Am I wasting my time buying a 350z (w/ my budget?)

Nissan 350z / Nissan 370z general community discussion forum
StephenWade

I'm looking to buy a used 2003-2006 in the near future. (Insurance will go up after 2006 so that's why I'm saying those models.)

My budget is around $8,000, maybe can do a little more... Is it likely that I'll find a good used Z within my budget? or am I better off looking at something else, and if so, suggestions?

Thanks in advance, & I'd wanted a Z ever since F&F Tokyo Drift (DK's Car) :chuckle:

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

Welcome to NICO! :badger

Insurance may go up after '06 but does quality, and consequently, reliability. If you can, I'd steer clear of the '06 line if you're going to go with a manual transmission. All '06 manuals, as well as the track and 35th Anniversary Edition from 2005 have the RevUp version of the VQ35DE engine, and they're prone to excessive oil consumption.

Early years, notably 2003-04, suffer from some gear grinds in the 2nd-3rd-4th ranges (this was addressed in an updated transmission, the CD0009, that entered the lineup in 2005) and their power window motors have a pretty high failure rate. Sounds like you may want to look at an '05 that's not a track or 35th Anniversary Edition. You'll be missing out on the Brembos that come on those models but you'll be avoiding a potentially oil thirsty engine that will need a lot of TLC.

Keep in mind that you're looking at buying a car that's 10+ years old, so it's best to get a good pre-purchase inspection done before you decide to lay out you hard-earned cash.

You are doing the right thing asking before and not after purchase, not enough people do that and end up regretting it. I will say that if you can hold off for a bit and save some more you'll probably be happier layer on with an '07+ model. Bit I also understand (all too well) about not wanting to wait.

Good luck on the search, keep us posted with what's going on, feel free to ask questions and once again...

StephenWade

BusyBadger wrote:Welcome to NICO! :badger

Insurance may go up after '06 but does quality, and consequently, reliability. If you can, I'd steer clear of the '06 line if you're going to go with a manual transmission. All '06 manuals, as well as the track and 35th Anniversary Edition from 2005 have the RevUp version of the VQ35DE engine, and they're prone to excessive oil consumption.

Early years, notably 2003-04, suffer from some gear grinds in the 2nd-3rd-4th ranges (this was addressed in an updated transmission, the CD0009, that entered the lineup in 2005) and their power window motors have a pretty high failure rate. Sounds like you may want to look at an '05 that's not a track or 35th Anniversary Edition. You'll be missing out on the Brembos that come on those models but you'll be avoiding a potentially oil thirsty engine that will need a lot of TLC.

Keep in mind that you're looking at buying a car that's 10+ years old, so it's best to get a good pre-purchase inspection done before you decide to lay out you hard-earned cash.

You are doing the right thing asking before and not after purchase, not enough people do that and end up regretting it. I will say that if you can hold off for a bit and save some more you'll probably be happier layer on with an '07+ model. Bit I also understand (all too well) about not wanting to wait.

Good luck on the search, keep us posted with what's going on, feel free to ask questions and once again...

I appreciate your response. I was unaware of nearly everything you mentioned, definitely something to consider.

StephenWade

StephenWade wrote:
BusyBadger wrote:Welcome to NICO! :badger

I appreciate your response. I was unaware of nearly everything you mentioned, definitely something to consider.

Weren't the transmissions recalled? so it would be very hard for me to find one with the grinding gear issues?

BusyBadger
Car: '92 240SX, '05 350Z, '13 Juke

No, it was a wear and tear issue, that's why the grinds at o the areas of the most common gear changes. Nissan just upgraded the transmission by increasing thenumber of gear synchros in the case.

I posted about it before, if you do a search with my name in the author box, search the 350Z discussion area and put the keyword synchros in it it should pop up.

StephenWade

If I'm not able to afford a nice 2007... Do you have any car suggestions? (Around 8-9k)

evildky
Car: 71 240ZT, 87 300ZXN/A-T, 06 350Z GT, Tundra TRD RW

Try finding a lower miles, cared for 03 04 car. Early cars should be in your budget, and buying one wiht lower miles and that's been taken care of will save you big money later.

Return to “350z / 370z Discussion”