Alternate voice commands not on by default...reason why?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
inteller
Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

Does anyone know why the voice commands for controlling climate and music are not on by default? I just don't get it. I'm also betting that somewhere embedded in the system is a way to get the full list of alternate commands like the Canadian models have.

Dodgeyaussie

inteller wrote:Does anyone know why the voice commands for controlling climate and music are not on by default? I just don't get it. I'm also betting that somewhere embedded in the system is a way to get the full list of alternate commands like the Canadian models have.
Infiniti's goal was to simplify the VR system, hence having the simplest menu available as default.

Alternate Command Mode

You can change to an Alternate Command Mode that enables advanced operation of the Display, Audio, and Climate Control systems using voice recognition. When this mode is active, the voice command menu prompts are turned OFF and an expanded list of commands can be spoken.

To Turn ON the Alternate Command Mode:

1 Press the SETTING button.2 Highlight Others, then press ENTER.3 Highlight Voice Recognition, then press ENTER.4 Highlight Alternate Command Mode, then press ENTER

Voice Recognition User Guide and Command ListA simplified User Guide containing basic instructions for using the Voice Recognition system is available for reference.

1 Press the SETTING button.2 Highlight Others, then press ENTER.3 Highlight Voice Recognition, then press ENTER.4 Highlight User Guide, then press ENTER.5 Highlight the desired topic, the press ENTER. The tutorial will begin.

rubbersidedown
Car: Infiniti EX35. Black & Chestnut. All options but Tech Pkg. RWD.

Excellent post - thanks for sorting out the issue!

Dodgeyaussie

rubbersidedown wrote:Excellent post - thanks for sorting out the issue!
You're welcome. I do agree that it's a bit rediculous that radio stations and temperature settings can no longer be programmed via VR. I told the local rep as much.

Guess i'll have to get me an '07 :D

inteller

it makes no sense that the canadian version has all of the commands enabled but the US version does not. I think a lawyer got involved somewhere. I mean hell on the canadian version you can tell it what mood of music to play!

EXceptional
Car: 2008 Aspen Pearl EX35 Freakin Loaded!

So Dodgeyaussie...

By doing your Instructions, does that mean that the US version of the EX35 would be identical to the Canadian Version... or are there a few things that it still can't do ?

A lot of US people are choked that the VR on their EX35 isn't as good as ours up here.

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

According to this thread ...zerothread/325776... (and also inferred by "Dodgey"s post above) even with the Alternate Command Mode enabled, some things like temperature and radio settings, can't be controlled with VR on US models that can be done on CA models.

I have a Canadian vehicle so can't confirm one way or another.

inteller

correct. Alternate commands will give you a few more options, but it still wouldn't give you things like precise temperature control and music genre control.

Dodgeyaussie

The "alternative command mode" simply allows you to control more systems than just the phone and navigation via VR which is the default setting. It doesn't give you more commands for each system... (nav... audio...) etc

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”