Alternator Upgrade

General discussion forum about all things Datsun! NOTE: If your thread is specific to a certain model, please make sure you post it in the proper forum.
odpl_Razor

Anyone done an alternator upgrade with higher amp rating?

Does anyone know the measurement of the alternator adjustment braket/foot spacing?

Do 320's have similar alternator and bracket to a B120 1200 Pickup?

I know on B210 1200 can be easily upgraded to Ford EA Falcon 85 amp w/ internal regulator, also Bluebird Series II 80's model sedan, Nissan Gazelle/Silvia S12 with CA20 engine with little mod on the wiring.

Planning to upgrade alternator & H4 headlight conversion

IMH

My 320 is converted to a single pulley Ford alternator except it's the older type with an eternal regulator.  I have the standard 520 bracket but I had to grind a little off the alternator mount to fit it.  I did the conversion about 23 years ago and have only had to replace the alternator once since then.  Does your 320 presently have a generator?  Mine did.

odpl_Razor

not exactly sure as I havent touched the engine bay yet since I bought it.

its a stock E1, are E1s equipped with generators?

dont know much about E1s and 320s

still dont have a service or owners manual

IMH

Yes a stock 320 had a generator.  They were also positive ground.  The conversion wasn't difficult but I don't remember the details since I did it so long ago. 

matti

positive ground to negative ground conversion

[quote]
[font="Times New Roman"]This was posted care of  http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Members_Ca ... 9_1000.htm[/font][font="Times New Roman"] [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]In order to be able to fit various gauges (Tacho, Temp, etc.) I converted the car from positive to negative earth, which involved the following: [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]1.  Disconnect battery & turn it around (making sure that the terminals don't foul any brackets or bodywork). [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]2.  Disconnect the battery terminals from the wires and swap them over (as they are different sizes for + and -). [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]3.  Connect the earth (negative!). [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]4.  Swap the two coil terminals over. [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]5.  Disconnect the two wires to the dynamo. [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]6.  Connect a piece of wire from the small terminal of the dynamo to the positive of the battery and hold it on for 5-10 seconds (I did 8). [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]7.  Re-connect both dynamo terminals. [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]8.  Re-connect the battery positive. (after disconnecting the negative first so that you don't short out the battery to the bodywork with a spanner). [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]9.  Start Engine! [/font]

[font="Times New Roman"]If the ignition light goes out everything went OK, if not, repeat step 5 onwards.[/font]

[/quote] 

mklotz70

I've read the "repolarization" of the generator on several other sites.  More info on pos/neg grd swaps can be found on old tractor sites.

I wanted to add that if you have a radio in the 320......DISCONNECT IT and the ANTENNA!!!    Even if you swap the power wires, the chassis is still grounded through the antenna and it will fry the radio.  

The wipers and fans will still work fine after the polarity is swapped.  If they used permanent magnets, they would spin backwards, but they use electromagnets.  Since the polarity is changed on both the stator and the rotor, both magnetic fields reverse ....end result, it still turns the same direction.  Anyway....

NL320what
Car: 63 NL320 4x4, 04 Yukon, 13 Chrysler 200t

One-Wire alternators can bolt right in and bypass all the old wiring.  You can yank all of it out, or just leave it disconnected.  Then just run a single 10ga power wire to pos on battery.  You have many choices on output, 60,80, 90, 100+ and up.

[user=124]Razor[/user] wrote:
[quote]Anyone done an alternator upgrade with higher amp rating?

Does anyone know the measurement of the alternator adjustment braket/foot spacing?

Do 320's have similar alternator and bracket to a B120 1200 Pickup?

I know on B210 1200 can be easily upgraded to Ford EA Falcon 85 amp w/ internal regulator, also Bluebird Series II 80's model sedan, Nissan Gazelle/Silvia S12 with CA20 engine with little mod on the wiring.

Planning to upgrade alternator & H4 headlight conversion
[/quote]

brunop

Razor l can help you with this problem & when l get a new camera i''LL post a photo on this site of my early Mazda alternator setup on my 320 datto to help anyone else. My old datto mehanic friend build this setup using the oiginal wiring setup in the 80s on my ute. Bruns;)

Return to “Datsun Chat”