AIV system - gurgling noise

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
LetsGo
Car: 1990 300ZX NA 2+2

I have the gurgling noise from the front passenger area. After searching a bit, it sounds as if it may be the AIV system (My Z is a 90'). I don't want to remove the system. I read that you can simply drill a hole in the bottom of the large u-shape hose for water to drain, and that will take care of it. What I couldn't find was whether this was a permanent fix, with no downsides, or whether it was only temporary until the system was removed entirely and things properly capped off. Does anyone know for certain whether you can simply drill the hole in the hose and leave it that way permanently? Without any other problems or concerns?

Woodnutz78
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT MT

I had the gurgling, and just removed the system altogether. I figured if I'm going through the trouble of getting to it, I might as well take it out completely. I did this along with a couple other deletes and my timing belt change... yet to finish that. Any decrease in vacuum plumbing is a decrease in potential leaks. That being said, if you're opting to leave the system in, I don't believe there's any downside to just leaving the open hole. I believe there's testimony of plenty of people doing this with no notable effect.

Of course, if you have concern about it, you can just disconnect the hose, dump the water out, and reconnect it. You'll just need to be prepared do it again at some point.

LetsGo

THANK YOU!!

LetsGo

THANK YOU!!

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”