Android USB connectivity?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
NoTalentLoser

I'm trying to connect my Android phone to my M37 via the USB port so I can listen to music, but it doesn't seem to be working. The screen in the car is giving me a "Check USB or iPod" message. I've tried cycling through all the radio-related settings (e.g., Disc/Aux) but I can't get the music I'm playing on my phone to play through the car's speakers as well. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Thanks...

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

I haven't tried using my Android in that manner; I just use it to stream via BT. Is there a reason you are not going that route? There are also USB settings on the phone, have you tried messing with those?

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

Use bluetooth, even on android 5.0 usb audio doesnt seem to be enabled yet.

NoTalentLoser

Are you guys kidding me? I can plug my phone into literally any other device via USB and it will play music, but this functionality doesn't exist with the M37?

I have tried to tolerate the BT system, but the connection I get with my phone is so spotty and in-and-out that I can rarely even listen to one full song without the audio cutting off for at least a few seconds. Also, it often takes 20-30 seconds for the car to even recognize that a song is being played, which means I end up missing that much of the song. Then whenever a new song is going to play, it randomly loses the connection and I have to go into the touchscreen menu and turn BT off and then on again, because sometimes it simply won't recognize that my phone is playing another song. It frustrates me to the point that I really can't even stand to put up with it.

My car has had the BT update/recall applied. I know it's not an issue with my phone because the BT music function in a family member's Acura works flawlessly and without ANY interruptions, hiccups, lockups, or connection losses.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I can't even connect my LG G3 via BT. I've never tried, gave it 2 minutes, wasn't successful and gave up.

That being said, I have confirmed it doesn't see the phone.

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

When you say "I can plug my phone into literally any other device via USB and it will play music", does this include other vehicles, such as your family member's Acura? Or are you referring to Windows and other Android devices?

NoTalentLoser

SmoovC wrote:When you say "I can plug my phone into literally any other device via USB and it will play music", does this include other vehicles, such as your family member's Acura? Or are you referring to Windows and other Android devices?
Yep, the Acura can directly play stored music files via a USB-connected phone:

http://owners.acura.com/vehicles/inform ... onnections

... But usually, when I'm driving/riding in that car, I just use the BT since it connects so quickly and does such a seamless job of maintaining the phone-to-car connection during songs (as well as from song-to-song).

I know it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I'm surprised that a car that had a near-$60k sticker price is equipped with technology that's less cutting-edge than an entry-level SUV costing around half as much.

I guess I'll have to just burn all the music I own to CDs since I literally cannot drive and listen to music via BT at the same time... there are just so many various hiccups and delays that I end up being a driving hazard because I'm constantly glancing between my phone and the car's touchscreen, trying to figure out why a song is skipping, not playing at all, etc.

Also, why on earth doesn't the car have an Aux input?! Without at least one of those or USB connectivity, the only options for listening to music are via CD or BT.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

Or iPod. I don't like Apple, but the iPod interface is quite nice.

SmoovC

I find the link to the Acura site interesting; it mentions USB support, but makes no mention of MTP support. That leads me to believe that either you have an older Android phone, or that Acura offers MTP support, but makes no mention of it?

Just for S&Gs, I tried my HTC One Max with Android 4.4.2, and confirm your findings: it does not recognize the device storage; either the internal 32GB, or the 128GB micro SD card.

Rather than burn a bunch of CDs, maybe an iPod is in your future? I rarely use the phone to stream via BT, although it does work quite well for me. I use the USB for an iPod. The on-screen iPod interface is quite nice, and makes quick work of navigating through a large collection; much easier than even a 6 inch phone screen; at least for me.
Last edited by SmoovC on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoTalentLoser

IlyaKol wrote:Or iPod. I don't like Apple, but the iPod interface is quite nice.
An iPod won't really work either; I've gotten so used to just streaming the music I listen to in the car from sites like Grooveshark, Rdio, or even YouTube that I haven't actually downloaded/uploaded MP3s to any devices in years. In other words, the problem with an iPod is that the music has to already "be" on the iPod (I.e., no streaming), whereas with my phone, I can just perform an online search on a whim and listen to the music instantly.

NoTalentLoser

SmoovC wrote:I find the link to the Acura site interesting; it mentions USB support, but makes no mention of MTP support. That leads me to believe that either you have an older Android phone, or that Acura offers MTP support, but makes no mention of it?

Just for S&Gs, I tried my HTC One Max with Android 4.4.2, and confirm your findings: it does not recognize the device storage; either the internal 32GB, or the 128GB micro SD card.
I haven't driven the Acura in a while and the last time I did when I happened to plug my phone in via USB, it was with my older phone, so maybe that's the case. But still, Acura's BT connection is unwavering -- once your phone's connected, it's connected and responds instantly to any operations you perform on your phone. Dealing with Infiniti's BT connection is like trying to connect to a wi-fi hotspot that's maintained by an old 56k modem dial-up connection. Why does it have to so suck so bad? If it's a result of Infiniti cutting corners to save $$$, why did they decide to no longer include an Aux connector, since they had to anticipate that people would notice the crappy BT quality and b**** about it?

Ilya

Yeah, if all you do is stream then you are up a creek without a paddle lol.

I have XM radio + iPod and I'm pretty much set.

NoTalentLoser

IlyaKol wrote:Yeah, if all you do is stream then you are up a creek without a paddle lol.

I have XM radio + iPod and I'm pretty much set.
That sucks! $50k+ for a car, and they don't even include an adequately functioning streaming function?! I think I am literally in a bit of shock here... how on earth can a car like this have less functionality than a POS 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser?

And does anyone know why the BT sucks as much as it does? Is Infiniti working an a software update for this?

NoTalentLoser

Also... if someone has Pandora or XM Radio on their Android phone, is there virtually no way of connecting it to the car other than via the BT connection? I actually cancelled my "full" XM subscription a while back because over the last few years, they've cancelled the 3-4 stations I used to listen to, but the mobile-specific XM service still includes most of those stations. So in other words, the only way I can listen to XM now is, you guessed it, through my Android phone. So I guess my choices are to either deal with the crappy BT or don't listen to XM/Pandora?

NoTalentLoser

Would something like this possibly work? I would plug the Aux end into my phone, and then plug the USB plug into the M37's USB port:

http://www.amazon.com/niceeshop-Black-M ... 00FPIYP5S/

I figure it won't work, but just want to make sure...

Ilya

No, I tried that. Doesn't work. Although mine didn't have that charger part too...mine was just 3.5 to USB.

SmoovC

What specific phone are we talking about, and what version of Android? The reason I ask is that with two different phones (a Galaxy Note II and the current One Max), I have had no BT connection issues.

I tend to agree that the car really does need a 3.5mm aux in jack. Hell, my girlfriend's 2011 Sentra SL has one; but doesn't have BT streaming from the Factory. That was easily solved with a $30 BT receiver.

NoTalentLoser

I have a Droid Mini running on Android 4.4.4. I don't think it's a problem with my phone because it connects via BT in the Acura in a matter of seconds (usually no more than 1-2) and maintains the connection until I disable BT on my phone.

Would something like this work?:

http://www.amazon.com/Supersonic-IQ-207 ... 8330966859

withomps44
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37x

I stream from Spotify on my iPhone both BT and USB to my 2011 M. Sounds like you just need a real phone. ;)

SmoovC

withomps44 wrote:I stream from Spotify on my iPhone both BT and USB to my 2011 M. Sounds like you just need a real phone. ;)
If by saying "a real phone" you mean no expandable storage, a small battery, proprietary Apple software, and specs matching a 2012 release date Android phone, then yes, I would agree. :chuckle:
Last edited by SmoovC on Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NoTalentLoser

Hardy har, but then why does the phone work just fine in all other BT connection scenarios (such as with the Acura)? My phone might not be what most consider to be "high performance," but it's worked just fine for me in every other capacity until now.

withomps44, how are you able to stream Spotify via USB?

SmoovC

All kidding aside, have you tried deleting the BT profile in both the car, and on the phone? I have found in many instances this helps; maybe it will for you too. :dblthumb:

wideopn11
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x Moonlight White

Takeda CAI
Stillen exhaust w/ MeganRacing Y-pipe
SCALE coilovers 16K/10K F/R
Akebono BBK
Cusco strutbar
25mm spacers F/R
Uprev tune by seymore4

I dont have any issues with BT streaming from my 5.0 Nexus 5. You might try (like others have said) delete your BT profile from the car and them completely re-sync to your phone. I've had to do this for my wife's Lexus several time esp after upgrading her phones software.

Ilya

My phone always connects with only phone or whatever...never music. Odd that all ya'll phones work.

SmoovC

IlyaKol wrote:My phone always connects with only phone or whatever...never music. Odd that all ya'll phones work.
If you go into BT settings on the phone, you can set it to use for hands free and audio; just check both settings. :dblthumb:

Ilya

Both settings have always been checked. Phone only connects in hands free. This happened with my highly customized (ROM and rooted) HTC One (M7) as well as my current LG G3 (stock ROM, but rooted).

SmoovC

Interesting. I had not experienced that with a rooted and ROM'd Note II, or the current stock One Max. The general consensus of this thread seems to be that BT is a PITA. ;)

Ilya

Agreed :rotflmao

SmoovC

Yeah..... 1st world problems, huh?! :biggrin:

NoTalentLoser

I've only tried playing music once or twice since doing this, but I went into the BT menu and deleted my profile, as well as those of the previous owner, and the latency/connection issues seem to be significantly improved. We'll see how it functions over the next few days.

Also... I noticed that the previous driver had at least 6-7 BT profiles.... hopefully the car didn't serve as the chauffeur wagon of a buncha party-animal hooligans. :facepalm:

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”