Another knock against Bio Fuels

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

Quote »Yet another prominent scientist has joined the chorus against crop-derived biofuels, as Lewis Page reports. Dr Richard Pike, chief of the Royal Society of Chemistry, has said that biofuels are a "dead end" and "extremely inefficient", and that the government was wrong to impose a requirement for 5 per cent biofuel content in motor fuel by 2010. Dr Pike points out that "the 80 tonnes of kerosene used for a one-way commercial flight to New York is equivalent to the annual biofuel yield from an area of approximately 30 football pitches." At this rate it would take the whole of Britain's farmland just to run Heathrow.

It really is time to stop this nonsense. To produce these crops people are farming intensively, using more fertilizers and pesticides. In poorer countries people are cutting down virgin rainforest to plant biofuel crops. Poor people are finding corn and wheat priced out of their market, and the tanks of 4x4s are taking the food from the plates of poor families.

This is very straightforward. Biofuels are bad for the environment and bad for poor people. Like much so-called environmentalism they are based on bad science and ill-thought out consequences. They are popular with legislators and agri-businesses for rent-seeking reasons. The case against biofuels has been made overwhelmingly, and they should now be stopped. If we can derive fuel from waste biomass or algae, or from genetically engineered organisms, we should revisit biofuels. But until and unless that happens we should immediately withdraw the commitment to biofuel targets. This is tokenism gone mad and should be stopped and replaced by more useful and less damaging activity. [/quote]I've been saying this for years but nobody listens....

rn79870
Car: 2008 G35 & 2005 Vette C6 vert.

Not true, we listened here! I see that biofuels are not an answer, except they will cut into the importing of foreign oil.

I read an article yesterday (somewhere) about whether or not the rush to electric vehicles would over load the electric grid and cause the price of electricity to go through the ceiling (if even available). One expert said no way, there's plenty. However, I've seen enough rolling blackouts to know better. Honda, lets see how far your FCV goes towards helping this.

audtatious
Car: 2017 Q60 Red Sport. Gone: 2014 Q50s, 2008 G37s coupe, 2007 G35s Sedan, 2002 Maxima SE, 2000 Villager Estate (Quest), 1998 Quest, 1996 Sentra GXE

I was generalizing about internet discussions I have had. Seems a lot of people will grasp at anything and not really think about the consequences. Hell, on one forum a member stated that I could use my grass clippings as BioFuel. Guess I need a Mr. BioFusion on my Maxima?

I believe I made comments about additional power consumption as well and the negative impact that would have as there are still a large number of coal-based plants that can't be easily replaced since Nuke power is still being blocked.

I R smart at times

Return to “Politics Etc.”