Aluminum Flywheel Opinions

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
NateDogg

Hey Guys+Gals,

I was reading about flywheels and that some have had issues with 1st gear driveability. I was just curious if this is very pronounced on the KA? Would you recomment it for a daily driver? Also wondering about what kind of 0-60/ .25mi help this mod might produce??

Thanks,Nate

P.S. I'm looking at the Fidanza unit, if anyone has any other opinions of brands please post them as well!!

Xero

Hey Nate :)

As far as I know, the only problem you'd have with 1st gear, is the fact that revs go up and drop off faster, whether that would affect 1st or not, I don't know.

For the Daily driver part, I don't see why not, it just decreases rotating mass, and free's up HP.

As far as 0-60/ .25 mile, don't know, I think the gains would be marginal. Really all it will help is a little bit of HP, and alot of throttle response. I'm gonna run one because I plan on Auto-Xing my car, so throttle response is critical.

I haen't heard much about Fidanze, so I can't help you there.

I hope your replacing your clutch at the same time, it will make everything so much easier. Don @ PDM highly suggests the Centerforce system he sells, and since DOn has experience, I'm gonna go with that. He should also be able to with flywheel choices.

--Justin --Xero

hmbs-s14
Car: Computer and cars......

Nate,

I had a Fidanza flywheel and a SPEC stage 3 clutch put in about 8 months ago. The first time I drove my car after they were installed I stalled it...... doh. But I do not have any problems with first gear reving to fast, actually I did not knotice a big difference in how fast the motor revs. Also the gears do not fall off to fast, I used cluch braking alot with the stock flywheel and the rpms would drop fairly quickly. After the Fidanza was installed my car does not want to drop RPMs as quickly as when I had the stock flywheel. the car also starts alot easier than with the stock flywheel. Over all I am happy with the Fidanza flywheel and SPEC stage 3 clutch, even though I did not notice a huge difference between the stock flywheel and the Fidanza .-Hiram

NateDogg

Don doesnt recommend going with an aluminum flywheel on the KA. I already have a CF DF clutch...I'm just looking for a way to make my car a little quicker without making it louder. Somebody is selling a slightly used Fidanza from a wrecked car for $250. I just wanted to know if it would be worth the $250 on a NA KA or maybe I'll spend the money elsewhere.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

yeah i have a fidanza too and i can say there is a big difference with the flywheel and I think its worth it. 1/4 time reduction by itsself is like 1/3 to 1/2 a sec diff. from stock but if you do electric fans on your s13 youll get out o' there quicker too. The only bad thing is you'll have issues climbing hills.

R240NA

NateDogg wrote:Don doesnt recommend going with an aluminum flywheel on the KA. I already have a CF DF clutch...I'm just looking for a way to make my car a little quicker without making it louder. Somebody is selling a slightly used Fidanza from a wrecked car for $250. I just wanted to know if it would be worth the $250 on a NA KA or maybe I'll spend the money elsewhere.

And Don is who? The Fidanza unit isn't 100% on the dowel pin placement, most of the owners I know have had to slightly drill out the pressure plate holes to align it correctly. I have the Stillen/Mueller piece, it's very nice and makes the KA very rev-friendly, and it's run consistently and problem free for over 70k miles. I'd say to anyone to go with it.

R240NA

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:Don

Oh, THAT Don. Pffft. No comment.

NateDogg

Lost_To_A_K-CarI don't think he was being disrespectful...You took it the wrong way.

Anyway thanks for your thoughts guys! Hey R240NA, what is the weight on your JWT flywheel?

NateDogg

Well maybe you'd like to PM R240NA personally instead of raping my thread. After all, aren't you a MODERATOR!?

Just curious...

bruinbear714

2BN_S13 wrote:yeah i have a fidanza too and i can say there is a big difference with the flywheel and I think its worth it. 1/4 time reduction by itsself is like 1/3 to 1/2 a sec diff. from stock but if you do electric fans on your s13 youll get out o' there quicker too. The only bad thing is you'll have issues climbing hills.

why would there be issues on climbing hills? Not enough rotational inertia to keep the car climbing?

If you guys get a flywheel, I'd go with the JUN 1-piece chromoly flywheel. Much more stronger than the Fidanza aluminum.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

I got a JUN chromoly steel peice, its only .5lbs heavier than most aluminum flywheels and a hell of a lot stronger, also it intsalled without a snag, you can get them at:

http://www.optauto.com

worth every penny. since I plan on running mnay road races, a few people ahve told me that aluminum flywheels will warp due to the etreem heat of road racing, obviously this is bad, so I went with the JUN epice, and allan at ballanced performance was very excited I had found one, because a few guys working there wanted one for racing purposes...

-chet

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

Im gonna go with the Stillen one. Best one that ive read on so far, plus fidanza has some stories about warping and improper fit.

R240NA

Lost_To_A_K-Car wrote:My intent is not to "rape" your thread.

You said Don - someone whose opinion is generally well-regarded around here - doesn't recommend X.

RNA said, pish posh, don doesn't know jack. At least, that's what I read "pffft, no comment" to mean.

I just want to hear where RNA is coming from, that's all. If he has reason to believe that Don is wrong, it should be noted in a little more detail than 'pfft'.

K, I don't want to start any chit here. I know of Don Nimi very well, who doesn't? I was on the old amarok list with him years ago, 95 maybe?, and have seen countless points he has made over the years. However, I try not to believe, like some, that a normal person is a god, and that people cannot be wrong. That being said, I have dealt with him on the phone on one occasion, where I was installing a set of his brakelines, and was told bluntly "you don't know what you're doing, you need to take it to a qualified shop" when I asked about what seemed to be a damaged thread on one of the lines and if it was normal. The lines themselves are very poorly constructed, with no fitment to attach it to the strut. I don't appreciate a jab at my abilities when someone doesn't have the time to say "hey, I'm not sure what may have happened, maybe it was a bad flare or maybe the caliper had trash in it", I've been doing brakes and everything else for long enough to know better. I have also seen one or two posts that were not 100%, though they've been long ago and I don't recall them. All I am saying is I don't buy into the "almighty Don" claims that everyone else is a part of. I make mistakes too, no one ever claimed I was great or not, nor have I asked for it. Again, this is in no way a stab at anyone, nor is it a putdown or an uplift for anyone. Another reason to point out that you don't know who people are on a forum, my 220 or so posts don't reflect how long I've been a part of the 240 scene, and I'm sure Don doesn't even frequent this forum, so would that make him clueless? No. KCar, I can appreciate your view of him, I don't have the exact same view, but nonetheless he is a good assest to the community, we all can agree on that. Please remember people CAN have a difference of opinions, my statement before was a little vague and I apologize. Sorry to rape the post.

Lepchitz1
Car: Cars, and LESBIANS!!!

So how bout them flywheels?

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Hey, Exar-Kun, is the JUN USA flywheel for the SOHC or DOHC KA engine or is it for the SR20DET? It seems Options stopped listing it on their website and JUN USA's website doesnt list anything for the KA. I was really wanting the JUN flywheel, but i cant seem to find it anymore, so i might just go with a Fidanza.

Exar-Kun
Car: 2005 350Z

goto the website I posted, they have it listed there, thats the only place i found that had the KA24DE chromoly JUN flywheel, it took about 2 weeks to get(shipped from japan apparently), but Jun does indeed make them. if you search on options auto salon, it will come up with 2 listings, a "240sx jun chromoly flywheel" and a "S13 w/SR20DET" flywheel, aboviously pick the 240sx one for the Ka24DE.(EDIT, oops I guess you looked, yeah they dont list them anymore....but maybe the below information will help)

hope that helps-chethttp://www.optauto.com

heres a copy of my invoice e-mail with part nubmers, it might help:

JUN-2001M- JUN FLYWHEEL: 240SX (KA24E/DE) 1.00 1.00 0.00 N024

ACT-NX4-HD CLUTCH KIT: 240SX 91-95 1.00 1.00 0.00 R6

note the JUN part number is "JUN-2001M-N024"

for references.

Dattebayo
Car: 2004 Frontier Desert Runner

bruinbear, i had gas milage issues with hills and noticed a slight power loss in some of the steeper hills (like 4-7% grade highways) than before while driving out in western maryland. that is probably just the low end torque though...

doctorj240
Car: Black s14 w/ redtop

Gas mileage on my car w/ a fidanza in hilly areas sucks. I noticed quite a bit of loss from the reduced rotating inertia when driving up even mild hills.

NateDogg

I found an interesting article with an excel file that calculates flywheel hp reduction/gains.

Based on a stock 23lb flywheel going to a 11lb fly it says 9 hp in 1st gear and 5 hp in 2nd, the rest of the gears are negligeable. <2hp...

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”