Ambient Temperature Sensor Display, '09 G37S

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
EdSac

"Steve the Tech" posted some information on an inaccuracy problem with the outside temperature display.

The display on my dash has recently been displaying, let's say 105F, when it's around 98F. "Steve" said it could be diagnosed and fixed through the "Confirmation and Adjustments Submenu" in Mode 5 of the Climate Control.

"Steve" or others, any additional information I could use to teach either of my local Infiniti dealers how to fix it! One dealer essentially said they all do that, and the other didn't seem to know what I was talking about.

Is it fixable? Or should I give up this nit-picking?!

The car's great otherwise. I've been on two longer drives in the California mountains and its been great. Handling and power and really nice, and don't get me started about all the creature comforts. Except the thermometer!

Cobra_Kai_84
Car: 2009 G37S convertible - Athens Blue/Graphite, Premium, Sport, Nav, rear deck spoiler

I live in AZ. My temp gauge always reads a much higher temp than it actually is, especially when its really hot out (4 months of out the year). Mine is typically 6-10 degrees off, regardless if the car is parked in a garage away from the sun. I mentioned it to my service guy when I brought the car in for an oil change. They said Infiniti allows for a "10%" standard deviation, so there is no reason (in their mind) to replace the gauge since it falls under that 10%. They said it's not faulty and nothing is wrong with my outside temp gauge. They ran my car next to another convertible at the dealership, and both were reading very close, albeit higher numbers than actual temperature.

It''s really a nitpicking thing. Personally, it bothers me. My service guy said that if I want to replace the temp gauge they will do it, but should probably expect similar readings. I may have them replace it next time I bring my car in. Why not? Anyone else getting high outside temp readings??

EdSac

"Cobra":

I poked around some more here on this temp thing, and I noticed you've been having fun with this issue for quite a while.

Even previous Infiniti models have had the same problem. You'd think it would have been resolved by now.

Tell me, is the sensor just behind the small right grill opening? It was in my Porsche Boxster, and I assumed the sensor I saw in the same place on the Infiniti was the same thing.

The service writer said it was in the roof! How can it be in the roof in a convertible?!

Other kinds of cars have them in the roof, but a convertible?

I have half a notion to put a hair drier in front there and see if the gauge goes up.

EdSac

All:
Well, as usual in these forums, I've found additional information. "Cobra," apparently you haven't been able to fix your faulty temperature gauge. Maybe you and I can caravan back to Virginia and have "Steve" fix our cars.

When in doubt, check the owners' manual. It states the sensor is, in fact, where I thought it was. And there are three sensors in the circuit that can fail.

Armed with this new information, I will persist with the service department where I got this car.

Why do we have to diagnose our own problems? Maybe a call to "Click and Clack" would help.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”