Another 2003 Infiniti M45 newbie with questions

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
DarkHavoC
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45

Hello all,

I love your forum postings I found a lot of great info on here.I just bought my 03 m45 on ebay from texas and had it shipped out to LA.I love it. Power and class. Can't beat it. A few questions:

1. Unfortunatly it did not come with an owner's guide/manual. I was wondering if there was a place online where I can download it for free. Tried googling it but I never had such a difficult time finding something on a particular topic such as this ('03 m45 searches that is).

2. With my 95 caddy I read that I didnt have to wait 5 mins or so in the mornings (approx 70 deg. temp.) to let the engine warm up before I take off. This was due to the stock computer set up. What is the protocal with the M? Do I have to wait in the mornings or can I start up and go.. (obviously im not gonna floor it right away, just norm driving conditions til I hit the freeway).

3. My car needs some maintence that i was planning on doing myself.. brake pad replacements and oil change (i've always done this myself for all my other cars latest yr being a 98 maxima.) Is this car any different in basic oil and brake changing principles? I never dealt with a car with so much electronics on it.

4. Also my driver's side motor mount is broke.. I'm going to be changing that myself as well. Is there anything I should watch out for? I found the forum on how to change the motormount for the Q but nothing for the M.

5. I have a navigation system but no disk.. I understand that the latest version is 6.4 and I need an update cd zenrin.com has it for $190, found one on ebay for 150ish.. a) Does anyone know of a place that has it for cheaper? b) Is there a hugh difference in V. 6.3 and 6.4? c) Do I need the update cd as well or can I run without it?

thats all of my questions for now, thanx a bunch for taking the time to read this. And I thank you in advance for your responses.

nissan_blood
Car: Striped s14

Welcome to NICO! There is a flashing red search button hit that type in what your looking for and see if you find anything there.

SilverShadow

You can download a free copy of the owners manual here:

http://www.nissan-techinfo.com...id=57

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

DarkHavoC wrote:Hello all,

I love your forum postings I found a lot of great info on here.
Welcome to NICO! Glad to see that you did a lot of reading.
DarkHavoC wrote:I just bought my 03 m45 on ebay from texas and had it shipped out to LA. I love it. Power and class. Can't beat it.
Definitely! I love my 2003 M45 as well.
DarkHavoC wrote:1. Unfortunatly it did not come with an owner's guide/manual. I was wondering if there was a place online where I can download it for free. Tried googling it but I never had such a difficult time finding something on a particular topic such as this ('03 m45 searches that is).
The site in a previous post (thanks, guys, for the prompt responses!) is the place to download it from.
DarkHavoC wrote:2. With my 95 caddy I read that I didnt have to wait 5 mins or so in the mornings (approx 70 deg. temp.) to let the engine warm up before I take off. This was due to the stock computer set up. What is the protocal with the M? Do I have to wait in the mornings or can I start up and go.. (obviously im not gonna floor it right away, just norm driving conditions til I hit the freeway).
Multiple schools of thought here. As long as you do not floor it hard, it should be okay to drive off after start-up. Particularly since you are in a warm climate.

My own approach is to let it idle long enough for the temp gauge to start climbing up from the bottom. This usually occurs in about 30 seconds to 2 minutes - depending on the whether. Inside my garage, it does not get bone cold, even in winter (and it is Northern California!), so less than a minute is very typical.
DarkHavoC wrote:3. My car needs some maintence that i was planning on doing myself. brake pad replacements and oil change (i've always done this myself for all my other cars latest yr being a 98 maxima.) Is this car any different in basic oil and brake changing principles? I never dealt with a car with so much electronics on it.
Oil is easy, but you have to have a lift or jack-stands. Personally, I consider being under the car dangerous enough that I just pay a local shop to do it. I buy the oil from Kragen (using Mobil 1 0W-40), the filter from Infiniti (I get them from http://www.everythinginfiniti.com ... ask for Joe Tsensky) and the local shops (Precision Tune, Goodyear) charges me $12 to $15 for the change. Well worth it, in my opinion, to avoid the danger and the hassle.

Now brakes are something else. I am not enough of a DIY'er to have attempted it, but it ought to be simple enough for anybody with a mechanical bent to do the job, I would guess! And, if you are ready to do the motor mounts yourself, then the brakes ought to be a piece of cake for you!
DarkHavoC wrote:4. Also my driver's side motor mount is broke.. I'm going to be changing that myself as well. Is there anything I should watch out for? I found the forum on how to change the motormount for the Q but nothing for the M.
At the same site where you can get the Owner's Manual, you can also sign up for a day's worth of access to the Service Manuals for $20 - dont't forget to download all the TSB's too. This will give you a lot of information about what is involved and you can decide for yourself if you can do it. I think the car is new enough that nobody has done it as a DIY yet ... at least, not that I know of!
DarkHavoC wrote:5. I have a navigation system but no disk.. I understand that the latest version is 6.4 and I need an update cd zenrin.com has it for $190, found one on ebay for 150ish.. a) Does anyone know of a place that has it for cheaper? b) Is there a hugh difference in V. 6.3 and 6.4? c) Do I need the update cd as well or can I run without it?
No ideas here, unfortunately. I do not have the Nav on my car, so ... hopefully, somebody else will chime in. I would recommend checking with Joe Tsensky at http://www.everythinginfiniti.com though. He may be able to get it for a lot less than you would expect. He is associated with an Infiniti dealership and all parts are OEM, and he treats us folks right!

Good luck and welcome to the Infiniti club!

Z

infinititech1

make sure you replace the drain plug gasket when you change the oil or it will leak...they are 99 cents at the dealer. brakes are not hard at all to do...just make sure you have something that will compress the piston back into the caliper. motor mounts are not hard to do...its just having the right tools...

DarkHavoC

hey guys, thanx a lot for all your help and quick response.ill be heading out to the dealer to get the gaskets to change the oil today and the brake ill do next weekend once they come in from everything infiniti.

again thanx a bunch.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

infinititech1 wrote:make sure you replace the drain plug gasket when you change the oil or it will leak...they are 99 cents at the dealer.
Definitely! Sorry I forgot to mention this! They are made of copper (I believe) and should not be re-used ... always use new ones and properly let them crush down when you torque the drain plug back on!

Z

DarkHavoC

yeh i figured that out this morning haha.. it was pretty easy to do.. I thought i would have to take off the entire underpanel. Its a pretty cool thing that infiniti did my making that little foldable cut out that exposes the filter and bolt... took about 20mins... im actually getting ready to work on the motor mount now.

nmgoodthing
Car: Brilliant Silver 2003 M45 / Pine Silver 2004 Lexus GX470 / Black 93 300zx TT

DarkHavoC wrote:Hello all,

5. I have a navigation system but no disk.. I understand that the latest version is 6.4 and I need an update cd zenrin.com has it for $190, found one on ebay for 150ish.. a) Does anyone know of a place that has it for cheaper? b) Is there a hugh difference in V. 6.3 and 6.4? c) Do I need the update cd as well or can I run without it?
I got a Version 6.1 OEM for cheap on eBay. I then upgraded to 6.4 with the software update. I didn't notice any difference in the maps. At least here in NM. Might be different for a large city. You will need the CD upgrade to use 6.4 though. I found a refurbished copy of both on Ebay for 70 bucks. works like a charm.

Teknic73

welcome to NICO, i'm new myself and i also live in Burbank

if i didn't find black that was the 2nd color i wanted, now we can still be unique in burbank

DarkHavoC

hey nmgoodthing.. thanx for the input.. I did see that one guy selling an "aftermarket" dvd and cd for 75.. I asked him to explain in detail about the cd whether it was burned or what.. He didnt give a good answer so i figured he was full of it.. however if your saying that it worked for you maybe I should give him a shot.. better than spending $190.

hey wuz up teknic! where in burbank are you? I'm over by the buena vista library. pm/im me.

nmgoodthing
Car: Brilliant Silver 2003 M45 / Pine Silver 2004 Lexus GX470 / Black 93 300zx TT

Let me send you the info of the guy that I got mine from. It doesn't sound like the same person. Give me a day. The info is at home.

DarkHavoC

awesome, thanx a bunch

Teknic73

up by Woodberry Uni.

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”