Android Auto Audio Issue

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
datechboss101
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SL -- RIP
2018 Nissan Kicks SR -- RIP
2019 Nissan Rogue SV w/ Prem. Pack

There is an issue that is plaguing these new Nissan vehicles that supports Android Auto (anything from around 2018+ MY). The bug that most Nissan owners have been reporting on the Google Support thread relates to audio cutting off while using Android Auto is mostly a Nissan product (Kicks, Maxima, Rogue, Rogue Sport, Altima, Sentra, Versa). Many tips and tricks were given and with these so-called "updates", there has been issues still plaguing Nissan vehicles (that includes my 2019 Rogue).

For those unaware of this issue, here is a thread containing many Nissan owners' complaints on the Google Support forum:
https://support.google.com/androidauto/ ... 0169?hl=en

Here is an article relating to the bug affecting Nissan products:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/andr ... 42107.html

So if any of you have been experiencing this issue/bug, we just have to wait for either Nissan or Google to take action to fix this issue.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Android Auto is kind of a halfbaked mess.

I use it (cheap aftermarket unit in my older Pathfinder). But there are some major frustrations, and despite being "Android" Auto, it seems very picky about device support and compatibility. The worst thing about it, though, is that the wired connectivity seems very flakey, and only VERY new, high-end factory units have wireless support for it. And unlike Apple Carplay, you can't just add a module to add wireless support. I've looked into hacking wireless support into my cheap headunit, but it's...quarterass sketchy at best.

I should have a best-case compatibility scenario: Google Pixel 2 XL with Android Auto. But I still loose connection to the headunit frequently. And when the connection drops, neither side (headunit or phone) handles reconnecting intelligently or gracefully. Usually, I have to unplug the phone until they both stop screaming at each-other, then reconnect a "fresh" new connection.

I would not be surprised if Nissan were not the only brand affected, but I also wouldn't be surprised if there's some stupid hacky OS config issue in there somewhere that they just didn't configure right because Android documentation is actually Hell.

datechboss101

Its hilarious that the Google Support forums just keep on saying
" Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. For issues related to audio cutting out on Nissan cars, we've informed our partners with the issue. Please check out this thread for more updates. For other issues on the main post, please feel free to open a new thread if you are still experiencing issues. Thank you!"

RicerX
Car: '20 Titan Pro4X

datechboss101 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:09 pm
Its hilarious that the Google Support forums just keep on saying
" Hi everyone,

Thanks for all the responses. For issues related to audio cutting out on Nissan cars, we've informed our partners with the issue. Please check out this thread for more updates. For other issues on the main post, please feel free to open a new thread if you are still experiencing issues. Thank you!"
It's hilarious if you don't understand what's going on.

There are two known issues here - a Spotify issue and a Nissan issue. Google can only control their own software. Their partners here, Spotify and Nissan, can only control their own software. Google has determined the issues at hand lie on the sides of Spotify and Nissan, and are simply compartmentalizing the issues using basic troubleshooting techniques.

This happens all the time in software, especially software the interfaces with other software. Smartphone integration is still in its infancy and there are a lot of moving parts in order to get it nailed down. You have the smartphone platform, its in-car extension, the apps available on the smartphone, the apps ported to the in-car extension, and the interfaces onboard the vehicles that consume the in-car extensions. When one of those components changes, there are ripple effects in the stack. Sometimes changing one breaks everything.

datechboss101

TSB # NTB20-046a looks like a fix for this issue from Nissan's side, but I won't know anything from my side until I get this updated when I take this POS Rogue back to the dealership either tomorrow or Saturday for OC/TR. It says on the TSB its for 2019-20 Altima/Murano, but I am guessing it will also work for the Rogue.

Bored2001
Car: 2019 Nissan Rogue

datechboss101 wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:50 pm
TSB # NTB20-046a looks like a fix for this issue from Nissan's side, but I won't know anything from my side until I get this updated when I take this POS Rogue back to the dealership either tomorrow or Saturday for OC/TR. It says on the TSB its for 2019-20 Altima/Murano, but I am guessing it will also work for the Rogue.
Did this work?

What software version is your rogue now?

datechboss101

My Rogue is still on 0810. VStar can better explain here, because I am done with our 19 Rogue. There's me being done and fed up with Nissan for their half-$@! designs and now they can't even get their own suppliers to push out an update to fix this dang thing!

Return to “General Chat”