Amps and other equipment you use/used

Musicians and music-related topics are all right here in the Music Room.
Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Let us know what you currently use or what you've used in the past. Help the new guys/gals out so they can find something good, or stay away from something crappy.

Behringer EP2500This amp can be bought new for 300.00 shipped from DJdeals.com. It's a solid performer, produces very little hiss (basically innaudible), and put's out quite a bit of power with low amounts of distortion!

For home use, you can even swap out the cooling fan to a quiet computer fan like I did. For the money, it's an excellent buy!

Over the road, it's longevity may be in question. I for one would rather spend more on a Crown or QSC if I was doing a lot of shows or DJ'ing. For around the house (home theater use) or for a garage band, this will work great.

Crown CE4000

This amp really was a wolf in sheeps clothing. The CE line was pretty crappy with the CE1000 and CE2000, however, the CE4000 used a completely different circuit topology, which Crown later patented as Class-I used in their latest I-tech line of amps. It also have PFC (Power Factor Correction) so it put's out the same amount of power regardless if the input voltage is 100v or 130v. It also encorporates a SMPS (Switch Mode Power Supply), which means it's lighter and more efficient due to not needing a huge torroidial transformer.

It has all the same features as the new Macro-tech i-series amps, except the power output is around 60% of the smallest Macro-tech i, the MA-5000i...and it can be had for more than $3500.00 less! I actually picked mine up for around $600

However, I wouldn't use it for mains or HF use. There's too much hiss (S/N ratio). Stick with the Behringer EP2500 (awesome S/N ratio). For subwoofer or LF use, it rocks!

Click for a larger picture.

Behringer DEQ-2496

Well, it's a 31 band eq, 10 band PEQ, DEQ, RTA, FD, ect... It does everything you could imagine, including adjust stereo imaging via DSP. It's expensive and may do more than what you need, but if you need it, it's a good price for all that it delivers.

anti_flag_army
Car: 91 Miata, 90 240sx coupe

what equipment? any?I have owned quite a few amps (guitar) but my 2 favorite have to be my current, a Crate Palomino v16 tube amp, and my "why did i ever sell that" Roland Jazz chorus (most people that play guitar should know what this amp is)

Im not a fan of rack mounted set-ups though, way too complicated for my tastes

edit: after seeing another thread about guitar gear i feel that i have posted in the wrong thread...

Looneybomber
Car: 02 explorer sprt (grn)
10 G37S (white)

Guitar amps can fit too. It's still gear.

I'll soon post up some speakers which you could use to make your own guitar amp on the cheap...well, not really cheap, but of very high value.

Return to “The Music Room”