Android Tablet

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

I have had a Motorola Xoom for about a month and a half, but I just received an Asus Tranformer today (I received the keyboard dock for it a week ago). I'm liking it a lot so far and unless I find something terribly wrong with the Transformer, the Xoom is getting returned to Costco. Anyone else sporting an Android Tablet?

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I came very close to buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Xoom, but ended up going with an iPad 1 instead, because they're an excellent product for the money right now. Android tablets are becoming better and better, but even though I love my HTC EVO, I just wanted something that was reliable and just works when I need it to. Apple does that very well, while they may be limited, their devices are always stable and smooth.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the Android platform as well, for different reasons though. Mainly because it's so customizable, there is an endless amount of tweaks and support.

C-Kwik

A33 wrote:I came very close to buying a Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Xoom, but ended up going with an iPad 1 instead, because they're an excellent product for the money right now. Android tablets are becoming better and better, but even though I love my HTC EVO, I just wanted something that was reliable and just works when I need it to. Apple does that very well, while they may be limited, their devices are always stable and smooth.

Don't get me wrong though, I love the Android platform as well, for different reasons though. Mainly because it's so customizable, there is an endless amount of tweaks and support.
No need to defend your choice. The Ipad is a great tablet. Only reason I didn't consider it for myself is because I want to be able to pay for an app only once and use it on both my phone and the tablet. As a result, I'll probably stick with Android devices outside of productivity computing. I've recommended the iPad to many vested iPhone owners for the same reason.

Kompresshun
Administrator
Car: 2020 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4, 2017 Ford F150 4x4 SuperCab 3.5L Ecoboost/10AT, 2005 Nissan Pathfinder SE Offroad 5AT

I'm really interested in HTC's upcoming tablets, especially the 10" one. I'm hoping my father in law picks one up so I can play with it and see how Sense UI is in tablet form. Android seems like they're going in the right direction with their tablet market though, i'm very pleased that they announced Android 3.1(Ice Cream Sandwich) will be for phones and tablets, rather than a tablet only platform like Honeycomb. That was a huge mistake with Honeycomb, not making apps for phones compatible with tablets that were running Honeycomb, but thankfully the realized that it wasn't such a good idea after all.

I see your point on the apps though, I thought about the same thing myself, but I have a large amount of apps from my iPod touch that I could use with the iPad as well. I did think about that though, before purchasing the iPad, but there weren't any apps on my phone that I felt like I would need to use on a tablet.

ommnag

I love Android tablets. The two best 10.1-inch Android tablets are the EeePad Transformer and Galaxy Tab 10.1.

asnorton44
Car: 2001 Infiniti QX4

I want to get the ASUS Transformer Prime. It features Tegra 3 and native Ice Cream Sandwich support. I think its the best bet.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Tegra 3 is definitely exciting stuff, and ARM is threatening EIGHT CORE processors by the middle of next year.

I still have problem with the idea of carrying something that big that doesn't do anything my phone won't, though. Which is where I get excited about Windows 8 tablets.

Kompresshun
Administrator

While the new processors are exciting, it makes Android less desirable to me. With them moving so quickly, I don't have any interest in purchasing another Android product until they slow down. I don't want to purchase a tablet or phone that will be old technology in 6 months or less, that's just plain ridiculous to me. My father in law JUST bought a Sony Tablet S with the Tegra 2 and they're already getting ready to roll out the Tegra 3's. That pisses me off... along with the fact that there are SO MANY different tablets and phones on the market that it drives me nuts.

I've already decided that my next phone will be an iPhone or a Windows phone, because Android has left a lot to be desired since i've been using the platform. Putting aside the fast moving hardware they keep pushing out for it, the OS always seems to be lacking. It just seems like it's never going to be as polished as other OS's and while that may not be an issue to some people, it bugs the hell out of me. If it weren't for Sense UI, I would've already moved away from Android altogether. Don't get me wrong... it has it's benefits, but the benefits don't outweigh the downfalls for me personally.

I am very excited to see what the Windows 8 tablets are like though, but I plan on sticking with an iPad in the future as of right now. My iPad has been top notch ever since I got it.

WantaG50
Car: 95 Q45

I'm using a archos 80g9 running on android ice cream shop. I was going to get a iPad but when you have a iPhone like I have it seems like getting a iPad is redundant. Not to meant ion the archos was have the price of a ipad

C-Kwik

WantaG50 wrote:I'm using a archos 80g9 running on android ice cream shop. I was going to get a iPad but when you have a iPhone like I have it seems like getting a iPad is redundant. Not to meant ion the archos was have the price of a ipad
Generally, I tend to recommend iPhone owners get an iPad and Android phone owners get an Android Tablet simply so you don't have to pay twice for the same or similar apps. But both platforms are great.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

It's quite likely I will pick up a Nexus 7 sometime soon. I have jellybean running on my Ville and love it. I also love the 7 inch tablet format for its blend of pocketability and screen real estate.

Also Google Now is win.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”