Am I running too rich? NA KA24E 10.6CR

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
wa-chiss
Car: 1990 Nissan S13 H/C KA24E
2005 Toyota Sequoia
1976 Honda CB750F Super Sport

1990 KA24E, 10.6CR Arias Pistons, Eagle rods, O&J Performance stage 2 cam, Manley outer Valve springs, Solid lifter conversion, EGR delete, Tri-Y Headers and full 2.5" header back exhaust, and Stock Intake and box, stock MAFS, and K&N filter. Deleted coolant lines at throttle body and all unnecessary vacuum lines for EGR delete. Deleted secondary butterflies in manifold. Stock injectors and NO TUNE as of yet.

So, I "installed" an AEM Wideband to gauge how my engine is operating. While driving under light acceleration to full throttle my AFR's are reading mid to high 11's Sometimes I'll see 10.8. Under decel, it'll go full lean (Gauge numbers go blank like it's outside it's limits) until I give it throttle again. It doesn't have to be much throttle to get it off full lean. Just enough to maintain a speed. While I'm just maintaining a certain speed the AFR's are always near or at Stoich.

I had a vacuum leak when I first reacquired the car but immediately remedied any and all vacuum leaks. I know that'll cause a lean condition if it had a leak. Is there any reason I should worry? My wideband has an O2 feature I think that I can hook up in place of the factory O2 (Not 100%sure though).

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Those are decent mods, in depth. All parts and no tune, whats up with that? I think you need a tune for the CR and cam changes. As far as are you rich or lean at certain times, I'm sorry, I do not know.

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

topic543470.html I had a "Falling out" with this vehicle over some theft. I lost interest and never progressed further with it until 2 months ago when I heard the guy I sold it to (My coworker) was about to sell it. I bought it back and plan to get it tuned. I had planned to tune it before I sold it.

centralcoaster33

Well, I'm glad it's back in good hands. I say get that tune going. I saw the other thread and the talk you were having about what programs and computers to use. As far as your question, maybe someone else knows if this is a rich/ lean situation.

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

Thanks. I'm not terribly too concerned as I know I'm at least on the good side of "off". Better rich than lean. There's a lot of little things I need to address before I Get to tuning. Like slight corrosion in my injector connectors from sitting. I'll need to go over all my connections, I'll get a 255lph pump, adjustable FPR, readjust timing for my local crap "high" 91 octane fuel (planning on mixing my own Toluene or Xylene gas for higher octane during summer driving), and a spacer for my timing chain tensioner piston (rattle on start-up)

centralcoaster33

We used to have a station with 93 out here. I think I was the only customer on that pump because it's gone now. 91 max in my woods.

Anyway, I like your ideas! Have you rebuilt the harness for this car or is that in the works or you just feel like cleaning up terminals? Are you in the rust belt?

wa-chiss
2005 Toyota Sequoia

No rust. Car was first bought in Washington state. No salted roads there. Moved it to Texas in 2008 where it currently is. I can only find 91 here in my town also. There's a race track about an hour away I could get higher octane, but I'd be wasting money and time for that. I could spend that money on mixing my own gas.

I found a rebuild kit from wiring specialties that I might use. It's only $100 and it has EVERY connector and then some. Too bad I don't have a DE. They offer a complete new harness for it.

centralcoaster33

Cool. I got one of those kits as well for my S14. It didn't have everything like I thought it would. I worked with W.S. on getting the remaining bits and have mostly everything for a harness now except for one diode, the actual wires and some sort of wrap/ shielding. W.S. support is freaking awesome! I still haven't implemented it yet. I want to buy some wires and make the whole thing. It's on the long term to-do list. Engine rebuild is coming soon, so I do want to move it to the front burner, but I have other issues to work on as well (steering, intake, exhaust, some interior details). It's work, but it's all fun work!

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”