AMD Vs Intel

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Don't let the title mislead you. While I am comparing the two, its in a different way. I prefer the Intel processors, but I'm currently seeking a graduation gift for someone and we are looking at getting her a cheapish laptop. It will need to mainly be used for school and casual uses, but the graduate will likely do some light gaming (I think she is into the Sims at the moment). Nothing too heavy. Laptops with dedicated graphics cards are really only available in higher end models so I'm likely going to be looking for something with integrated graphics.

That said, I wanted to get an opinion about what the better compromise would be in such a case. Some initial searching yielded that the AMD/ATI integrated chips are better than the typical Intel 4500 graphics, but it seems I would be taking a slight hit in processor performance if I went that route. Of course, in the price range we are considering, it apears we are also leaning towards a dual-core at best (vs Core 2 Duo). Just looking for some opinions on this. My netbook is the only computer I have that has integrated graphics and I haven't tried any games on it. Not to mention, even if I did, the processor may be a limiting factor as well.

TIA!

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Huh...that's kind of a tough one. I've also heard a lot to indicate that the AMD/ATI chipset should be superior to the Intel integrated graphics (which aren't particularly hot from what I've heard).But if you're talking AM2 A64x2 vs Core2, the Core2 is definitely the better portable solution. It'll have superior battery life and is the better chip anyway by a small stretch.

BUT I see it this way: with laptops I'd rather be limited by my processor than my graphics card. Every time I've ever been limited in gaming with a laptop it's been due to craptastic onboard graphics with way too little memory. Back in the day, my PIII laptop constantly annoyed in not being able to play games the 500mhz were more than enough for simply because it had horrible graphics tech. I'd rather have had a slower proc and a decent graphics card.

If battery life is a huge priority, you may still want to go with the Intel.

It also depends on how much memory each integrated graphics chipset has. If the Intel has more, it may be worth getting the poorer performing chipset so you can support a wider range of games. Taking an FPS hit but being able to play more games is a fair tradeoff in my eyes.

What's the ATI chip? X1300?

C-Kwik

That's pretty much the dilema I figured I'd be facing. Since we are anticipating this laptop will probably be the only one she'll have through college, I want it to be versatile enough to actually handle whatever she needs it for and potentially have decent battery life. We don't know how she will end up using it yet so it does make the choice harder. Especially when laptops that tend to fit this bill are generally much more expensive than what we have in mind.

As for what ATI chip, I have no idea. I spent the better part of 3 hours researching this last night and by the time I finished, I was tired, cross-eyed and felt more confused about what would work then I did before I started. The ATI chips seemed to be less straightforward and consistent. Intel was nothing but one chip since most laptops that offered upgrades used nVidia chips so you knew it was discrete regardless.

After a night's rest though, maybe I'll just consider the primary use first (school). She only spends a small amount of time gaming anyways and unless she moves out of her parent's house when she transfers to a university, she'll have access to the family desktop. With laptop notetaking becoming more and more widespread and after trying it myself, it would seem to me that battery life would be an important issue. I tended to shy away from a netbook as this would be her own computer, but she is currently pretty content with using an old thinkpad that no longer holds a charge. I think I'll stop thinking out this post again. I'm starting to feel overwhelemed with thoughts again.

ajayasinghe
Car: s14 zenki

In my experience with the laptops I found that that Intel works much better for school usage. AMD has worked better for me on desktop PCs - have had one for about 3 years now and not a single problem, still runs fairly quick regardless of all the crap I've dumped on it. Intel gives better battery life for laptops I noticed.

So I'd say go Intel for the laptop especially if she's doing light gaming - which the onboard video should be fine.

This is my 2 cents so you are welcome to challenge it.

C-Kwik

All said and done, I decided to get her a netbook. Picked out an Asus EEEPC 1000HE. She loved it. Decided since she doesn't game much and I'd prefer she have great battery life in case she gets stuck at school for long periods of time without access to an outlet. She will likely be living at home at least until she is ready to transfer so she can still use the desktop if she wants to play games. Plus, it was cheaper for me. =P

Return to “Computers / Electronics”