Android Auto and Telematics Control Unit?

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
R4LRetro
Car: 2018 Nissan Rogue Sport

Hello all, first post here. Did some searching and I didn't see anything related to this so figured I'd ask.

Last year I bought a 2018 Rogue Sport SL for 21k. Very nice ride, probably my favorite vehicle so far. With a good snow tire this thing has been a beast in central NY's Winters. It had around 20k miles on it at time of purchase. Before this, I had a 2005 Nissan Altima and I loved it, so I stuck with Nissan. One of the advertised features from the dealer was Android Auto. I've never had a vehicle with AA before, it sounds really nice to have. Well, after purchase, it seems it won't work without a Nissan Connect account, but I'm reading this no longer works in the 2017-2018 Rogue models due to AT&T discontinuing 2G/3G networks. I knew they were going away, but I had no idea Nissan Connect relied on those networks, and the dealer never mentioned it either. I'm kind of frustrated now because I feel like this is a really nice feature to have but is now locked out forever.

Doing some research online, I see there's a TCU that might have been updated for 4G connectivity, but this appears to be a rumor. Can someone confirm this if possible? Am I really not able to use AA in this car?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Scuttlebutt is that we were already supposed to be getting 4G retrofits, but the supply chain is in the way as usual. We got our first new Ariyas a few weeks ago and they were supposed to be here last March, the delay was purely because of chips and plastic. The retro TCU's are probably in the very same boat, literally and figuratively.

R4LRetro

So wait, there is a 4G upgrade for my vehicle and other models with the same issue? Is this something that will have to be purchased and installed when it becomes available or is Nissan pushing it out to affected drivers?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No upgrade yet, but there's supposed to be. I'd imagine Nissan will do the same thing they did with the 2G Leafs, you can upgrade those for a $100 deductible.

R4LRetro

Hell yes. Finally some good news. Thanks!

Return to “Rogue Forum”