Airbag lamp stays ON (it was blinking tlll I reset)

General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
RobinBuddi
Car: 1993 Nissan Altima GLX

Can anyone tell me what I can do to cure my Airbag lamp (stays ON)? This is my first foreign car ever, as I have always been a GM fan. Well, got the car for $600 with 170K miles on it. Would like to know as much as possible bout caring for this car and preventitive maintenance.

Want to hook up aftermarket stereo, however, when I looked at the wiring I'd have to decipher, ..I got a little spooked. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a million!!!!
Robin

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

Going to move this to altima general so it can get some more traffic. I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm sure someone does. Welcome to NiCO!

downedzephyr
Car: 09 Altima Coupe 3.5se

I just had a pioneer headunit installed to replace my OEM one and yes, my airbag light was on and flashing. Just took it back to the shop today and the guy just did a quick reprogram of the computer. The light came on because they disconnected the battery during the install and forgot to reprogram the car's computer.

DrewH
Car: 2006 Altima SE R
2012 G37X

Make sure your passenger side airbag sensor light in the center column is plugged in and try this....

If you have the airbag light, it will show steady for a few seconds (the manual says 7 secs) after you turn the key from off to on (but not start) and then start to flash. Here is how to reset it:

1. Turn the key from off to on.

2. Watch the airbag light closely. It will stay on for a few secs. and then as soon as it blinks off (the start of the flashing), turn the key off instantly.

3. Count to 5 (1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi . . . .)

4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times until you have done the cycle three times.

5. Now turn the key on and watch the light. It will start blinking in a different, slower manner. This is diagnostic mode. You can watch this for a little while, no hurry.

6. Now turn the key off again, Count to 5 like in step 3 again, and turn back on. If the procedure worked, the airbag light will not be flashing.

If it does not work the first time, just repeat the steps again

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”