Android Freaks Rejoice! Nexus One is coming!

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
Chaos the Xile
Car: 1974 Datsun 260Z

I know that many of you are waiting on the next big thing in the cellphone market and i think that Google has hit the nail on the head and sunk it this time1 The Google Nexus One is coming this year and I think this will be the trump card that the industry needs to finally make iPhone users look out! I know the Sony Xperia X10 is coming this year but with a price tag of almost $1000 who can afford that, especially with the winter season here for many of us and parts to buy for our cars! With a 1GHz processor and a 5Megapixel camera with LED flash and a host of other goodies I don't see any competition in sight!Check this thing out and put your feed back on it!

http://www.engadget.com/search...adget

RCA

With Google's free texting "Google Talk" and Googles free phone service Google Voice, essentially all you would need is a providers Data plan and you can have free phone features.

With T-Mobile $20 bucks get me unlimited Data and boom I am set.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I love the choice of name. Android + Nexus 1 is an awesome reference to Philip d!ck's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

MinisterofDOOM wrote:I love the choice of name. Android + Nexus 1 is an awesome reference to Philip d!ck's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep.
Ah! I overlooked that ... indeed, very cool! That is one of my favorite books and favorite sci-fi movie ("Bladerunner") based on that book.

Z

Chaos the Xile
Car: 1974 Datsun 260Z

HAHA Yeah especially since the phone comes rooted it will be easier for you to load all of your favorite rom's! I cant wait, been messing around with a few new updates from cyanogen

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

szhosain wrote:
Ah! I overlooked that ... indeed, very cool! That is one of my favorite books and favorite sci-fi movie ("Bladerunner") based on that book.

Z
I just bought a Bluray player, so now I have to repurchase my Bladerunner collector's edition on bluray.http://www.amazon.com/Runner-F...6PKP2

Already have it on DVD but if there's any movie I MUST have in hi-def it's Bladerunner.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

MinisterofDOOM wrote:
I just bought a Bluray player, so now I have to repurchase my Bladerunner collector's edition on bluray.http://www.amazon.com/Runner-F...6PKP2

Already have it on DVD but if there's any movie I MUST have in hi-def it's Bladerunner.
Yes, indeed!

I bought this collectors edition set (in Blue Ray format) for $20 from an off-beat web site (it was original disks, not a rip-off copy). It was just the video disks ... did not have the other stuff shown in the Amazon link above.

If you are interested, I will see if I can find the site info.

Z

RCA

What the hell is a "Bladerunner"?

MinisterofDOOM
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Blade runner is a term from a 70s sci-fi novel about black market medical services in a society where medical care is very expensive. A take on gun runner, etc. Smuggling, basically.

The term was chosen for the movie adapation of Do Androids Dream because the two have similar sci-fi themes and it was considered a more interesting title than something more straightforward like "Dangerous Days." In the movie, blade runner is a slang term for the division of the police detective force that hunts down and retires illegal replicants. So the main character is a blade runner.

Oh, and this:

RCA

Ahh, now I know what it is. The term sounded familiar...

Update:Nexus has been nothing but trouble since it has come out. T-Mobile and Google weren't prepared to handle the Nexus if any issues occured and well people are pissed.

takethewall
Car: 1994 300zx n/a, 1998 I30

I've gone from an iPhone to an HTC Hero, and I love it. I can't believe I was an iPhone zombie. No, the Hero isn't as smooth as the iPhone, but it is equally as good in most other respects, and better in some as well. (the music player is a huge exception). But now I want that processor in the Nexus 1....

PoorManQ45

RCA wrote:With Google's free texting "Google Talk" and Googles free phone service Google Voice, essentially all you would need is a providers Data plan and you can have free phone features.

With T-Mobile $20 bucks get me unlimited Data and boom I am set.
Did you ever get Google Voice setup for free calls?

I have been looking in to it and got a little over my head with the SIP configurations...

RCA

PoorManQ45 wrote:
Did you ever get Google Voice setup for free calls?

I have been looking in to it and got a little over my head with the SIP configurations...
My brother explained the process to me this morning...

For the G1:1) Download the Google Voice App2) Go to:http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html- Edit: Invite only though

3) Setup your Google Voice account. When using a Android based phone, one must have a Gmail account active inorder to use the phone, the gmail account you used for the phone is the one you use to setup Google Voice.

Now your done. You use the Google Voice app to do all your calls ect.

My brother uses the 2nd number for a direct to voice mail. He gives it to people he isn't familiar with ect. The videos in the above link have more details on Google Voice.

If you need one, I'll ask my brother to send you an invite.

ScottyUSN

RCA found your post when researching "IF" the N1's phone had BT problems with the G35 (Like my G1 phone does).

Looks like all Google (Android based) phones have issues.

I was read your comments on the google talk app w/G1, and if you or your brother as an invite to share. I would love to try this out.

Regardless, thanks for the info!

-Scotty [email protected]

PoorManQ45

RCA wrote: My brother explained the process to me this morning...

For the G1:1) Download the Google Voice App2) Go to:http://www.google.com/googlevoice/about.html- Edit: Invite only though

3) Setup your Google Voice account. When using a Android based phone, one must have a Gmail account active inorder to use the phone, the gmail account you used for the phone is the one you use to setup Google Voice.

Now your done. You use the Google Voice app to do all your calls ect.

My brother uses the 2nd number for a direct to voice mail. He gives it to people he isn't familiar with ect. The videos in the above link have more details on Google Voice.

If you need one, I'll ask my brother to send you an invite.
I could have sworn that there was an issue with this setup.

From what i found you could have your regular phone number forward calls to your GV number. This would make sure anyone that still had your regular number would get routed to GV.

I'll have to give it a shot to see.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”