Alternator/Belt tensioner help?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
95j30driver
Car: 1995 infiniti j30

On my newly acquired 1995 I am curious about the removal of my alternator. From the looks of things this has to be done from underneath the vehicle. Can anyone tell me what size bolts they are, how many, and how to adjust the tension on the belt. I'm completely new to this vehicle so any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

macgiver

mac , I got one,93 .Bolts are 12mm bracket lock, 10mm tension adj., 17mm swivel point (kind of hidden), and I believe have a 14mm on hand .It's best done from bottom , removing that 3' x 3' plastic under-baffle.Tip Brakleen wipe really well ALL the pulley grooves from ALL incidental pulleys -ESPECIALLY Alt. pulley - it's the smallest , and it tends to SLIP very easy SQUEALS(noticed upon starting) . But , this belt is routed on W/pump too and you DO NOT WANT w/pump tension too tight - not good for pump, not good for FRONT MAIN BEARING. It IS a "balancing act".I've always disconnected neg. battery post -of course,tightened up what I felt "medium tension" and then ONLY if slipping when initially starting car (warmed-up belt grabs better) I turn tension adjusting2-3 full turns , no more than 4,and that usually does it. I've put three Alt (Bosch OK) in my J over 20 years 195k-mi. :biggrin:Wait to put that stupid baffle in a few days , that you KNOW you're adjusted proper. :rotfl
Last edited by macgiver on Fri May 18, 2018 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

95j30driver
Car: 1995 infiniti j30

Thanks for the frightening (lol) yet helpful info!!!!

macgiver

mac,OK you're ON now :chuckle: One more TIP= I happened to goto Checker first time , Lifetime Warranty :bs: Broke w/ less than 90 days I just reverse scammed'em for money back :rotfl Then went to Pep Boys due to Bosch w/Lifetime Wanty also , figured Bosch better reman, NOT wanting to go way of OEM from Nissan or even INFINITI($345). Bosch lasted around 8 years and got another that's still in car = OK . So I paid for ONE :lolling:

fourdrinie
Car: 97 J30

get your belts OEM from Nissan/Infiniti, best quality and fit...

macgiver

mac, my original J30 Alt and P./St. went 180k,have original owners rcsts.-don't see replaced,I replaced & hanging on wall now - A-C belt is
STILL IN CAR ! :wtf2:
OEM , good yeah

MikeRL411
Car: 1997J30T, 1967RL411

I have a similar "problem" with my 1997 J30T ! Although it is 21 years old, I have only 56,00 miles on it. I had the 7 year, 108,000 miles service and timing belt replacement done at 40,000 miles. So, now I have 21 years on the car[service manual require service] and yet only 60,000 miles on the [honest] odometer. So do I go with the years and change out the timing belt [and for the sake of it] the water pump and timing belt / tensioners, which I am led to believe is a routine dealer stocked replacement annual change out kit for this V6 engine] or just trust to luck? I am strongly leaning toward a 21 year, 216,000 mile service as called for in the glove box service manual. My wife and I picked this model for our retirement cruiser to visit our kids and any of the moment visitor sites we wanted to see but it didn't work out that way since my wife has age relater medical problems. You really should not pee on leather seats!

macgiver

mac, Hey MikeRL411 ,I got the 93 J , can tell you a few suggestions ,factoids & exp.I have 260kmi :yesnod
Locale , "garaged', oil changes biggest factors in lifespan of these cars. Some things - I have never had a OEM
water pump leak / go bad, I put 160kmi !!! on last Timing belt & pulleys ,pulleys (3x3 sets=9) never went completly bad , one got little noisy(upper pulley) easily replaced by itself, Motor sounded like "upper valve" knocking like a "trashed engine" but when T-belt & pulley set , totally SMOOTH now, use the 20/50 or Mob1 15/50 in summer for sure, trans fluid use Nissan D fluid in a pan drop & clean/screen clean / fill @55kmi ,gotta WAX on the clear-coat to prevent fade .......... If you may want to wait until ANY "mild slapping" in the cams , or wait till water pump weeps - those BOTH get done doing the T- belt and pulleys (tensioner piston really is very very tough- I test & re-used mine).The Timing belt in mine 115K and the 160kmi both didn't look damaged , or slipping , no oil leaks at cam seals (cam seals are my originals - never wanted to fix what's not broke there! :) ) First one was replaced as a maint. milestone , 2nd T-belt replaced because THREE mechanics told me my motor was trashed (I'm a mech. too :rotfl ) W/ new belt it revs , runs, idles etc. like it's on a SECOND LEASE on LIFE! Any questions? I think yours is low mi babied and these cars are die-hards . :chuckle:
I've seen 'em in junkyard with up to 287 kmi on them :lolling: TIP= on VG30DE look inside oil filler at #1 intake cam lobe , mine like a mirror .This oughtta be a kind of all-round "representative condition" of motor, and if you have lotsa SLUDGE buildup - or whatever.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”