Am I doing it right? : 400WHP Daily 300zx Twin Turbo

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
CarKrush
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Hi, so I’ve had my 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo for a bout a year now and have daily-ed it. The car has about 86k miles on it and I noticed that one of the turbos is starting to go (Smoke out of the left bank exhaust, and you can hear it). I’m about to put some down pipes on it along with two new turbos (OEM Turbos), and I figured that I might as well build the car a bit now while I’m spending the money. I have been reading into this for a long time now and I think I understand the restrictions of the VG platform. With that said, I had some ideas of what I wanted to do and wanted to know if anyone with experience could tell me either what’s missing or what I’m doing wrong.

Car currently has:
- Single Intake with pop filter
- High Flow Cat Back Exhaust (2.5inch)
- 17’s with New Rubber on em
- stock everything else
(Also the car is a 5 Speed)
Overall, car probably makes around 250ish wheel horsepower, maybe more, maybe less

My plans were:
Deletes
- Carbon Canister
- AIV’s
- Pre-Cats

New Stuff
- New Turbos (OEM)
- Boost gauge
- Either boost Jets, Manual Boost Controller or an Electric one
- EPROM ECU chip tune
- Bigger Injectors (740’s) and a new style fuel rail
- Dual Air Intake (Dual MAF setup)
- In terms of boost, I was thinking about 12-14psi. Would really like the car to be somewhat reliable so I don’t want to go too far with the stock turbos

Does all this sound reasonable to make somewhere around 400WHP? Any ideas on what I should/shouldn’t do? Should I go through and change the gaskets and such if I’m going with more boost (even if it’s only 14psi)? Anything else I should change/delte to insure that the car will last after this?

Thanks so much,
CarKrush

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

I have a similar build daily with stock turbos, mine dynoed at 388 whp and 405 tq. (94 oct fuel at 16.9 psi boost). Same mods as you have listed with the addition of Z1 intercoolers and selin dual MAF trans.

For this HP level I don't think you will need upgraded fuel rails, OEM rails with JWT adapters and nismo 740 will work fine.

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”