All RB swap info

Discuss the RB20, RB25 and RB26 series engines.
Daunttless

I'm importing them. : ) I'm also stocking parts for them.

Also, I would have to agree WD, it was much better when a certain guy with the initials JB was there. : )

BlockHead

Hey I can kiss @$$ if I want to, and when I get the better deal on the swap and pay less you will see why kissing @$$ is good. And I read everything, I just think its rude to call someone a prick, you might not like how they operate but does that make them a prick??? And if you have a problem with there customer service, how about you mention something to someone that can do something about it instead of ******ing like a baby and trying to keep business from them. Its cool if you are trying to inform us of your bad experience, I appreciate that kinda stuff. But resorting to name calling is kinda childish.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

Geez man, you got me all teary eyed...lol. Out of curiosity, I was looking at your car and was wondering if you drift, road race or drag it. I only ask because the two different rims look like a drifting setup. All the locals over here do that.

If you do drift, how does the weight of the RB25 affect the controlled slide??

WD

bruinbear714

BlockHead wrote:Hey I can kiss @$$ if I want to, and when I get the better deal on the swap and pay less you will see why kissing @$$ is good. And I read everything, I just think its rude to call someone a prick, you might not like how they operate but does that make them a prick??? And if you have a problem with there customer service, how about you mention something to someone that can do something about it instead of ******ing like a baby and trying to keep business from them. Its cool if you are trying to inform us of your bad experience, I appreciate that kinda stuff. But resorting to name calling is kinda childish.

What? Your attacking me now that you just got your *** handed down to you? Did you not go and read what this post was orginally about yet?

I don't give a **** about uh. I only dealt with them through for a brief period over summer and that was it. End of story. I didn't like the way they conducted themselves, particularly with info and parts on the RB swap.

If you don't like my opinions, then feel free to ignore my posts.

Siddhartha
Car: cars computers women martial arts

Fighting over the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win, you're still a retard.

Guys, this is counter-productive to the dissemination of info about everyone's favorite car. Please stop.

WDRacing
Car: 95 240SX, 99 BMW 540i, 01 Chevy Express, 14 Ford Escape

LMAO...that is to bad about the rims. Oh and I meant autocross type racing. I know how bad the street racing has gotten back there. You can thank TF&F for that. Nothing like influencing a bunch of kids who can't drive yet to go out and run up and down a crouded street and kill each other. I chalk it up to gene pool cleansing.

I just hope my wife isn't hit by one of those Aholes on the highway when we get back.

WD

Daunttless

Put a roll cage in for her, and a 20mm Polish Autocanon. : )

BlockHead

Everyone is a winner in the special olympics, thats what the told me atleast.

Red Lightning

Hey, NightXCZ77 and Daunttless, if you guys did come out with a RB25DET complete swap kit, can i still retain a/c and ps? Is it doable if I have a engine lift or is a hoist required? Is custome drive shaft needed? I just read Night's other thread he says install will only cost $1000? does that include all the custom parts? (tranny mount, motor mounts etc.)

Seaney_55
Car: cars, my 240sx currently, now all that i need is an engine, and money, maybe a long term career....

ok, decided to drudge this up for a simple inquirey.. how much would an r33 driveshaft cost? just a guess but they don't come on the clip right?

still could someone elaborate on this statement"Anyway, on with the show, he said he used the skyline LSD rear end and a custom driveshaft that he pointed out wasn't necessary. He made a custom driveshaft because there was about 1/4-1/2" play in it."

i would just like to know what the 1/4-1/2" play was, does this mean that the driveshaft didn't meet exactly or did it mount wrong or what.. either way, thanks ahead of time :)

Seaney_55
Car: cars, my 240sx currently, now all that i need is an engine, and money, maybe a long term career....

ahhhhh, now i get it. i thought that the "play" was in reference to the r33 drive shaft.. still the r33 bolts up to the 240 right? the driveshaft isn't included in the clip is it? how much would it be?

sorry for the questions, can't find the post where this is all explained all of a sudden...

meggala

well we had similar issues when I swapped my car from manual to auto most nissans need some play in the driveshaft so there is some slack if it moves or jerksmeggala

Seaney_55

so would the r33 drive shaft be a bad idea?? i am somewhat knowledgeable about mechanics but i only know how to take stuff off and replace it... like the other day i replaced the waterpump on my 91 dakota. hell if i know if the waterpump is the best one i could buy (in fact i know it wasn't i passed on the lifetime warrenty waterpump) but i put it on.. sooo, i don't know what i should be investing in before i attempt to do this..

ps: night, i went to your website and looked at the swap you did.. just a quick question, it looks like you had the car on cinder blocks, now how did you raise the engine into the car? or did you lower the car on the engine??

once again, interested but need help.. sorry for the constant questions :sad

Setsuna
Car: My 200SX

Hi!

Will a RB engine fit into a european 200SX S13?I don´t know the difference between the 200SX with the CA and the 240SX with the KA.

Also would it be possible to get such a front clip here in europe?Or would someone from the states ship it to europe?

I´m realy interestet in such a swap, but i think its kinda hard to get all that stuff to europe, isn´t it?

What would be the better engine the RB25DET or the RB26DETT?

Cya

dreamsOfSkylines

you can get skylines in england/ireland which is much less shipping cost if you locate a supplier for the engine.

machinehead

heh, an orange 240sx!! you stole mah color!!!

im thinking of getting a 240sx and doin the rb25 swap, but the most i've ever fixed on a car is a fuel pump, alt, radiator, water pump, and 100's of stereo systems. i have all the tools, minus the engine hoist, and im not retarded, do ya think i could do it? i hear the hard part is just the wiring.

machinehead

haha, i hope so. i'm a broke *** and cant afford a shop ;)

Setsuna
Car: My 200SX

Nope thats not my car.

Night u have mail! :D

rb180sx

i want to do the swap but the biggest thing on my mind is how high the engine sits. will the extra 1 inch that you can lower it by using custom mounts make a difference in handling compared to using the r33 subframe? would using the 240 subframe and making your own mounts be a nightmare? thanks so much!

d240t2

Here is the thread where Night tried to "Call Out Unstable Hybrids". See for yourself. For the person who claimed that it didn't go over well just because the people on that site love us, you know that is wrong. Everybody is backing him up until we show up at the bottom of the 2nd page and respond to everything he said.(Edit: Link added below)

http://www.240sxforums.com/for...ber=2

As it is now, I still have yet to find a single thing that he actually corrected us on, just a lot of things he either a)misquoted us or b) can't actually prove that we are wrong, despite is claims. In the end, it was easy to see the entire thread for what it is worth. It was the new guy trying to make a name for himself by making the known, respected shop look bad.

So what is your problem with us? Let me know what the actual problems are, and I'll answer it.

Is your problem that we don't have an install kit? Well, we are working on that. We need to spend some time figuring out how much labor and cost of parts goes into our motor mount kits to figure out how much to charge for those.

Are you mad at us simply because we charge for a service that you can do yourself? Why? Do it yourself! We don't care if you do, and honestly, are happy to see more enthusiasts working on their own cars. That is where we got to where we are today, as enthusiasts working on our own cars.

So what do you guys want to know? What info are we hiding from you?

Dennis KalmanunStable Hybrids

Imissmyturbo
Car: Car's, Turbo's, sking

I am not a member of that forum. Can you fill me in on what the discusion was about? The way I look at it your shop's position is the swap can't be done without a bolt-in kit. Night has proven that it can be done without a bolt-in kit which makes it look like your shop is trying to make money off of misinformation.

d240t2

Can you find anywhere where we have said that you need a bolt-in kit? Obviously, we did it without a kit. We have never said that any kit is absolutely required, anywhere. The problem is...nobody actually checks for themselves on the things that people say about us by actually checking our website or checking with us directly.

If you do it without a kit, it puts the engine further forward than we like. It also makes the engine a little too high, hence the need for cutting the hood. R32 crossmembers do bolt in to S13s, but it gives you these problems. With our mounts and intake manifold, you don't need to cut the hood, which we think gives a much cleaner install. Also, with our intake manifold, it makes piping a lot cleaner and a bit more efficient when used with a front mount intercooler.

That discussion was 5 pages long. If you want to know what it all was about, I suggest you join those forums, as it only takes 2 minutes. I joined these forums this morning because of this thread, and it only took me 2 minutes. I don't think I can properly summarize that thread in a few lines here, but I'll give a brief overview. It was a similar thread to this one, initially, posted by Night, clearly with the intentions of bashing unStable Hybrids. We came to the thread on page 2, after people had been agreeing with Night for 2 pages, and responded to every point he made. The discussion continued, and, in the end, I can see no points made that we left unanswered.

Dennis KalmanunStable Hybrids

rb180sx

so what is the cost of a "kit", if you did/do sell them? im just trying to gather all the info that i can!

nightxcz77, is the intake manifold for 700 the greddy one or a custom one?

and if one were to swap in an rb26 crankshaft would you also need the rods or pistons from the 26? lastly how much would a metal headgasket cost, to lower the CR? i imagine the 9:1 is really a limiting factor for ultimate potential in the rb25?

im just trying to figure out whats more practical, rebuilding an rb25 for high power levels or just using the rb26.

im so confused about what motor to use!

d240t2

We don't have full pricing on the kit yet...expect it to be on the website ASAP. We are going to sit down on Saturday and finalize some pricing. We have previously offered wiring service...we'll just add a motor mount/intake manifold kit to the list...and if you want just one or the other, that is fine.

Pricing on our custom plenum is available on our website...I am not sure of the rules here, so I won't attempt to post it. http://www.unstable-hybrids.com

Dennis

Imissmyturbo

Can you answer an question reguarding the wiring for the swap? I am just wonder how you go about setting up the wiring? I know you use the engine harness but how does this connect to the rest of the stock 240's wiring?

d240t2

Check out the wiring info on the install FAQ's of http://www.srswap.com That'll give you some wire colors you need for the KA harness...and help you see what types of wires you need to splice.

Basically, you need to figure out which wires are the tach, speedo, ignition, water temp, fuel pump relay, etc. and splice those wires from the RB engine harness into the KA chassis harness.

Good luck,

Dennis

osofast240

Quote »

The RB swap is easy, we just lack companys that are importing the engines and parts.

WD [/quote] most rb26 products were made here firstcarillo makes rods for JUN and GReddyJE pistons makes pistons for JUN and greddy

do some research

i can get rb26 engines for 4000rb25 for 3000+ shipping

Imissmyturbo

Just thought of another issue and that is the tach. How do you make it work with a 6 cyl engine? I heard that somone makes a "curciut board" or an inline module to make it work with the stock KA tach.

osofast240

StephenB wrote:I honestly would highly suggest going iwth the RB25, it will cost you half as much, if you want a direct quote, go ahead and email me, that way ill have that as a reminder to check on tuesday (leaving tommorrow morning and wont be back til monday night, so thats when ill have to do it).
why does the rb25 cost half as much as the rb26? we done 2 2jz-gte swaps into a s14 240sx one full street and one full race the labor is not too much more than an sr20 swap. your best bet is to have a chassis shop mount the engine with custom engine mounts and use a rb25 or z32 tranny. rb25 engines go for 3000, rb26 go for 4000.

d240t2

Or you can just swap in the RB tach...which will take some work to make look right.

Dennis

Return to “RB20DET / RB25DET / RB26DETT Forum”