Alignment Specs

Nissan dominates the drift scene - Always has, always will.
POS VETT
Car: 1995 Lexus LS400, 1995 Nissan 240SX SE, 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

I'm wondering what kind of alignment specs that can be used as starting point for drifting. My '95 still has close to OE specs and it's not hard to drift it, although I still need to learn how to maintain it longer.

So, zero toes front and back, would they help ? -2.5 degree front camber enough ? How about rear, -1 to -1.5 degree ? Do I really need to make the rear so loose ?

Thanks.

Nunook

is it a daily driver?If it is then i would just leave the stock specs. I guess u could put a little more neg. camber up front without much bad effects, but the more u put the faster ur tires will wear out. the inside atleast.

BuudWeizErr

If you are just learning, don't worry about alignment specs. just zero the toe and do just marginal negative camber. There are pros who don't use as much camber as you're thinking about. I wouldn't do more than -0.5 camber.

when you're learning, the limiting factor is definitely not your alignment settings.

if you need help keeping the slide longer...-enter faster-clutch kick midslide

sixxdeuce
Car: 93 rx7, G35coupe 6mt

yeah, once you get a better feel for the car while drifting you will better know what you want to run. I use -2.8 front and -2 rear camber because i am limited to small tires due to clearance and rubbing issues and i prefer to run slightly less grippy tires with more camber instead of more expensive high grip tires and normal camber. .5 toe in front and .5 toe out rear and +7.5 caster.

POS VETT

Yes, it is a daily driver, but I'm not afraid of a lot of negative camber especially in the front. I used to have a '94 VW Golf with -2.5deg camber in the front and the front tires wore nicely even

The kicker is toe. Other than zero, toe spells dragging the tires sideways and when coupled with tons of negative camber, it will worsen tire wear.
Nunook wrote:is it a daily driver?If it is then i would just leave the stock specs. I guess u could put a little more neg. camber up front without much bad effects, but the more u put the faster ur tires will wear out. the inside atleast.
Modified by POS VETT at 4:19 PM 12/27/2004

POS VETT

-0.5 degree won't do much, AFAIK.

I have -1.75 deg (front) on my Z06 and it still understeers, granted that its setup is for autox.

Is there any other way than a clutch kick midslide ? I guess the engine doesn't have enough torque to break loose the tires.
ChunkiDori wrote:If you are just learning, don't worry about alignment specs. just zero the toe and do just marginal negative camber. There are pros who don't use as much camber as you're thinking about. I wouldn't do more than -0.5 camber.

when you're learning, the limiting factor is definitely not your alignment settings.

if you need help keeping the slide longer...-enter faster-clutch kick midslide
Modified by POS VETT at 4:21 PM 12/27/2004

POS VETT

Those are major camber adjustments. My VW Golf could be adjusted up to -3.5 degrees (on stock bolts/ball joints no less) in the front and I did not dare to go beyond -2.5 degrees. The front wheels look like they were going to fall sideways.

Toe out in the rear will make a tail happy car. I'll see if it's feasible to run -0.5 degrees toe in the rear. I tend to run zero toes front and rear.

I don't think my front caster is adjustable, but it will be great to be able to run tons of front caster (ala Mercedes Benz) and keep the negative camber to minimal.
sixxdeuce wrote:yeah, once you get a better feel for the car while drifting you will better know what you want to run. I use -2.8 front and -2 rear camber because i am limited to small tires due to clearance and rubbing issues and i prefer to run slightly less grippy tires with more camber instead of more expensive high grip tires and normal camber. .5 toe in front and .5 toe out rear and +7.5 caster.

sixxdeuce

POS VETT wrote:Those are major camber adjustments. My VW Golf could be adjusted up to -3.5 degrees (on stock bolts/ball joints no less) in the front and I did not dare to go beyond -2.5 degrees. The front wheels look like they were going to fall sideways.

Toe out in the rear will make a tail happy car. I'll see if it's feasible to run -0.5 degrees toe in the rear. I tend to run zero toes front and rear.

I don't think my front caster is adjustable, but it will be great to be able to run tons of front caster (ala Mercedes Benz) and keep the negative camber to minimal.
Well, I wasnt referring to a vw golf But yeah, you need adjustable tc rods for caster. And you dont need so much camber, its all about preference and what your wheel and tire setup will allow. I like the toe out in the rear for now because i can use the extra help keeping my vlsd out, ill probably zero it out when i get a 2way.

gogg
Car: 89 240sx silver hatch (burrito)

-1 camber is stock

POS VETT

Sorry, I wasn't trying to compare. Just saying that my 240 can probably adjusted that far since it has KTS coilovers which includes camber plates.

TC rods = tension rods ? If so, I already have SPL ones. That toe out in the rear maybe the ticket since I still run the stock VLS also.
sixxdeuce wrote:
Well, I wasnt referring to a vw golf But yeah, you need adjustable tc rods for caster. And you dont need so much camber, its all about preference and what your wheel and tire setup will allow. I like the toe out in the rear for now because i can use the extra help keeping my vlsd out, ill probably zero it out when i get a 2way.

sixxdeuce

yep, if you have spl tension rods then you can adjust your caster.

Return to “Nissan Drift Forum”