All You Need

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
rico05
Car: 1992 RMS13 w/ CA18DET

Ok. I need to vent, and since this is the drift forum and what I have to vent about is drifting related, I hope this is where it needs to go. If not, mods I apologize and please move where you deem necessary.

I get tired of every day flipping though magazines (ricer ones like Modified or Import Tuner) and see that you need this or you need that to drift. Like the kids 2 years ago saying you need NOS to be fast. Keiichi Tsuchia became the friggin "Drift King" in an old Toyota before crap like adjustible coilovers were even on the market. In the Drift Bible, he even says that he started drifitng on the togues in a AE86 with cut springs and bald tires. Day in and day out I read on here about magical parts that make drifiting possible. Coilovers that cost more than my car did. Brakes that I will never fully utilize. But for some reason, I need them to be a true drifter. People like that are the reason that I fear the next Fast & Furious movie will be about drifting. People with that mentality are the ones polluting out sport. I think think folks are trying to compensate for skill and guts with lots of parts and brand names. Here is my point:

ALL YOU NEED TO DRIFT IS FR AND BALLS

Nuff said.

BuudWeizErr

You can't stop it. Don't even try. Just hope it slows down before it gets gayed up. Just go with the flow and have fun.

There are going to be people who start stock and those who start fully modified. I could care less.

Checkered-Member
Car: 1998 Nissan Altima(modded), 2003 Audi A6 2.7T(stock)

they are just trying to commercialize drifting, they need to feed their kids somehow

daniel

you dont need anything to drift

its just nice to have full sus and power

HybridOne
Car: swaps

this is very true...however, it's alot more controlled with better equipment. I could go hunting with a bow and arrow if i wanted to, but guns seem to be more usefull. The sport is improved with new gadgets, but it's also taking away from the skill needed to pull off some of the good manuvers. You can put a spin on this either way you want.You don't NEED anything special to drift...but it doesn't hurt to upgrade certain parts of you car to make the drifts in a more controlled environment...Then you don't have to adjust your driving to compensate for the car's shortcommings. You adjust your suspension and various other parts you've added to compensate...after all...it's a machine, why should you have to adjust your driving when you can adjust the machine.

the "drift king" makes suspensions...Kei Office. You may not need it, but even "HE" upgrades his suspension.

Anand

NO one will eb able to do anything with this Drifitng thing right now... it will becomemore and more minstreem. BUT eventually all this hype will fall off and all the ricers will go with the new fad of whatever is in at that time.. and when the dust settles... who do you think will be left standing??

the true enthusiasts... people like us who got on it way before the bandwagon and stayed through the hype

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

they're coming out with a tv series on spike tv about drifting. the cars and drifting will be cool but the hosts will probably mess it up.

Anand

yea, it's called redline... it's by Modified mag

silkk
Car: 94 B13, 89 S13, 07 S2000

..yeah

DriftFactory
Car: Evil S13

It is true that you can drift with a stock car. But you can also drag race a tricycle if you wanted. Drifting is like any other sport, when it started there was little or no aftermarket support for it. Tsuchiya drifted his stock Toyota because there wasn’t much else around in Japan at the time. But I pose a simple question to you. Does Tsuchiya still drift a stock Toyota? No, and the reason for this is simple. Since the sport has grown, companies have started to take notice and have begun to supply parts that allow more power, more control, and better reliability. These are in no way bad things. Football players could still be wearing leather helmets, but they don’t. I’m not saying that you NEED every bell and whistle on the market just to be able to drift. However, increased capability should never be viewed as a bad thing.

I think we are all worried about drifting becoming a bandwagon sport. The thing that you need to remember though is that a sport is guided by the people doing it. Some kid in a Civic is not out drifting Touge every night, but maybe you are. So, you are the one with the buying power and you are the one that dictates how the sport develops. If you refuse to buy parts from the company with the half naked import models and ricer advertising than that company will not sell enough to keep tarnishing the sport and will have to adapt to what you want or go out of business. Drifting is not for F&F types for one reason. You cannot just jump in a car and drift. It takes practice and dedication. While it is true that people will try and pretend that they are drifters, it cannot collapse the way the street racing scene did. Anyone can throw on an intake and exhaust and step on the gas. No one can just hop in a car and drift.

daniel

ok.

let me put it this waydrifting in america

is NOT a sport yet

americans (99% of them) are still finding out what drift is..NO idea in reality what the **** is going on around them. so basically when the dust settles and everyone knows what drifting is

i believe the american mentality will shy away from it because most people are just not into ruining their hard work

also driftfactory i bet you i could get into 9 out of 10 cars and drift them pretty ****ing good. trust me

if you're in LA we can meet up if you want....just give me a little while to get a car together. my support vehicle got totalled so im waiting for the dust to settle from insurance and figure out wtf is up with that

THEN i will go ahead and get the SECRET HOTNESS SPLbut if you wanna come get me we can go anywhere you want.

DriftFactory
Car: Evil S13

I fully believe that drifting is here to stay. Why? Because it has been underground so long. The sports that stay underground for a long time before they go big tend to be the ones that last. Look at NASCAR, it was underground forever and than one day the public started to take notice. I think that is were drifting is now. People are starting to take notice of an underground culture and before long I think that we will be the next NASCAR.:ylsuper

daniel

do you still wanna go out and have a blast?

it'll be fun!

SKAGEE
Car: cars

I don't know about you guys but to me drifting a stock car isn't as easy as drifting a 'tricked' out car. Further more with the level of drifting now , where speed and angle is so ridiculous, it will be impossible to do it in the stock car.

However, I think I understand where rico05 is getting at. Make do with what you have and basically have fun. That was how it got started in Japan, a bunch of people just basically showboating and having a riot of a time!! Maybe those who are new to it is missing that part of the evolution of drifting since competition is popping up everywhere. Drifting has become a competitive sport , and when it becomes competitive, everyone wants to have an edge ..Enter your big parts manufactures and publications cashing on it..

madbouncy
Car: 93 Mazda RX7 R1

I think a lot of it is because they're trying to draw so many people from drag racing, because that was the last big thing so they want all those people that were buying stuff for dragging, to buy stuff for drifting. The problem is, in drag racing, you actually need a lot of the stuff, because skill willl help you get faster, but you're only as fast as your car, and it won't take all that long before you max out your cars top speed. Where as, in drifting, the majority of it is skill, if you notice a lot of the top suspension parts for drifting are incredibly personalized, you can change like everything. It's meant so that you can get the car EXACTLY how you want it, rather than trying to fight against it. Also, if you look at the dyno numbers for a lot of drift events, most of the cars stay around the same top numbers, most of the cars I see go for like 400 hp, obviously there are exceptions. They could easily get their cars to have a lot more horsepower, but it just shows that the cars don't need to compete against each other, it all comes down to the drivers.

I personaly think it's harder to get into drifting because it's harder in general, so a lot of ricers will brag, then get ****ing wrecked and go back to drag racing. Too many of them wouldn't be able to stand going from being the top of the town to the bottom.

Tx-Sx-FS
Car: S13 KA-T

just a quick question...if i have a stock 89 s13 with 157xxx miles, what are the chances of me being able to drift? how much hp or torque will i need for good drifting capabitlites? thats all

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Pray for rain.

:D

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

Tx-Sx-FS wrote:just a quick question...if i have a stock 89 s13 with 157xxx miles, what are the chances of me being able to drift? how much hp or torque will i need for good drifting capabitlites? thats all
your car, and an open parking lot. it'll be a bit more difficult without a limited slip, but it's possible. I can get my rear to swing out consistently without an LSD.

I do think that you really don't need any widgets and gadgets to get sideways. Back when my suspension was stock on the 240, I could get the tail to slide out, it's just easier to do now that the suspension has been upgraded.

Tx-Sx-FS

well when i turn left down my street...i get the car to slide out from left to right...but never get it to go sideways in a forward movement...is there where lsd comes into place? or do i just need better suspsension or just more power to the wheels?

Anand

that's how you start off the slide and then you just learn to hold the drift while going straight..

practice makes perfect.

Flybert

Tx-Sx-FS wrote:well when i turn left down my street...i get the car to slide out from left to right...but never get it to go sideways in a forward movement...is there where lsd comes into place? or do i just need better suspsension or just more power to the wheels?

Sounds like you are in first gear going like 5mph. Try the top of second and you'll be taking plenty of forward momentum.

Tx-Sx-FS

well theres cars..and old people who live around me..plus its like a two lane residential round...i usually do it in second gear not doing more than 10 or 15 mph...if i had more room id try it with more gas...or even more practice...well im trying atleast...thanks for support guys...but no one answered when i asked how much horsepower or torque is recommended or needed to drift for a good distance...like bolt ons or turbo?

Hijacker
Car: '92 240sx Convertible
'94 F-150

you can drift with any kind of power rating. depending on your power, you need to alter your technique a bit. there is no magical horsepower or torque figure that needs to be obtained before you can drift.

Anand

your KA has enough tq for you to drift good....

Iwant240insteadofP/U

I can see were you are comeing from, I guess I would technicaly be one of those kids since I just started learning about cars and motor sports in general, but what Im realy tierd of is this anti-bandwagon-bandwagon:) seriously though IF THE FUN YOU ARE HAVING IS DEMINISHED BY THE FACT OTHERS WANT TO DO IT NOW YOU ARE JUST TRYING TO SHOWOFF BY BEING DIFFERENT AND ARE NO BETTER THEN THE KID WITH THE 10' WING. honestly there is no differance between if you were sitting alone drifting and if the whole cast of the fast and the furious are out behind the local k-mart dooing revears donuts in a FF car just do you thing man. Not realy trying to get on anyone but I hear so many bandwagon complaints, at one point you had never drifted and didnt own the car you have now. anyways try likeing real hiphop and not just mainstream rap, you have no idea of what it is like sifting through missinformed kids who be bling blinging until you deal with do ragged 16 year old telling you the jazz or funk you are playing is wack. what does jazz have to do with hip hop anyways. *sigh*. oops was talking about drifting and rambled into music, guess we all need to vent sometimesIn summoryhang inthere there will always be someone just trying to be cool, but try to take it easy on the others and forget the posers, just clear your head and keep it sideways cause drifting is a beutifull thing.. im going to go study spelling and vehichle dynamics later yall

SKAGEE
Car: cars

Tx-Sx-FS wrote:well theres cars..and old people who live around me..plus its like a two lane residential round...i usually do it in second gear not doing more than 10 or 15 mph...if i had more room id try it with more gas...or even more practice...well im trying atleast...thanks for support guys...but no one answered when i asked how much horsepower or torque is recommended or needed to drift for a good distance...like bolt ons or turbo?

Parked cars, narrow roads and old people don't actually make a good enviroment for a place to learn how to drift. :D .. I would suggest an empty parking lot and basically doing circles..try starting off with a smaller circle at a slower speed and gradually increasing the speed while maintaining the circle circumference..at a certain point the tail will definately swing out and you would have to learn to control it with proper steering and throttle. Basically this practice actually helps you became more familiar with your cars charateristics.

As for not being able to maintain the drift , I suspect that you might be getting too much traction..what you want to do is to keep the wheels to spin continuously which helps to maintain the drift ( ie: keeps the car at an angle)..Try the 'dump clutch' technique rather than the power over ( i assume that you are using)..

As for power, nothing beats a properly set up car. Increase the front chamber while reducing the rear. Toe out the rear and get an LSD ( a standard nissan viscous is good enough). And get stiffer shocks. Though I wouldn't recommend driving the car fast with the mentioned set up suggestions. Don't worry about power as you would only need them once you start getting better. Then again what do I know? heeheheehee

ShifDown96240SE
Car: Drifting, racing, Reptiles,partying

ive been drifting my 240 for almost 3 years now, and i still dont have more than 170 HP. Just find a nice place with noone around, and start setting up turns in your head or use cones or curbs to drift around. Go in hot dump the clutch as you turn towards the turn, and countersteer while playing with the throttle. more throttle=more tire spin= more sideways, less throttle=more grip, you start to starighten out.good luck, i hope this helps, i know its not perfect or else i would be driving ion D1 by now-Bryan

marshun

i like that allot of people are trying to get into drifting. cause they suck at it. they crash a couple of times and thne get out of it. hehe. i have a friend who's a prime example. i love it. he rides with me when i go drifting, but he'll never drive his 240 like that again.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”