An honest question for the Q50 racers/tuners....

In 2014, the G37 Sedan became Infiniti Q50. G37 Coupe and Convertible became Infiniti Q60 under Infiniti's new naming structure - Here's the place to discuss the Q50 and Q60!
rmyAddison
Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport

I'm an old retired guy, never was a racer/tuner, but owned Beemers and Jags over the years, and currently a Q50 RS400, I like sporty but don't race.

My question, why pick the Infiniti Q50 if you are a racer/tuner? To me it's more luxury than sport or hard core racer, I'm curious why you would pick it? They aren't light weights, no limited slip dif, it just doesn't strike me as the car I would pick if I were a racer/tuner.

So, an honest naive question, why the Q50, appreciate any serious replies, thanks................

BlueSleeper
Car: 2017 Iridium Blue Q50 RS400

It does not matter what car you put in the hands of a HP junkie, they will always want just a bit more. To paraphrase, Rockefeller responded, "Just a little bit more," to a journalist's question of "How much is enough?" There is always the temptation to modify. Usually the itch gets satisfied with "a little bit more." Sometimes it doesn't. It only needs to make sense to the one paying the freight

Part of the benefit of the forums is that we get to be infected by other's passion and craziness. We get to learn from other's successes and mistakes. It also give us an opportunity to be talked back from the ledge when we are about to do something less than brilliant.

BlueSleeper

Rmy, I did not directly answer your question. At the heart of your post seems to be the question, "Why would you ever consider doing that to a Q? Or if you want that kind of car, why would you buy a Q?" My simple answer, "Because I can."

Fourteen years ago I bought a G coupe and loved it. Seven years ago I bought a G sedan and loved it. Now I love my new Q sedan. Is it at the top of the list for all the cool kids and boy racers? No! I looked quite hard at the offerings of Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, Jaguar, Infiniti. I also looked at three different performance options of Chevrolet: Corvette, Camaro and the SS. I chose the Q because I loved my G's, it has some luxury and some scoot, it's more than 20k less than many of the other contenders and does not drink fuel at the rate of a NASCAR cup car. I also like the fact that it is difficult to distinguish from a regular Q. I want a bit more power. I want a bit more growl. Other than that it is perfect for me. That is why the Q50.

If I chose to drop in an LS7, paint it pink, remove the fenders and put F1 wheels and tires on it, I would probably tell you about it on this forum. You would likely tell me I was crazy. But our exchange might inspire you to do something that results in you enjoying your car to a greater degree. Your comments might help me to think more clearly about my plans. Either way our exchange might enlighten both of us.

rmyAddison
Car: 2016 Q50 Red Sport

Thanks for the reply.

"Perfect for me" is good enough, satisfying the person in the mirror is all we need to do.

I've had my '16 RWD Q50 RS400 since last August, still in love. I hate the stock Dunlop run flats, they will turn into Michelin Super Sports after I get some value out of them, had the chrome grill surround painted body color (Obsidian black), and added the Infiniti branded Motorsport exhaust, just enough throat not to be obnoxious.

I've had Beemers and a Jag in the past, they come "pre-loaded" with expensive maintenance and repairs. This is my third Infiniti since 2012 and zero problems, as you said "perfect for me"..... ;)

BlueSleeper

Yes, I am working through the 1200 mi break-in. I am looking forward to stretching it's legs. I am anticipating the grins/mile ratio to go up significantly.

Return to “Infiniti Q50 / Q60 Forum”