Alternator removal problems

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
supersnake83
Car: Infiniti J 30

Hi everyone,

This is kind of important for obvious reasons.

I have a 93 J and I tried to remove my alternator today. It only has one 17mm bolt holding it on top and a tensioner screw and tensioner bolt at the bottom.

My problem is, the upper bolt is stuck. I unscrewed it from underneath the car using my reversal and a long extension bar and the bolt came out about a 1/4" and now it is stuck. It seems like either the threads on the screw or threads inside of the bracket are stripped. I can't get the screw out or back in.

Any Ideas on how I could get that screw out without doing too much taking off other parts.

Thanks,

Geoff.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

Loosen the tensioner, it should be alot easier to get some play.

supersnake83

I loosened it by about a 1/4 inch because I thought that it would be enough since I had to have the upper bolt removed to take the alternator off.

But should I have loosened it to the point where it would have been almost off. I noticed that the thread on the tensioner was about 1 1/2 to an 1 3/4 inch long pass the lock bolt.

How much should I loosen the tesnioner (about how much thread should be left pass the lock bolt) to be sufficient enough where it would make it easier to remove the upper bolt.

Thanks,

Geoff.

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

I havent ever looked at the tensioner, but if there is a bolt that you can completely unscrew then do that. Should give you enough room.

supersnake83

I unscrewed it all the way and it didn't help with the upper bolt. It's stripped. I guess I'll just have to try and take it to a mechanic or find some way to cut the bolt off.

Thanks for all of your help.

If any other ideas come to mind, please post them.

Thanks everyone,

Geoff.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”