CHATROOM: All Season Replacement Tires

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
mlmcgahee
Car: 2010 Nissan Altima Coupe 2.5s

Can anyone suggest a good set of all season replacement tires for the Rogue? I am looking at the Yokohama AVID TRZ. They are highly rated by Tire Rack and Consumer Reports.

philipa_240sx

I have not had any experience with the TRZ, but generally I have been very happy with previous Yokohama tires. The TRZ is on my short list to replace the conti's along with the Geolander HT-S. Some of my driving involves gravel & dirt roads and the more aggressive tread pattern of the Geolander HT-S may be preferable over the TRZ.

mlmcgahee

I had 4 new Yokohama AVID TRZ's installed today. I didn't think that my Rogue could ride or handle any better but so far I am very impressed with these tires.

philipa_240sx

Keep us posted on how the Yok TRZ's work out for you. I am sure many of our members will be looking for replacement tires at some point.

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

Love my Avids. Much quieter, smoother at lower RPMs than the Cont1 Contacts, more than twice as much tread depth as the OEM Contacts. Seems like a fine tire so far. Much better than the %$ppy Contacts.

A dealer I know advises (for a really fair price) getting out of the thin Contacts on to a better tire because the OEMs only have a tread depth of 6.

mlmcgahee

I agree 100% roguetoad. After 1 week on the new Avids my Rogue feels more sure-footed on the road and handles better than it ever did.

kerrton
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL FWD Gotham Gray

I would highly recommend the Nokian All-Weather tires if you live in an area that gets snow but don't want to have two sets of tires for each season, I haven't found anything that can compete with them. They are a new concept - All-Weather, not All Season. They look kind of like snow tires, perform like snow tires in the winter but they are intended to be used all season and are surprisingly quiet and responsive in warm dry conditions, and come with an 80,000 km tread warranty.

For me this puts the winter tire argument to rest - you don't need to swap dedicated winter tires on and off every year, instead you can have true solid performance in all seasons and eliminate the need for tire swapping, and they look great on stock rims, you don't need to buy ugly winter rims.

I did a ton of research, and know many people in my area that are buying them, it is really a popular tire. The research I did indicated that they perform as well in cold snow/ice conditions as mid-range winter tires, and also get great performance and are quiet in warm dry conditions. They are made in Iceland I believe, and in Canada they are only available at Kal-Tire as far as I know.

philipa_240sx

Kerrton is referring to the Nokian WR series. There are both the WR and the newer WRG2 available in both passenger car and SUV/Truck variants.

WR SUV:http://www.nokiantires.com/tyr...2+SUV

WRG2 SUV:http://www.nokiantires.com/tyr...2+SUV

These are all season tires with the Severe Service rating (Snowflake in the Mountain symbol) so they are suitable for winter. They do sacrifice some snow traction for all season performance. Also, they tend to be a bit softer (read: less road feel and steering response) than typical All season tires.

I haven't read much reviews, nor have I used these tires. Canadian Driver published a review of the WR you may find useful:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/...n.htm

mlmcgahee

philipa_240sx wrote:Keep us posted on how the Yok TRZ's work out for you. I am sure many of our members will be looking for replacement tires at some point.
It has been 6000 miles on my new Yoko Avid TRZ tires. I had them rotated and balanced and they show very little wear. The Yokohama Avid TRZ has been an extremely satisfying choice for replacement tires. The Yokos ride very quietly and the handling/braking difference can be felt. My Rogue has a completely different feel since replacing the Continental tires with the Avid TRZ.

philipa_240sx

Thanks for the update. Personally I'm torn as between the Avid TRZ or a light truck/SUV like the Geolander H/T-S.

lou from ny

hi all,i'm not a rogue owner yet, but am very close

i'm wondering if anyone has tried the goodyear assurance triple tred tires. i have them on my van and love them. quiet and long lasting. they hold the road well in all weather.

is there anywhere that lists comparisons to check which is higher rated?

mlmcgahee

lou from ny wrote:hi all,i'm not a rogue owner yet, but am very close

i'm wondering if anyone has tried the goodyear assurance triple tred tires. i have them on my van and love them. quiet and long lasting. they hold the road well in all weather.

is there anywhere that lists comparisons to check which is higher rated?
http://www.tirerack.com is the best place I've found to compare tires.

defiant324
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I just bought Yokohama Avid TRZ's a few days ago. So far, I can tell you they're alot quieter than the stock tires. And they really stick to the road. It hasn't rained since I got the new tires (of course - but it poured every day when I still had bald tires). I'll let you know what I think of them in the rain the first chance I get.

RogueGuy45
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

Goodyear Assurance triple tread.

mlmcgahee

RogueGuy45 wrote:Goodyear Assurance triple tread.
The Goodyear Assurance line are great tires, but the Yokohama Avid TRZ is one of the best set of tires I have ever owned.

roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

mlmcgahee wrote:
The Goodyear Assurance line are great tires, but the Yokohama Avid TRZ is one of the best set of tires I have ever owned.
Double ditto. Hardly any waer after 10k miles.

Been caught off guard in a couple of Summer snow/freezing rain storms and they did very well. Not as good as our Michelin X-Ice 2, but got us home without much sweat.

I don't think you can go wrongn with the TRZs.

HTH

psfod3
Car: 08 rogue

The Michelin Latitude Tour HP has a pretty good write up in Tire Rack. It is a V rated tire. Has anyone had any experiance with this tire.

Chas1
Car: 2009 ROGUE SLAWD

I checked out your towns average anual snowfall. It was 0.6". I don't think snow performance is an issue is it? What about Ice?

asur

mlmcgahee wrote:
Hey all. According to quite a few tirerack.com reviews, the trouble with the Avid TRZ is cracking on the side walls after X0,000 miles. X seems to vary for different people. Most seem to agree the tire is good for the first 10,000 or so. The HydroEdge gets a higher overall rating than the Harmony, but the latter sounds like a better tire, esp for the occasional snow & ice. The Assurance TripleTred is certainly well-reviewed.

mlmcgahee

asur wrote:
Hey all. According to quite a few tirerack.com reviews, the trouble with the Avid TRZ is cracking on the side walls after X0,000 miles. X seems to vary for different people. Most seem to agree the tire is good for the first 10,000 or so. The HydroEdge gets a higher overall rating than the Harmony, but the latter sounds like a better tire, esp for the occasional snow & ice. The Assurance TripleTred is certainly well-reviewed.
No problems here. I've had my TRZ's for almost a year now.

philipa_240sx

Hey, I have and idea....

I'll trade the Continentals (worn 60%) for just about any tire. Any takers?

I'm kidding of course!

I have to post some pics of my worn Conti's. They are a sight to behold!

Chas1
Car: 2009 ROGUE SLAWD

I just drove about 1200 miles through torrential rains. I had coated the windsheild with rainx prior to leaving and while I could barely see, the tires kept contact at 60 mph in an inch of water! Amazing performance I thought from the Continentals. They seem to stick real well on dry pavement too. Im not sure what everyone is complaining about.

kerrton

Goodyear Assurance is rated very well even in snow and ice, however they don't have the Severe Service Rating that Philip mentioned, to my knowledge the only all season tire that has this is the Nokian - these provide winter tire performance but you don't need to swap them out each year as they are rated for all seasons. It doesn't look like there is anything that can compete with the Nokians in this respect, they win hands down.

mlmcgahee

Well we had 6 inches of snow fall here in Georgia several days ago and my Avid TRZ tires were great. I had no problems what so ever getting around. I have had them on my Rogue for a year and a half now and they still handle like new.

rjchoops
Car: 08 Rogue SL AWD

I just got Goodyear Triple Treds 225/60/17 H rated and have been great in all this SNOW.

tickitout
Car: Nissan Rogue

After doing considerable research, I bought the 225/65R17 Yokohama Parada Spec-X and they are nothing less than terrific. I purchased them from Tire Rack and that went very smoothly. The tires are so much smoother and quieter than the OEM's ...

kerrton

For anyone who replaced or is thinking about replacing the stock Continentals before they're completely worn out, NICO does have a well visited classified section where you could put them up for sale, or any other parts you may have to sell.

Just a suggestion, here's the direct link:

zeromain?id=174

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

The issue with my stock Continentals are that they are pebble magnets. I have to use a end of a key to clean my tires from all these stuck pebbles which is not only a visual nuisance but I know flies into my underbody and into traffic behind me probably creating cracks in others people's windshields. I got a fews windshield dings from a truck with no mud flaps. I knew I would get hit as I was hoping to pass or fall behind it. Got my roof of my hood then my windshield. It looks like a vampire bite my hood and windshield. Luckily its not in my line of sight since its on the passenger site.

Ok, the point is. Any of these tires NOT pebble magnets?

thanks

philipa_240sx

casperfun wrote:Ok, the point is. Any of these tires NOT pebble magnets?
Mine aren't.... then again I have worn them nearly to the wear indicator/bars so there is no tread left!

Just wait... I'm going to pitch the Conti's this spring. Can't wait!

philipa_240sx

Update:

There are few more choices out there for those that are interested. The following is just a sampling, they're all-season tires BTW:

Yokohama:Size: 225/60R17 (Rogue SL)- Avid Touring-S- Avid TRZ- ENVigor (new for 2010), some sizes are not available yet though....Size: 215/60R16 (Rogue S)-Geolander HT-S

Toyo:Size: 225/60R17 (Rogue SL)- Versado LX- SpectrumSize: 215/60R16 (Rogue S)- Open Country HT

Dunlop:Size: 225/60R17 (Rogue SL)- SignatureSize: 215/60R16 (Rogue S)- Signature- Grandtrek ST20

Pirelli:Size: 225/60R17 (Rogue SL)- Pirelli P6Size: 215/60R16 (Rogue S)- Scorpion STR

General:Size: 225/60R17 (Rogue SL)- AltimaxSize: 215/60R16 (Rogue S)- Grabber HTS

Kumho:Size: 225/60R17 (Rogue SL)- Solus KH16, KL21 & KR21Size: 215/60R16 (Rogue S)- Solus KL21 & KR21

Return to “Rogue Forum”