Annoying Skyline gtst steering problem

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
brendandawsonn
Car: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTST Type M

I own a 1992 Nissan Skyline gtst, and here’s the problem: When I am driving and accelerating, once I get to around 3k rpm my steering wheel becomes loose and will adjust it’s self to the left, but doesn’t turn the car to the left at all, and it will stay slightly to the left as I’m driving. And when it’s turned that way, it pulls to the right. Once I start slowing down though, it will recenter smoothly. BUT, if I keep driving with it stuck to the left, (like on a highway or a long road with no stops) it will randomly correct itself and the steering wheel will recenter, and when it does that it makes the car swerve. After it recenters, it will accelerate with no problem at all, and never adjust to left again until the next time I drive it. Any ideas what this could be?? It’s super annoying and really sketchy to drive since it swerves kinda violently when it corrects itself.

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Welcome to NICO Club!

That steering stuff sounds unsafe and sketchy. At a minimum you need an alignment. You may have broken internals in the steering rack, but I'll hope that isn't it (it's not that likely to my knowledge anyway). Could be some loose insulators/ bushings. I'm not sure why it would be affected by RPM unless something weird is up with the hydraulics. I think it would be difficult to turn the wheel sometimes if you had issues there.

You can jack your car up and inspect all the steering stuff with your hands and eyes. Looking for things that move freely or have play in them or are simply not connected. Tug and pull at the wheels and steering knuckles. Turn the wheel all the way left or right and tug some more on each side. See if anything is loose.
You should then take your car in for an alignment and have them also look around for odd stuff.

Get back to us with your findings please. Good luck!

Hitokiri_Gensai
Car: 92 Nissan Skyline GTS-t

It sounds like a HICAS steering problem possibly? The HICAS system is hydraulically controlled by the PS pump and its known to have issues when the system gets older.

macgiver

mac, engine torque peaks maybe acting on already mentioned worn / broken components or strut tower or frame. Look to what is "closest " to motor mounts as far as ANY suspension/steering component is concerned. :yesnod

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”