Alternator Belt Tensioner Bolt

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
komradklaus
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45t
1999 Infiniti Q45t

I was replacing my alternator today in my '96 G50 and I actually got the alternator in with only a medium amount of cursing. However, when I was installing the new belt, I damaged the idler pulley. While attempting to loosen the idler pulley to get the belt on, the head of the bolt snapped right off. The bolt I'm talking about is the long one which slides the pulley wheel up and down. Well, apparently it's a left handed metric thread. Fastenal was unable to help me since they don't carry any left handed metric bolts whatsoever, much less the specific one I needed. I read on this forum in an older thread that you can poach that bolt or the whole assembly off of the AC compressor pulley. Well, that bolt's head was snapped off too before I even looked at it and appears to be held together with rust and Japanese pixie dust, so I can't even poach that.

I have found a few places online selling idler pulley's (part # 1192560U03), but none with pictures. I also found an idler pulley bracket for $60 (# 1192660U10), but again, I'm unsure if this will include the actual damaged part that I need. Can someone help me identify the correct part number so I can order the part. I'd hate to drop $100 and get ubers for days only to find I ordered the wrong thing. Come to think of it, I probably should replace the shoulder-bolt that the other bolt is broken in too.

I'm including a picture of the broken bolt for reference. Any assistance at all will be very appreciated.

https://imgur.com/18xvqu3

EdBwoy

Unfortunately, it seems like the bolt isn't available individually anymore... at least not from Infiniti.

I might not be able to help much with the part numbers, but I use this site due to their detailed pictures.
Here's the alternator setup:
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... tting.html

Here's the power steering setup:
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... nting.html

I am sorry I can't locate a similar part from an old Qx4 (Pathfinder), but because they liked snapping off, I had saved that one bracket. If I find it in the garage, I'll look at it. Comparing part numbers online, at least the R50 one is still available. Worth checking with a Nissan dealer?
https://www.infinitipartsdeal.com/parts ... m=230_F003.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

It appears to be available.

https://parts.infinitiusa.com/nissanpar ... ode=11948X

Part number. 1194860U01

I'd be inclined to replace the entire assembly though... 1192560U03. Especially if the center carrier for the pulley is rusty, or there's any roughness in the bearings. These are fairly common failure items.

komradklaus
1999 Infiniti Q45t

Well, I think I'm gonna replace the whole assembly (1192560U03) since the whole thing was pretty rusty and crusty down there. Probably leave the AC tensioner alone for now since the belt appears to have good tension and I'm not gonna be using the AC anyway for several months.

Thanks for your help everyone.

my12by60

You can also just replace the bearings in any of those pulleys. I used these in my 2000 Q45 alternator pulley.

https://smile.amazon.com/XiKe-12x37x12m ... dpSrc=srch

I was able to knock out the old and insert the new on my workbench using a socket bit to avoid damage to the new bearings.

komradklaus
1999 Infiniti Q45t

After a lot of headache, I got the car running again. I initially messed up the parts stack and burned a belt because the pulley wasn't spinning freely, but I got that belt replaced. Then I had a little coolant puke out because a fitting was a bit loose (must've knocked it loose when I was messing with the coolant filter bracket). Tightened that baby back down, and she runs!

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

:bigthumb: :toast:

my12by60

I did the exact same thing when I had to take that pulley off for a repair of something else. Without me realizing it, a spacer dropped out when the pulley came unbolted. I did not realize I was missing that spacer and put things back together. The pulley spun freely when I put things back together, but I thought the space between the pulley and the pulley bracket was a bit minimal. Well, under engine load the pulley rubbed and burned out the belt and the bearings in the pulley. I found the brass spacer on the garage floor and figured out the problem. That is how I learned about replacing the bearings in the pulley. Glad to hear you are back up and running.

sandydennis11
Car: 1996 Infiniti Q45 176k miles
purchased new in 1995

The part number for that entire assembly does not work. Plug the number in and get no results. Will be ordering the assembly for future repairs on my '96.

EdBwoy

komradklaus wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:55 pm
... Probably leave the AC tensioner alone for now since the belt appears to have good tension and I'm not gonna be using the AC anyway for several months.
I'm glad you're back on the road. However, I'd recommend you look into the AC system as well. The manual should mention this, but you should run your AC often (maybe 10 minutes per month at min, but I'd confirm first).

One reason is to keep your AC system lubricated. Compressors aren't cheap and properly refilling the system costs an arm and a leg as well.

The other reason (and I'm not saying this is your reason, because the car might just be sitting over the winter) is that a lot of people turn off the AC during the winter. The misconception is that air-conditioning is the opposite of heating, but in reality they work in conjunction with each other. If you have an automatic system, just hit the AUTO button once you set the temperature and let the car do its magic... which might include turning on the AC compressor regardless of ambient temperature.

This link might have useful info: climate-auto-t596457.html

komradklaus
1999 Infiniti Q45t

I didn't know that, so I'll have to remember that. Thanks for the info.

ZiprHead
Car: 1999 Infiniti Q45 base

Can't you just weld the bolt back together?

cbird805
Car: 2003 Infiniti M45
1995 Infiniti Q45 Base
(prev) 1994 Infiniti Q45 Base

I had a similar problem on one of the adjusters. I jury-rigged it by using a length of all-thread and double nutting it on both sides of the adjuster. It's been awhile since i did that, but it never gave me any problems. Using two nuts helps in holding it in place and from coming loose. I used some red thread-locker, just to be sure. It is a PITA when it comes time to replace/re-adjust it, is all.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”