All Engine mods

Information on the naturally-aspirated KA24E and KA24DE engines.
YochTown240

Alright so what all engine mods would be the best bang for the buck. I only have intake been workin on little problems along the way that slowed down my performance work but now that i can what SHOULD i get??? I have the KA24E and i was thinkin as posted b4 higher compression pistons, along with a new cam, header and exhaust eventually but what else could i do to add some good HP??? Also try to give some estimates on power gains and if u mention any parts if u could like give recamendations on brands and stuff. THANKS FOLKS!

trpower7

Sorry to reply so negatively, but we have discussed this ad nauseum. Here is the breakdown.

1) The most you can realistically yield out of the KA424E without carbs and alot of money and internal work ($3000 or more) is about 220 HP. While this is a fair amount, it requires just as much money as it would to.......

2) GO TURBO!!! Go read the TurboKA, CA18DET, and SR20DET forums for all the information on that. Here are the estimated cost

Good Turbo Kit and Internal Work : $5000 (est. 400+ HP with reliatility issues)CA18DET (stock) and swap: $2500-2800 (175 HP immediately, but turbo is so upgradeable)SR20DET (stock) and swap: $4500 (205 HP, also turbo, but has aluminum block unlike CA's iron)

AunVoh

when did everyone start hating the SR? i mean i can't go thru any of these forums without seeing something about how the SR isn't as good as the CA...

trpower7

I'd say Paul made a really good case for it, and the fact that 240 owners kind of like to be different, and because the SR swap has become so commonplace that even the honda morons can talk "sr motor" we feel the need to change. I like the CA beacuse I come from the Supra world and really like the iron block, I'm scared of aluminum. If i can cut it with a pocketknife I don't like it taking that kind of pressure. Of course we are all holding our breath to see how Paul's CA18 turns out after all..........

Daunttless

I don't think negatively of the SR20, I try to point out that each has its strengths and weaknesses. : ) They really are both great motors, and it just depends on how you want to do things. Paul is really the only SR Hater here. : )

AunVoh

but if you have a problem with Alum blocks then why wouldnt you do a kaT? theres no way to make up for the TQ you'd get out of the turbo KA as to the tq of the 1.8 liter CA.

1dollar240

I agree with AunVoh- There is no replacement for displacement!Whoa, sorry, had a little relapse into my muscle car phase.

C-Kwik
Car: 2013 Chevy Volt, 1991 Honda CRX DX

Daunttless wrote:I don't think negatively of the SR20, I try to point out that each has its strengths and weaknesses. : ) They really are both great motors, and it just depends on how you want to do things. Paul is really the only SR Hater here. : )
Sure there is. It's called RPM. A stock KA produces about 165 lb-ft of torque at 4500 RPM(Rounded off). If we assumed it was in a car that had a 1st gear overall ratio of 8:1, then it would produce 1320 lb-ft of torque at 562 Wheel RPM. Now take a motor that peaks at 7000 RPM, and divide 562 into it. This gives you a gear ratio of about 12.5:1. and to make 1320 lb-ft of torque at this gear requires 106 lb-ft of torque. Now imagine, VTEC integras put out more than this across a relatively broad power band all the way up to 8000 RPM. No wonder they make so much HP. Any high revving motor has similar effects, depending on the amount of torque it can put out.

Now only if Nissan will come out with a 2.5L QR25VE "VTEC" and shut the Honda boys up. :pface

Daunttless

I don't know why you quoted me, and so I don't know how to respond. : )

JNM240
Car: 90 Coupe, 90 Hatch (CA18DET)

Aside from beefing up the internals, you are on the right path to N/A horsepower. I would rather go N/A for one reason: i cant afford to plop down the 3-5K for either a turbo kit or the engine swap. With N/A, you can keep adding stuff as you go. Intake and exhaust are a good place to start. Chose your camshaft carefully: i spent the last 8 months building my engine and electronics around my Nismo R4 street cam. But the result is great power! Jim Wolf and Gude (Bullfrog) both make camshafts for the SOHC, and both are much more streetable than the Nismo. Ignition box should help you burn the gas efficiently. ECU upgrade (i have yet to do that) would remap your ignition and fuel curves. With the power you would definately want to beef up your clutch, although do like i did: run it till it burned out. Higher compression pistons would be awesome, but thats a lot of money and time to tear the engine apart. But thats only my opinion. :icesangel

dorifkin

C-Kwik wrote:
Now only if Nissan will come out with a 2.5L QR25VE "VTEC" and shut the Honda boys up. :pface
I think everyone will agree that you are posting in the wrong thread; and by the way Nissan does have it's own version of "VTEC" on the QR called Variable Valve Timing.

C-Kwik

Daunttless wrote:I don't know why you quoted me, and so I don't know how to respond. : )
I actually meant to quote 1Dollar240. Not sure what happened there...

C-Kwik

dorifkin wrote:
I think everyone will agree that you are posting in the wrong thread; and by the way Nissan does have it's own version of "VTEC" on the QR called Variable Valve Timing.
VTEC is not the sameas VVT. VTEC changes lift aswell as timing. VVT Only changes timing.

sheadee240

C-Kwik wrote:
VTEC is not the sameas VVT. VTEC changes lift aswell as timing. VVT Only changes timing.
VTEC is great, but I'd rather have rear wheel drive

C-Kwik

sheadee240 wrote:
S2000...

S13Fastback
Car: guitars,cars,reading,and my girl.

NSX...

InstantRice

ok lets recap for the folks at home, weve gone from n/a mods, to turbo, to sr hater-ade, to qr vvt/honda hate, to rwd and now we are naming vtec rwd hondas.

Someone had to recap(postwhore) might as well be me

sheadee240

The S2000 and the NSX are freaken awesome, but I can't afford 'em so they suck

Oh sorry I'm off the subject

So do the cams, intake, cat back, bored throttle body, and an ecu upgrade (computer chip) After telling the Jim wolf guy about your cams, intake, cat back, and bored throttle body, so you can get the computer properly tuned

BAM!!!

Then start saving for brakes and suspension
C-Kwik wrote:
S2000...

MikeMichaelWho

amen c qik

flip240

NSX and S2000 are small and expensive, meaning you can't afford a place to live and can't fit your things and your 10 other friends in your car, so i agree, they do suck.

From my experience, I thought honda engines put out their better torque range when the VTEC kicked in. Otherwise, the non-vtec cams are pretty lame, like the power coming out of a inline-3 geo...

KA24 all the way babeee!!

flip240

oh wait, this is about all motor...

well (many mentioned above) intake, throttle body work (or even have individual throttle bodies fabed), cams, port and polish intake\exhaust\head, have crank machined (or new crank but that gets iffy), headers, exhaust, ecu, and that thing that lets you slightly adjust the fuel....er...thingy....magigy............

Xero

flip240 wrote:throttle body work (or even have individual throttle bodies fabed),
That is something I always wanted to know, how would you go about getting indivual throttle bodies?

MikeMichaelWho

Well Xero, you could buy them from Toda if you drove a honda. They make a kit where you have a throttle body for each intake runner. Whats that.... you need to fab them?...... anyone who has ever done anykind of anything to their car knows that cusom fabrication doesn't work, less doesn't work and more waste of your time because you don't know what you are doing. You are not an engineer, and there is a reason for that.

M_LAVER
Car: Anything mechanical

sheadee240 wrote:
I resemblem that remark. But I have lately gain a rather large interest in these wonderful REAR WHEEL DRIVE 240sx/s13.Now I just need to find a 95' s14/240sx coupe for me to play with, well after I finish my girlfriends paintball marker.

Nismo_Freak
Car: 89 240SX

VTEC + Torque = NSXNSX > S2000 > ITR > CTR

12second240

Add a CAI new air filter go k&n add hotshot headers, full catback exhaust, change the cams, add a short shifter, change the flywheel and clutch, but really go turbo if you have $$$

Mike09

don't go turbo in the ka24e engine because the compression is to high. go sr20 with an upgraded turbo. or NOS

TrunkMonkey
Car: 2000 lincoln navigator

Mike09 wrote:don't go turbo in the ka24e engine because the compression is to high.
people turbocharge KA24DEs with 9.5:1 compression, so why would a KA24E with 8.6:1 or 9.1:1 be too high?

WAbernethy

Yeah I always heard that the SOHC was better suited for turboing b/c of it's lower compression ratio. Besides, it's easy to lower compression. Thicker head gaskets, dremel the head a bit.

SpeedingMonk
Car: drifting, nissans, and keeping all other cars behind me

ok sr20det will NEVER tuch the inside of my engine bay. compromise 4/10 a leater for a turbo 2 ? NOPE. The KA has a totaly better power curve. what u need to do is increase low end tourk not hi end hourse power do u readline ur car? if not u wont see squat for in increase going hi-end hp. TOURK TOURK TOURK a ka24de well beat a sr20det off the line 160 tourk @ 4400 rpm alll the way to 6900rpm, and honda...... geeze whats wroung w/ u guyz VTEC / SHMEETEC it still sux cuz all hondas suck u cant turn a hoe into a house wife can u? NO so an ECONOMEY CAR is just that nuthing better. if u wanna talk ballz go buy a brand new s2000 or nsx and than give me HALF of what u payed an ill smoke u too

u want more power? over bore the 2.4 to 2.6 or more if possable leave the stock crank, get rods and higher compresson pistons to fit the 2.6+:D peace guyz

Return to “KA24E / KA24DE Forum”