Another exhaust thread...with a twist!

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
ryantown
Car: 2010 Altima Base

I know, not again. But this one is different. It's a challenge if you will, but many of you will probably still be very unhappy with me. Flame if you must, but I know this forum has a ton of knowledge, whereas the 4th gen PF forums are somewhat weak/nonexistent on this topic.

We recently purchased a 2017 Pathfinder, it has a bit of the 350 sound but I'd love to get as close to a stock sounding 350z. I think most of us can agree that the single exhaust VQ35 has a sweet and unique tone, and somewhat quiet in stock form. That's what I'm looking for. Yes the PF is a family car, but so is a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon, and plenty of them running around with aftermarket exhaust.

While the stock PF Y pipe is not the same and the motor is positioned differently, it is a single exhaust with a resonator and muffler, both tucked up before the rear axle. I've thought of finding a stock 350 resonator and replacing the suitcase style resonator on it now. Or perhaps just a simple muffler swap might get a better tone. I think it's clear I need to keep both a resonator and a muffler to keep the tone and drone low. I know the muffler structures are different on the two vehicles, but any thoughts on how I might improve the exhaust note without turning it into a loud, droning monster?

Thanks,

Ryan

Return to “350z / 370z Technical”