Another KA24De Starting Issue

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
RSTi95
Car: 1995 240SX
1995 Subaru Impreza

Hey guys Im new to this forum and relatively new to the Nissan Game in general. I have a 95 S14 that I just finished putting the motor together on and it wont start. It cranks and pops a bunch like it wants to fire but doesnt and then pops less and less the more it cranks. Unplug the fuel injectors and it will start and run for a second then die. Plug them back in and repeat the process. So I know its just flooding the cylinders but Im at a loss to why. Quick history:

Bought car in July of last year drove and ran fine, headgasket went, also decided to change the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor. Then in August it decided to start rod knocking. Fast foward 7 months and the motor is back together with new bearings, rings, gaskets and KA24E pistons because they were just laying around in another motor that probably would have never been used again.

So nothing that really affects the car starting was touched other than the mechanical timing, which I checked multiple times while it was going together. Distributor timing has been checked atleast 30 times, fuel injectors all showed 11.2-11.3 on an ohm check. Pulled the distributor and with the key on can manually spin the distributor and hear the fuel injectors click, fuel pump cycle, and even the spark plugs fire when pulled and grounded to the motor. Tried spark plugs gapped at .040, .030 and .025 no difference. Have tried unplugging the MAF, nothing. Grounds checked and even a couple added. PLugs pulled and dried multiple times. Fuel rail pulled and injectors sprayed into bottles, not spraying an excess amount of fuel and pulsing as they should.

Im at a loss here honestly. Im not quite sure what it could be. Tomorrow I am going to try replacing the coolant temp sensor as Ive seen in my searching that cause alot of issues but also heard that the car should start with it unplugged. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Id like to start driving it again.

frapjap
Car: '99 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am
'07 Subaru Legacy

Sounds like quite the pickle. I found this in our articles section:
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/240sx- ... -cold.html

If you're still having luck, drop a link to this thread into this one, and Papasmurf will be able to help you out- especially since you're mechanically inclined!
the-i-m-new-here-and-i-have-a-simple-qu ... -1710.html

RSTi95
Car: 1995 240SX
1995 Subaru Impreza

thanks for the links but I figured it out. it actually turned out to be the distributor being off a tooth, despite me checking it multiple times. Feel kind of stupid about it actually. I was so used to it needing to be set a tooth off to go in and line up but for some reason it was going in weird and needed to be 2 teeth. Whatever it works now, other than it overheating, pretty sure just air in the system or the thermostat is junk, but thats easier to figure out

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”