Airbags falling apart due to age

ONLY for ADVANCED technical discussion about the 240sx!
Sean-_1
Car: 350z 240sx

I went out to my 1995 240sx a couple weeks ago and the airbag looked like an accordion, with the cover hanging down and the airbag exposed. The black hosing of the bag had rotted away leading to the breakdown. I have been unable to obtain a replacement bag, and judging by the many airbag covers and hollow steering wheels available on line, it looks like the issue is rampant. It starts with bumps forming in the cover and ends with having to replace the wheel with something aftermarket

I was wondering if a steering wheel from a 350Z would fit , allowing an airbag to still be in the system. Has anyone checked? I do not want to pull off my 350's wheel and test it on the 240, but I would be willing to buy a used 350 wheel if it would fir on the 240 spline.

I would also be happy to hear what remedy you folks have decided on that allowed you to keep an airbag for the driver.

BurnsAuto90
Car: 1990 240sx
1991 240sx

You wouldn't really want to start mixing airbags from different vehicles, as you don't really know how they would react in an accident. Manufacturers tend to design SRS systems for each individual car, where all the parts (front and side sensors, airbag module, and the airbags themselves) are all designed to work as a unit. Mixing and matching one piece for another without considering all that goes into safety restraint systems could lead to some unforeseen incident in a collision. If the insurance company ever got word somehow, they wouldn't touch the claim with a 10 foot pole.

Tracking down another factory airbag that is in better condition is going to be a bit tough, so you may have to do some digging if you want to retain the SRS functionality. If that isn't high on your list of priorities, there are plenty of work arounds to have the airbag light turned off when you switch to an aftermarket steering wheel, so again, just a bit of digging on your end.

Hope this helped :)

Sean-_1

I have seen s15 and other Nissan steering wheels used on S14's, if I knew the spline would match up I would try the 350 wheel on it. The main thing with the airbag is if it's a single or duel stage. Worst case scenario, the S14 may be a single stage, and would fail to operate the second stage of the 350 bag, providing some protection but not the full amount.

Outside of that, I am open to suggestions for after market wheels or adapters that fir the 240 without cutting away bits or losing a functioning horn.

BurnsAuto90
Car: 1990 240sx
1991 240sx

I did a little searching, found this

so it is possible for the Z33 wheel to be used on the s14.

Sean-_1

ok, I will do a reverse image search and see if I can find the details, thank you

Return to “240SX Technical Forum”