And just like that...

A place for intelligent and well-thought-out discussion involving politics and associated topics. No nonsense will be tolerated at all.
WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

America decided that Democrats can GTFO. Bye!

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Bubba1
Car: 2003 Nissan 350z
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

I wonder if it's more a case of America being forced to choose between stepping in urine or feces. :)

srellim234
Car: 2007 silver Versa SL
hatchback w/CVT
(sold 08/2011)
2008 red Toyota Prius
(purchased 04/2016)

WDRacing wrote:America decided that Democrats can GTFO. Bye!
That's the attitude this country needs to get rid of.

I didn't support her but she probably will win more of the votes cast than Trump. As such he does not have a mandate by the majority of American citizens.

I was adamantly against Trump and I am definitely not optimistic about the future right now but he is going to be my president for the next four years and I believe in respecting the office if not the man personally. I honestly hope he proves my beliefs about both him and the Republican congress wrong and they actually try working for America instead of themselves at the expense of most Americans.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

WDRacing wrote:America decided that Democrats can GTFO. Bye!
You are misinterpreting the election results

Hillary is close to receiving a million more votes than Trump even though Trump won the electoral college vote and the presidency.
Not exactly a mandate.

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/r ... /president

Trump is my president as he is yours. I hope he does well and makes no mistakes getting us into another war
Will he end up being another Bush and crash our economy?
Time will tell.
No doubt it is going to be an interesting four years.

Telcoman

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

wow, a non partisan post by Howie. I must agree. Trump's win was fair but clearly NOT a "mandate" as more than half the voters voted AGAINST him. Had Hillary won, it would have been the same non-mandate. Hopefully Mr. Trump recognizes that, and softens his campaign rhetoric now that he's president and will to work together with the other side of the aisle and not go the "GTFO" route. the one thing I think we can all agree on is that it'll be an interesting 4 years.

WDRacing

We don't elect by majority vote. We use the electoral college. The popular vote can't even be used as a relevant measuring tool. In order for the pop vote to be anything other than a random number you'd have to announce beforehand that it will "count". Otherwise you have 100s of thousands of people that don't bother voting in states that go blue or red every single election. Example, lots of non democrats don't bother voting in CA or MA because it isn't "counted" due to the population density of the opposing party. In short, it's not even close to accurate. Who knows what the numbers would be like if everyone's vote actually counted.

The college prevents population centers from dictating law for the entire country.

As far as a mandate goes...we had a national election that decided ALL power will go to one party. All of it. Even with f*** Trump running as POTUS America still picked the GOP over the Democrats. With the Supreme court on the line and a polarizing figure declaring "yuge and wonderful change" the f*** DNC still handed over the power to everything.

When a tool like Trump leads the party to a total victory, I'd call it a mandate...whatever the f*** that means. The Gov is an utterly broken disaster, corrupt to the core at all levels. I mean f***, the DNC just screwed over half the country with it's blatant corruption and the media was in on it. It was done in plain site for all to see. The left had their blinders on early for this election. Everyone is all worried about what Trump will do while ignoring the DNC and the ruinous tactics they have used to subvert the country and its electoral system.

I voted Gary Johnson. Everyone that didn't should take a long hard look at why not? He was a much better candidate than Trump or HRC, but no. Everyone was manipulated and voted according to your own personal fears. This is the result.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

Brian, to be considered a mandate, Trump needed to have gotten more than 50% of the popular vote, and the RNC needed to at least add seats to the majorities they already had. But neither happened. More than half of all voters voted against Trump, (all other candidates combined) and the Dem's picked up a few Senate seats. Yes, it's obviously both a Trump and RNC victory, but not a mandate. You completely dismiss the popular vote as irrelevant. But If you want to know if an electoral victory is a "mandate", that's where the popular vote becomes relevant. I hope that helps.

Ironically, like New England weather, if you wait a short time, things in Congress change. If you look at past history, super majorities ( where one party has the majority in all 3 houses), tend to not last long long, as sooner or later whichever party in control will pass something the other party finds offensive enough to get organized and take advantage. And gerrymandering ensures that things stay close enough that the house and especially the Senate could flip majorities.. And if Trump somehow can get Congress to pass term limits, (I'm not sure they'd agree to it) flipping majorities could be even more common/shortlived.

WDRacing

The idea that you need a mandate in order to govern is silly imho. Just work to implement the plan you ran on. Consider this. Is the Gov functional? I would say no, at every level. The vast majority says the same thing. Does the Gov have your best intentions in mind? Nope.

Mandate.

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

WDRacing wrote:The idea that you need a mandate in order to govern is silly imho. Just work to implement the plan you ran on. Consider this. Is the Gov functional? I would say no, at every level. The vast majority says the same thing. Does the Gov have your best intentions in mind? Nope.
You
Mandate.
I think you're missing my point. You don't need a mandate to govern. A mandate is helpful if you want the majority of Americans to support your ideas after you're elected. After such a contentious, negative, fact-oblivious campaign season, Mr. Trump begins his term with the highest disapproval rating ever for a newly elected president (over 50%) . That is NOT a "mandate" or endorsement by any stretch of the imagination. If he attempts to ram through everything on his platform without getting any cooperation from the other side, his super majority will likely be short-lived. you want an example? Obamacare. Now the super majority has reversed. Do you honestly think the Dem's are gonna act any more maturely than the GOP has over the last 8 years? Uh no. Of course, the system is corrupt. we keep re-electing the same bums to Congress that we all know can not or will not put country before party. A definition of insanity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting something different will happen. Think about it.

telcoman
Car: Tesla 2022 Model Y, 2016 Q70 Bye 2012 G37S 6 MT w Nav 94444 mi bye 2006 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6 MT @171796 mi.

Thus far I am seeing no "draining of the swamp"
Trump is just adding a few more alligators to it

Telcoman

Bubba1
2008 Acura TSX
2008 Toyota Corolla S
2001 Toyota Avalon XLS

It's far too early to tell if the swamp will drain, Howie. But in order to find the drain plug, I imagine it'd probably require a few reptiles familiar with the swamp. I'm not particularly impressed with the very few choices he's made thus far, like Bannon, but I'm glad to hear that Chris Christie got shown the door. Like a large guy sitting in a half filled bathtub, Christie'd probably overflow the swamp. Besides being "the buck stops over there" guy with Bridgegate, he personally appointed the 3 Port Authority hacks that got convicted, plus he was also the then US Attorney that threw Ivanka's husband's father in jail. ("Gee I'm sure they wouldn't remember that") :chuckle:

Return to “Politics Etc.”