All-Mode 4wd -- Auto Option

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
KoukiS14
Car: 2005 G35x - Lakeshore Slate / Stone

Just a quick question I have forgotten to ask. Is it considered bad to drive with auto on for extended periods of time?The reason I ask is that when I engaged it at 75 mph in semi-dry conditions, I could feel a noticeable vibration through my left foot as it was resting on the dead pedal.

This is pretty much the same sensation I get when the vehicle is locked in 4wd.

My understanding is that I shouldn't be feeling this because the diff isn't locked and no power is going to the front. Am I incorrect? I heard somewhere that 6% is ALWAYS going to the front -- this would explain it, but I haven't been able to confirm.

It's not an uncomfortable "Oh crap there's some strange vibration" -- it's more of a side-effect, at least from my understanding, of having power running through another diff.

The QX4 is a 99.5 with 63k miles -- I haven't changed the fluids yet, in case this is relevant. I feel that if a fluid change corrected this, it still doesn't answer my question -- would likely just hide the evidence.

Thanks

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

You should only use 2wd in any dry conditions... any 4wd modes (including auto) in the dry can hurt the transfer case (especially in turns, where one side of tires will rotate more than the other side of tires, causing binding in the t-case The bare minimum (for conditions) to use AUTO should be in the pouring rain...

KoukiS14

Well I don't typically use it in the dry at all. . so does this mean that there IS power running to the front when it's engaged or not? Does it require wheel slippage to send power?

Since it's essentially Attesa ET-S, and many Nissans have this enabled full time, would this allow it to be ran safely in any condition?

As it is now, again, I only would typically run it in rain or semi-slick conditions

KoukiS14

The bit about 100% rear to 50/50 is what throws me I guess. . . I'm just trying to learn every nuance of my new vehicle. . I spent the last 7 years nitpicking the 240sx

New Pathfinder debuts All-Mode 4WD System

Proving that motorsport does improve the breed, the All-Mode 4WD system used by Nissan in the Series 2 Pathfinder is a derivative of the ATTESA E-TS 4WD technology first seen in the high performance Skyline GT-R coupe road and race cars...

Pathfinder's All-Mode 4WD system was developed having regard for the wide range of driving environments in which recreational 4WD vehicles are used.

When set in the Auto setting, the All-Mode 4WD system automatically distributes torque between 100 per cent through the rear wheels to 50:50 front/rear when traction is difficult.

In the Auto setting, front torque distribution varies with:# Difference between front and rear propeller shaft speeds;# Throttle opening angle;# Rate of vehicle acceleration;# Braking force;# ABS operation; and# Road speed.

Torque distribution is via a hydraulically operated multi-plate clutch and in the Auto setting, the maximum split is 50:50 front/rear which is the same as the 4WD High manual setting.

fueler
Car: 2 Nissans, 2 BMW's

Right. The computer is the same as in the Skyline but i'm pretty sure the transfer case is different.

KoukiS14

fueler wrote:Right. The computer is the same as in the Skyline but i'm pretty sure the transfer case is different.
Well that does 'splain a lot. . But if no power is running to the front, I don't know where the binding could come in at.

In all honesty though. . less chance for wear and tear on what seems like it could be an expensive system, the better

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”