Another ITB'd KA

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
conway240
Car: '95 240sx

It starts and runs, but needs fine tuning. Also, I'm building another bottom end to get as much as I can from an NA build. I know the hp numbers won't be very high, but it'll be fun!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iheuraxr ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

More details to come later......

Feel free to ask any questions in the meantime!
Last edited by Rogue One on Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix video link

SoundEfx

Nice work.

Any write ups?

conway240

Write-ups as in how-to? Nah, I just used Google to find out the info. It's pretty easy to find out there. Now, if you're talking about a build thread, that'll come later after I get the new bottom end built, tuned, and dyno'd.

SoundEfx

Nah, I meant build, sorry.

I will wait on your build thread because I am in tuning misery...lol

conway240

Well, here's a quick list of what's done/will be done to the car within the next month or so:

-Hayabusa ITB's w/Schnitz Racing Velocity Stacks
-Jim Wolf S1 cams (stock valvetrain)
-Wiseco 10.8:1 pistons (10.5:1 w/stock bore, per Wiseco is 10.8:1 at 90.5mm bore)
-Carillo Pro-A rods
-Clevite main & rod bearings
-ARP head studs
-Cometic MLS Exhaust gasket (no performance gain, just longevity of the gasket)
-Pacesetter 4-1 header
-Circuit Sports 3" test pipe
-Tomei ExpremeTi Exhaust
-4.63 final drive ratio
-B&m short shifter w/Circuit Sports return springs
-Enkei RPF1 wheels (17x9 front, 17x10 rear) with Toyo Proxes R1R Tires (235/45 and 255/40)
-Z1 Aluminum driveshaft
-Kaaz LSD
-Megasquirt PNP2 for management
I think that's everything pertinent to how the car will run and put down power. Obviously, there's other things done to the suspension.

I guess if there's enough interest, I can do a proper build thread and sort out the entire car so people can see what's done to get whatever my result will be.

SoundEfx

Damn, that's a nice list. Good choice with the rims, can't go wrong with some RPF's.

I don't plan to do as much, but I am considering what cams to get.
What made you go with the S1's?

conway240

Well, the original build (which blew ringlands due to a bad tune) was a budget high compression with SOHC pistons. The S1s were best bang for buck in terms of getting cams that would work well in high rpm with the compression as well as keeping cost down since they're designed to work with the stock valvetrain. Jim Wolf has been working with Nissan factory racing for years, so they know these motors inside and out. I believe (may be wrong, so don't take my word for god) that they're partially responsible for the monster KA's used in CORR racing. If Nissan USA trusts them in racing, I trust them in a lightly built street car.

conway240

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/N3mVyX8MYUY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here's a short clip of 40-60 accel in 3rd gear. It's obviously not that fast, but I chose that spot to really hear the ITBs. If you listen closely, you can hear the change from part throttle to WOT.

conway240

Here's a shot of my car that NissanRaceShop shared on their Facebook page! Image courtesy of http://www.caplephoto.com

Harrythook
Car: 98 S70 T-5 (blown up)
95 S14
69 Road Runner (hidden away)
Too many Volvo's

Good looking car (and couple). We just bought the twin of that car although ours has seen a bit of hard riding and put away wet.

conway240

Thanks Harry! Mine has seen it's fair share of hard riding as well....it's a DD/racer combo. I'm not really concerned about reliability these days, most of the parts are new after being upgraded.

Also, here's a sound clip of the ITBs after the new bottom end. I'm only revving to 7k for now, but I'll be going to 7200 on race days. Doesn't sound like 200 rpm would make much of a difference, but the sound completely changes and it pulls better from that 200 rpm as well.

https://youtu.be/WNoai0KCgIE (Sorry, can't get the embed to work right!)

Harrythook
95 S14
Too many Volvo's

Nice video. Love the sound, would go there if it was not gonna be a turbo car. Then again, ITB's with a matched length intake runner to the turbo pipe? Hmm, brain in overdrive.

You inspired me to charge up the gopro, time to find a mount point on the S14 thats not going to incriminate me.....

conway240

Soooo, the tune is still way off, so there's much more power to be made. I've yet to have it on the dyno.....there aren't many around central Arkansas and it's hard to get in touch with the people who run them.

Here's another video showing it running down the 1000ft. Just a 12.32 @ 84
https://youtu.be/cCuXAIvTIFM

conway240

Well, I'm a bit late posting this update......

The car was stolen two weeks ago (6/13). It was seen possibly heading toward Louisiana, but there have been no sightings since. Fingers crossed that I get even a little bit of it back.....

Harrythook
95 S14
Too many Volvo's

Any word on car?
Sucks big time, everybody's worst dream.....

conway240

"No news yet" ~ Exact and complete e-mail from the detective assigned to auto theft. Go figure, a city of 200k people and only ONE detective that handles auto theft.

Who knows what happened to it....I've been scouring craigslist with a searchall within 1000 miles and haven't seen my car nor any combination of parts from it.

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”