Alright..Import

A forum for owners and fans of the legendary Nissan Skyline and Nissan GTR.
dave_id

if i make my dad purchase some skyline in japan and ship it to me, wouldnt it just be cheaper if he cut the ignition off so it doesnt start, and ship it "as parts" ? Seems so...

EZcheese15
Car: 2012 Juke SV
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Um....no.

EPA would consider that an illegally imported skyline with a bad ignition.

andrave
Car: assorted

yeah, I bet customs was born like yesterday, too.read up on people that tried to scam stuff through customs...they won't let a car that can be converted into a driving car be imported as parts, you will probably have to cut it in half.you will have to import it as a show vehicle or a race vehicle.a show vehicle will be nearly impossible unless you can show it is drastically different than other cars or has some great significance.For a race vehicle I am not sure on what you have to prove, but I'm sure they will demand that it be "race ready" enough that it could not be converted back to street use, ie full roll cage, etc...

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

For a race vehicle, it's required to have things like a roll cage, 5 pt harness, lexan windows, etc. And you also have to provide a list of races the vehicle will be in. Along with documentation showing that vehicle is legal for the series of racing you plan on doing.

dave_id

ok sorry for not clarifying, but over here that epa stuff doesnt really apply, this is the land of hookups if you ask me, but yeah, im just thinking of getting the importing price down... taxes tariffs bonds blah blah blah

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

Where is "over here"?? If you live anywhere in the U.S., then the EPA stuff DOES apply, whether you think it does or not.

IvoryJ30t
Car: 95 Maxima GLE, 95 Maxima GXE

hahahahaha

no matter how you think your gonna scam the government, its gonna bite you in the ***. your jdm tyte skyline is gonna be usdm crushed.

andrave

yeah thats what sucks. if you try and scam em and they figure it out (and I'd guess they are pretty sharp on scams since there are thousands of us who would like to bring illegal cars over here and very few of us do) then they crush it.

IvoryJ30t

you know what would be funny, if you did try and scam your way into a jdm skyline and customs knew it, if they didnt say anything and just crushed the car and put it back in the container like nothing ever happened.

maybe with a little note that reads "NICE TRY"

dave_id

i know this maybe because there are so many skylines and some silvias around that havent gone thru that bull, and not to mention alot of others such as mr-2's and rx-7's all IMPORTED. Most are daily driven and the otheres are in used car lots..i didnt ask for your gripes and complaints, i just wanted to know if my shipping price would go down. Thank you

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

You still haven't answered the question where "here" is. I find it VERY hard to believe that there are "many" of illegally imported skylines, silvias, mr-2's, and rx-7's where you are.

With all those cars, they can each be made to appear "JDM" fairly easily from U.S. counterparts, with the exception of the Skyline, which *is* JDM. You sure you aren't seeing USDM cars?

Also, if *any* car is in a used car lot in the U.S., then it is legal. No if's, and's, or but's about it. It *IS* USDM unless it is a Skyline, in which case it *was* legalized by Motorex. It is illegal for any dealer, new or used, to sell a car that is not street legal.

IvoryJ30t

heres the important difference your missing. mr2's and rx7's are legal in the united states. i doubt people would go through the trouble of bringing in a jdm car thats commonly available domestically. also, if soemone were to bring in one of those vehicles, especially a LHD version, it would be considerably easier because those cars are sold here. the skyline was not, and therefore is MUCH harder...

but the most likely scenario is that those are usdm cars made to appear ""JDM"

IvoryJ30t

your missing the big picture that your shipping price will be low, but your not gonna get your hands on the car, much less get to drive it on american soil.

go ahead, tell your dad to waste money on a car you probably shouldnt be driving, just so it can get confiscated by the government upon arrival in the US.

dont think your gonna slip one by uncle sam...

and even if you do somehow manage to slip it through, i want video of what happens when the DMV laughs at you when you try to get plates for it...

dont think your getting a skyline.

andrave

WHERE IS HERE?

IvoryJ30t

who the hell cares. "here" is obviously his imagnation...

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

IvoryJ30t wrote:heres the important difference your missing. mr2's and rx7's are legal in the united states. i doubt people would go through the trouble of bringing in a jdm car thats commonly available domestically. also, if soemone were to bring in one of those vehicles, especially a LHD version, it would be considerably easier because those cars are sold here. the skyline was not, and therefore is MUCH harder...

but the most likely scenario is that those are usdm cars made to appear ""JDM"

A LHD RX7 or MR2 can be legally imported with virtually no paperwork (well, there is paperwork, but it's easy stuff). A RHD version takes a little bit more paperwork (to prove that it is as safe as the LHD version in crash testing), but still considerably easy.

Silvia is impossible. Or atleast, Motorex-style possible. But that takes literally hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions. However, you can convert a 240SX to a silvia somewhat legally. As legal as a JDM engine swap is anyway. I have a friend who converted a 98 240SX to RHD with the S14 SR20DET. Car looked like a 100% stock 98 Silvia. It was very neat. But according to the VIN, it's still a USDM 240SX.

gabossie
Car: Your mom

From what I understand, it's possible to bring them in as a parts car actually, but you cannot bring it in as a whole car. You basically have to take the car apart and reassemble it when you get it here (remove engine, rear subframe, possibly interior). Of course, the DMV will still laugh at you when you try to register it. All I can say is GOOD LUCK!

EZcheese15
2011 Titan Pro-4X
2007 BMW 328i

gabossie wrote:From what I understand, it's possible to bring them in as a parts car actually, but you cannot bring it in as a whole car. You basically have to take the car apart and reassemble it when you get it here (remove engine, rear subframe, possibly interior). Of course, the DMV will still laugh at you when you try to register it. All I can say is GOOD LUCK!

That's fine to get the car here. Doesn't make it street legal though. Like you said, the DMV will laugh at you, but it's pefrectly cool to have a skyline sitting in your garage. Just don't plan on driving it, or atleast not on the street anyway.

IvoryJ30t

hey, he can do laps around his driveway. if your dads gonna by you a skyline, tell him you need a track in your backyard too.

andrave

ask dad if he will send two, I'd like one also. we can hang out and sit in the driveway, and tow them around. we will be friends.

vapor_skank

if its such a problem gettin one through customs and such u should just go through motorex if u have the money for that.

AREITU

dave_id wrote:i know this maybe because there are so many skylines and some silvias around that havent gone thru that bull, and not to mention alot of others such as mr-2's and rx-7's all IMPORTED. Most are daily driven and the otheres are in used car lots..i didnt ask for your gripes and complaints, i just wanted to know if my shipping price would go down. Thank you

I see MR2s and RX7s every day. I don't see Skylines every day.

I've spoken to the guys at RB Motoring (http://www.rbmotoring.com). They know people try to scam the DOT and bypass legalization and it rarely works. DMVs across the country know what a Silvia or a Skyline is and they're not that stupid, because people are trying to pull this crap all the time. Vinswapping with a 240SX or a Maxima isn't going to work either. Also, if you're spotted by Skyline owners (who have legal cars) driving your illegally imported Skyline around as if it were street legal, Motorex and RB Motoring will know almost immediately. There aren't that many Skyines and word gets around. Your Skyline will be impounded and deported. It's already happened.

With a great word of caution, I leave you with this: Unless you import a Skyline with the intent of legaliation, it's basically going to be impossible to legalize once it's here.

If you import one, and only drive it on the track, it would be all good.

hatebobbarker
Car: 350z, 240sx(for sale)

areitu you scared him off of telling us where here is...

Return to “GTR Forum / Skyline Forum”