Altima Sedan 2.5 vs 3.5.... HELP!

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
italy430
Car: 2000 Toyota Corolla

I'm in the market for a new sedan, well to be specific the Altima Sedan. I need help tho with some advice. These prices are in CAD. I can get a 2008 2.5SL with Satin White and Blond leather interior (exactly what I want, the Satin White looks so good in person) for $31600, or I can get a 2007 3.5SE with leather, exactly the same packages for $31300 with Precision Grey and black leather. Now it might seem obvious to go for the 3.5 but some things I'm considering. Insurance is higher with the 3.5, although it is an awesome engine and gets good gas mileage its not as good as the 2.5 plus I believe the 3.5 needs premium and 2.5 regular?? 3.5 has fog lights and integrated turn signals in the mirrors which I like.

What should I do? Can ppl with both the 2.5 and 3.5 post up!! Thanks in advance.

MagicM
Car: 2007 Black/alu trim /black interior M35x 2005 Range Rover HSE 2000 Range Rover p38 4.0SE

while this Question has been asked many times, i think the only person that can truly answer the question on what to get is yourself.

mikemart
Car: Silver Altima Coupe 2.5S CVT. Author of the greatest post ever.

I chose a 2.5 because in the long run fuel economy was more important to me. Obviously, I too had to sacrifice a few factors that were important to me like integrated turn signals and ++hp, but I tried to be as practical as possible in my decision process.

What are you looking for in a vehicle? Only you can really answer that question.

mcheddadi
Car: R8

italy430 wrote:I'm in the market for a new sedan, well to be specific the Altima Sedan. I need help tho with some advice. These prices are in CAD. I can get a 2008 2.5SL with Satin White and Blond leather interior (exactly what I want, the Satin White looks so good in person) for $31600, or I can get a 2007 3.5SE with leather, exactly the same packages for $31300 with Precision Grey and black leather. Now it might seem obvious to go for the 3.5 but some things I'm considering. Insurance is higher with the 3.5, although it is an awesome engine and gets good gas mileage its not as good as the 2.5 plus I believe the 3.5 needs premium and 2.5 regular?? 3.5 has fog lights and integrated turn signals in the mirrors which I like.

What should I do? Can ppl with both the 2.5 and 3.5 post up!! Thanks in advance.
If you don't mind spending an extra 300 to 500$ a year in fuel, then by all means get a 3.5, you'll thank yourself everyday

generic808
Car: 08 Infiniti G35S
10 Infiniti EX35

Trust me, if you end up with the 2.5, you'll always wonder "what if" or you'll think "I should have". You'll want more power, especially after reading this forum and seeing guys mod up their cars. You'll thirst for more power

desertdragon
Car: 2008 Altima coupe 3.5 SE with CVT Winter Frost

I suggest you to test drive both cars. After the test drive, if you think 2.5 is powerful enough for you, then get the 2.5. The good news is, you can't go wrong either way.

As others have mentioned, it is your personal decision.

SHIFT_2.5S
Car: 2008 Altima Coupe 2.5S

I picked the 2.5 because I don't care at all about power. I mostly do city driving (commuting) and didn't want to be paying extra money for power (which I don't need, especially in a FWD car), insurance (insurance is more on the 3.5SE) and for gas. I wanted good fuel economy, and the 2.5S has plenty of power. It's no wonder that all of the most practical and popular cars in Europe have very small engines (compared to US cars). That's just my opinion. If I wanted power, I would've gotten a slightly used G35 for the same price (especially since it is more powerful than the coupe and has RWD)...but that brings up old topics and old quarrels.

jackspat2
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima

SHIFT_2.5S wrote:I picked the 2.5 because I don't care at all about power. I mostly do city driving (commuting) and didn't want to be paying extra money for power (which I don't need, especially in a FWD car), insurance (insurance is more on the 3.5SE) and for gas. I wanted good fuel economy, and the 2.5S has plenty of power. It's no wonder that all of the most practical and popular cars in Europe have very small engines (compared to US cars). That's just my opinion. If I wanted power, I would've gotten a slightly used G35 for the same price (especially since it is more powerful than the coupe and has RWD)...but that brings up old topics and old quarrels.
This is exactly the reason why I bought the 2.5. Cheaper, Fuel Economy(plus I'm a bit of an environmentalist), and insurance should definately be factored into your equation. If you're a daily commuter(in traffic) and get a 3.5, you'd be going no where just as fast if you had a 2.5. And with a 2.5, you're less likely to get a speeding ticket. Other than that, everything is pretty much the same...the AC in my 2.5 is just as cold as the 3.5.

Major153
Car: 2008 Nissan Altima 3.5S

Go for there 3.5, the premium gas isn't completely necessary.

unless you're planning on saving gas... seeing that you're from richmond, you know how expensive gas can be. $1.229/L (regular) is a b*tch

rwuarch2007
Car: 2007 Altima 3.5 SE 6-Spd

SHIFT_2.5S wrote:That's just my opinion. If I wanted power, I would've gotten a slightly used G35 for the same price (especially since it is more powerful than the coupe and has RWD)...but that brings up old topics and old quarrels.
I agree with what you say, the RWD and more power is a better choice, however there's the issue of warranty. You buy a used G35 for the power and you have to pay extra for an extended warranty (I've been through that), or get no warranty at all. You buy a brand new Altima 3.5 for the same price, get a .2 second difference in quarter mile time (between G37 and Altima) and full warranty.

It's definitely a personal preference, but I would not be a happy person if I couldn't go 0-60 in under 6 seconds while merging onto the highway on my way to work every morning. It's a nice way to wake up. I do kick myself in the *** everytime I buy gas though.

I'm looking forward to the Tesla Roadster coming out. Quicker 0-60 and purely electric car.

CanadianWino
Car: 2007 Altima 3.5 SE

Hey italy, No one's mentioned the stiffer, sportier ride with the 3.5 se. I tested both the 2.5 and 3.5 before buying. No choice after taking a few turns in the 3.5. Power, tighter suspension=more fun per kilometre. Get the 3.5 and you won't regret it.My .02 CAD, CW

mjpaltima08
Car: 2008 Altima 3.5 4 door 6MT Precision Grey

I have a 08 3.5SE with black leather and precision grey...

I test drove the 2.5 for the weekend before i decided on the 3.5....it is nice but the 3.5 is much more fun to drive... get the 3.5..you wont regret it

eight3six
Car: 2007 Nissan Altima 3.5 SL

the way i see it is if you have to ask if you can afford to put gas in it, then dont even bother. gas around my area is 3.35 for regular and 3.49 for mid grade per gallon. me, i use mid grade. i usually fill my car when its sitting on E. it usually takes 16 gallons. if you do the math it would be $53.60 for regular and $55.84 for mid grade, a $2.24 difference. not bad at all, so i wouldnt let the whole different gas thing shy you away.

i at first bought a 06 2.5. i kinda wanted the 3.5 and leather and all that, but figured id save money. well 9 months later i found myself buying my 07 3.5SL with all the stuff i originally wanted anyways. if you even have the slightest urge to get the 3.5 and it has the stuff you like, go for it. because more than likely youll be regreting that you didnt in the long run.

Dexion

Get the 2.5 if you will be doing nothing but city driving all the time, if you have some open road and have a nack for fun get the 3.5SE you won't regret it, gas mileage on the highway is maybe 3-4mpg better on the 2.5S

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”