Airbag Light Flashing on 2016 Infiniti QX80

A forum for the Nissan Armada, Infiniti QX56, and beginning in 2014, the Infiniti QX80
mgro
Car: 2016 Infiniti QX80

I bought a used 2016 Infiniti QX80 in Oct 2020. When I test drove it, the airbag light was flashing. The dealer 'reflashed' the module, and the light went off for about 3 months.
About a month ago, I pulled out the all-weather floor mats to clean them. After replacing them, and starting up the car, the airbag light came back on. I have asked the dealer several times if this could be related - and they are insistent it would not be related - but I'm including here, b/c the timing seems odd.
I have tried 'resetting' the light several times. Either I'm doing it wrong, or there really is an issue - because it comes on every time I start the car.
The dealer is telling me that the driver side curtain airbag is the culprit and needs replaced - $2300 (part # K85P1-5ZA0A).
But that once they replace that - if it's still broken, they'll replace the wire harness (another $2300)
If still broken, will replace the airbag module itself (unknown cost)

Questions:
1) Any chance moving the floor mats around might have loosened a wire or something that I can try?
2) Does it seem related to the original 'reflashing' issue?
3) Is this price outrageous for this? Can other non-dealers repair this? I've reached out to a Nissan dealer, but haven't heard back yet.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

There are certain things an N/I dealer simply can't do for you because of legal considerations, and they have to go "by the book" for airbag diagnosis, period. Nissan doesn't actually publish diagnosis info, the DTC's in the SRS section will basically just say, "replace A, replace B, replace C". That's lawyers, but they're stuck with that.

Here's what you can do yourself to diagnose and maybe repair the issue (which is very likely wiring). WARNING: DISCONNECT THE BATTERY NEGATIVE TERMINAL BEFORE PERFORMING ANY OF THIS:

1) Disconnect the suspect airbag connector and bridge the connector contacts with a 2 ohm, 1/4 watt resistor. Place some tape over it so you can drive around that way if necessary. Reconnect the battery and:
a) if the DTC was "current", scan the ACU and see if it will erase. If so, the bag is bad.
b) if the DTC was "past", erase it and drive around for awhile to see if it stays erased. If it doesn't recur, the bag is bad.

2) If the bag is vindicated, access the ACU and bag connectors and check the pin-fits using a safety pin of 0.024~0.026" diameter. The pin should palpably "drag" on the spring contacts when inserted. If not, replace the bad pin or the entire pigtail.

3) If pin-fits are good, ohm the wires between the ACU and bag. Continuity should be excellent end-to-end, nothing above 0.5 ohm is acceptable. With both ends disconnected, you should also see infinity:
a) between the two wires
b) between each wire and 12V power
c) between each wire and ground

4) If you don't find any obvious issues, then you probably have a partial break somewhere in the wiring between the bag and ACU that's separating when the car is driven. The best solution is simply to wire around the problem by clipping the old wires at both ends and routing brand new ones on the outside of the harness. Use "solder shrink" connectors of the right size, don't use regular butt connectors and don't use hand-soldering unless you're very good at it. Solder "gloms" can have enough innate capacitance to cause additional problems.

Hope this helps you.

mgro
Car: 2016 Infiniti QX80

This is extremely helpful, but unfortunately way above my head. I'll try to find someone smarter than me, as I don't even know where the airbag connector is connected at...

Return to “Armada Forum / QX56 Forum / QX80 Forum”