Alignment question

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
reggiegsd
Car: '94 Q, '73 240Z

I am replacing tires soon and the 94 Q is due for an alignment.

Are there any parts such a shims or plugs that I should find before hand to take with me? If you hand them the right parts they are more likely to do the job right. At least that's my assumption.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

Unfortunately the Q doesn't provide for a lot of adjustment in the alignment. If any parts are needed, they'll most likely be stock parts to replace worn ones, like the upper links, sway bar bushings, tension rods, etc. Most isn't cheap. If they say you need new parts, ask them if you can bring it back later, parts in hand. It shouldn't be too much labor just to survey--from the numbers you can figure out what needs to be replaced. Whatever can be adjusted won't wear out, as far as I know. I'm thinking of the rear suspension in particular...make sure the alignment shop is familiar with the eccentric system used on the Q. It is a bit tricky to get it just right, and if they don't know what they're doing, they'll mess up the alignment and next time you WILL need to replace some parts. I was apalled when I took apart my rear suspension to find the eccentric washers force-threaded onto the keyway bolt.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Good idea to carry eccentric washers and 4 bolts/nuts just in case ----common problem of idiot alignment shops.Setting the rear correctly toe is the only way to get a zero thrust angle and not have the car drift off the road.

Very few alignment shops can deal with a Q correctly even with $1500 worth of new parts! The Lexus is more forgiving because it doesn't use automatic extra rear toe in on deceleration.Worn parts [in the rear directional bushings] means the toe changes from the rack to road under the forces associated with moving the car forward.

DAEDALUS
Car: 1990 Q45

The manual states that all suspension bolts in rubber components should be final-torqued while fully loaded by the car's weight. I understand why, but this is pretty difficult for me as I do not yet have a lift. My solution has been to measure the wheel hub height relative to the body before disassembly, and then to raise the axle housing with a jack to meet the measured height during reassembly, and then tightening the bolts. Seems to me this is at least as good a procedure, but I just want to be sure I'm not missing something. Thanks.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”