Altima Coupe Blackout Headlight How-to

Troubleshooting, DIY's, How-To's and articles about all Nissan vehicles. Non-vehicle specific "General" How-To and tech information is also here.
SHIFT_COUPE
Car: 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD

Just a little info if your going to do this its a time consuming process. If you dont have the guts to do this then i recommend you not.

Gather your tools. A Flat head screwdriver, a star screwdriver, a 10 inch socket and ratchet. A high gloss high temp black paint, primer, and i used black silcon (i used black gasket silcon), masking tape.

First off you will need to take off the bumper. 8 clips at the top, 6 screws at the bottom, and a few clips underneath as well. Follow this.http://www.nicoclub.com/articles.php?id=293385

once you have done this you should end up with the head lights now

Start Removing the bolts with the 10 in socket and ratchet and use the star screwdriver for the screws theres 3 but i only had the picture at 2 sorry guys but the 3rd is right around there can't miss it.

You then remove the headlight and wire off the holding clip and all the bulbsand remove the 2 star screws at the back of the headlight housing.

After your done with that your going to want to set the oven preheat at 350 which i did make sure you have a sort of pan and foil wrap underneath on the parts on which it leans on so those don't melt. when the oven is finished preheating put it in for about 6 minutes.

While your waiting make yourself a sandwich...lmao

Make sure you have your space provided to pry open the headlight which you must immediately after taking out make sure your wearing some sort of gloves to protect from the heat its hot.

Keep prying it open until it's fully opened at which you'll end up at this point

Now you'll remove the 2 star screws on the inside you'll see them and you'll separate the pieces to end up with this remove the big orange thing you don't want.

Begin sanding down the chrome pieces i used a 320 fine sand paper to sand it down a little bit and mask the areas in which you don't want painted and have your primer ready in the painting area although some people painted the chrome section off the yellow turn signal area i left it chrome to distinguish it from the rest.

Now you begin to primer and paint i used 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of paint about 15 minutes in between coats of primer and bout i left about 25 on the paint between the coats.

and final product of paint

Now removing the masking tape and put the pieces back together put the black piece connected with the headlight face then the small chrome piece screwed on behind it clean out the dried clean from the back of the housing so you can re insert the front with the back piece

Your going to want to bake the back piece of the housing in the oven again for 6 minutes .. again once done with this make sure you have your silicon in hand and ready to put it together begin putting it together now it should put it silcone the edges of housing insert the 2 pieces together and mold back the black edges together and apply a thin strip of silcone between.Sorry i don't have pictures of this process it was only me working and trying to take pictures and doing this part is a hassle, didn't want to risk re baking it.

let it dry for a few hoursreconnect the headlight, lights etc, bumperand the end result will be

Writeup by kanejuice

Return to “Nissan Articles”