Alternator? Relay problem? PLEASE HELP!!!

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
lovemy200sx
Car: 1997 Nissan 200sx- White!

Hello all-

Me and my 200sx (102,500k) have been together about three years. This is the very first problem I've ever had... so I don't know what to think.

I was driving home from the grocery store, with my air conditioning on low. Out of the middle of nowhere, the a/c kicked on full blast, and the BRAKE and BATTERY lights on the dash lit up. None of the other lights, just those two. The radio didn't die, nor did the car run any different. I immediately turned off the a/c. Just as soon as the problem started, it stopped. I got into the parking lot of my apartment complex (about 1.5 mi) and the problem started again; vent kicking on full blast and the battery and brake lights. I sat and listened to it run, watched the temp. gauge and watched the tachometer for a couple minutes, and everything seemed fine, except for those two lights and the vents on full blast. I shut off the car for about 5 minutes, and when I turned it on again the lights were off; vents were back on low. I didn't leave it on long enough to find out if the problem would kick up again.

I called my father (an ex-mechanic; now builds bridges for a living) and he said that it probably isn't the alternator, that it sounds like a relay problem. He also said that he doesn't know jack about cars newer than 1985, so I should ask around.

I have a half hour each way commute to work every day, and I'm assuming that I shouldn't drive it. Any help at all would be appreciated.

Thanks so much-Holly

RED_DET
Vendor
Car: 2004 6 speed G35 Sedan, 2011 G37x, 1992 Nissan Sentra SE-R SR20DET, C7Z06

Sounds like a relay problem to me as well. You would have other problems if it was the alternator. Relay switch for A/C is under the hood.

deathBooster
Car: 240sx under construction

dude i had a similar problem, for some reason all electrical components are off, interior lights, headlights, dashboard lights everything is off.. but the car still runs.. i rev it for a while and the lights goes all back on. but once it shuts they go back off again...

did you fix your problem??? was it the a/c relay???keep me update....

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”