Altima Starting Problem

A General Discussion forum for Altima owners, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to the NICOclub Altima Forums!
ugadawg
Car: 1997 Nissan 240SX SE/LE

Tried searching this one, but no luck. I've got a 93 Altima that just quit running and the CEL came on. The code I got was the camshaft position sensor. Before I read the code, I changed the fuel filter, dist cap and rotor. I called Nissan on the code, and they said there is not camshaft position sensor and that the distributor must be bought. I know the car is getting fuel, so my only guess is that it is not getting any spark. A distributor is like 400 bucks, and I wanted to see if there might be a cheaper way out of this. Any help guys?

david gussie
Car: Altima

This might not help but I noticed you didn't say if you checked the spark. Pull a wire, plug in an old spark plug and ground it. You should see a spark. Years ago, I had a problem and it was the gear at the bottom of the distributor shaft that was made out of plastic, it was shot. Also, you might want to recheck timing with the install of the cap, it might of offset the timing. If you have spark, try some starting fluid, in cold weather engines are a bear to start. be careful. I don't know if your car has any inline resistors or computer chips that will make you pull your hair out, but check grounds to the battery, starter, coil and distributor. That will make it not start too!

Thats all i know. I can fix things but I'm lousy at the diagnostic work.

cesar240sx
Car: 93/240sx turbo/nitros

listen to me i work on those cars all day long you need dist replace if u don't want install nissan one go to napa their remaf. one for about 150its fair price...don't panic

rdbaron9
Car: 1999 Nissan Maxima SE-L

My friend is having a very similar problem with his 95 altima. At first we could not get the car started at all. It would turn the starter strong but the engine wouldn't turn over. We check the fuel pump by unplugging the hose coming from the filter and we got a good shot of fuel coming out when trying to start. Found out we weren't getting any spark by pulling one of the plugs. We replaced the ignition coil, distributor cap, rotor, and distributor before actually getting the car running. Although now it quits randomly here and there and will start back up after a minute or two. He has replaced the spark plug wires and will be replacing the fuel filter soon. I don't think it is the filter because the car still has a lot of power when merging on highways. Anyone have any ideas??

raymundojr
Car: nissan cefiro 2006

it is definitely not on the part of the spark plug check out your nissan AC condenser as those which are already worn out affects the transmission causing the car to have starting problems.

jserrano
Car: 1994 Nissan Altima SE

cesar240sx wrote:listen to me i work on those cars all day long you need dist replace if u don't want install nissan one go to napa their remaf. one for about 150its fair price...don't panic
Listen to this man a watch your problem wash away.

STLu13

I had this same problem on my 93 5 speed. The engine would run then die or not even start. The problem was the camshaft position sensor. It is located right behind the distributer cap. My sugestion would be to check the sensor with an OHM meter. I cant remeber which wires are which but i think it goes like this.Orange power- 12 voltsblue- 180 degree -5voltsyellow 1 degree -5volts

Or if you dont have an Voltometer you can pull off the the WHOLE CAS and spin it freely with the ignition on and see if you can here the injectors and a relay click. On my car the CAS would work fine then it would randomly stop making troubleshooting it very hard.

P.S I picked one up at a junkyard for 12 bucks.

-Mark

Return to “Altima General Discussions”