Air suspension for vert *pics*

The Internet's ONLY forum for 240sx convertible information and the official home of the 240sx Convertible Club of America!
Judas
Car: 240sx convertible air ride / Toyota Supra MKIV TT manual

Hi guys, I´d like to show you my latest upgrade

Some more pics: http://s137.photobucket.com/al...vert/ http://s137.photobucket.com/al...ride/

Some information about the suspension : http://www.d2racingsport.com/air_suspension.htm

-RJ-
Car: S13 Convertible, 99 Frontier, 03 Sportage, 96 Protege

thats pretty sweet especailly for bumps, how do they ride

wmdavis007
Car: 1992 240SX Convertible
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0L

Very nice. I've always liked air suspensions. How much did the kit cost? Which kit did you get?

TIMELSS_vert

dude, those are ill! the fact that the have lower collars like coilovers is so sweet, you need to make it where you can't drive when you're aired out!!! Also, where did you order through? It's quite apparent that you are not in the States, and since a quick Google couldn't find anything, I am quite curious.
Modified by TIMELSS_vert at 7:53 AM 9/25/2008

94_240sx
Car: 94_240SX

Sweet!First bagged 240 vert in history??? Maybe?

TIMELSS_vert

i dunno, do you count the pink autech one that was on hydrolics? lol

slip69
Car: 94 240sx convertible, 07 Dodge Charger

thats awesome!! but I'm also curious about what the ride quality is like on airbags. A frined told me that cars on air suspensions are a little harder to control in tight turns, is this true??

TIMELSS_vert

these are not the hot rod / mini truck / traditional air ride setup. these look to have been developed with a shock absorber or dampener that work together with the bag. There is a pretty well known person in Japan with the screen name of YokotaS13 who pioneered a system like this when he saw that a UAS Bag fit over an S13 coilover strut. You retain all of the dampening qualities while the adjustable bag replaces the springs.

So long story short, your ride height / inflation will determine what would be considered your spring rate, but that would "technically" be the only difference.

In the long run, it all depends on how much time / effort / money D2 put into R&D, and if you use the settings they recommend.

S15nS13vert
Car: 95 240sx with a s15 engine 6speed tranny, 94 S13.4 SKYLINE VERT and a 08 Lexus RX350

well the air tank says D2(they manufacture suspension stuff)... then maybe those people are making airbagsmaybe not to U.S. customers yet, until they get a patent...i dunno

TIMELSS_vert

^we know its made by D2, he linked directly to the product in his post. However, in that link, there are no prices listed, not even MSRP prices. And when you go on the Google hunt, nothing comes up, nor does it on Ebay.

You may be on to something about the patent, but who knows. All i know is that I FRICKIN WANT SOME!!!!

one thing I would like to know (aside from what has been stated already) is, what kind of options do you have for driving height? Is it basically, fill the bags until you are where you want to be?

Also, I sent an e-mail to D2 asking about them, hopefully i get a timely response.
Modified by TIMELSS_vert at 7:37 PM 9/25/2008

Judas

As you noticed, I´m not in states. As you can see in my signature, Finland Europe.

I bought this set from local dealer. (www.race.fi) It cost so much that I´m not sure if I want to tell you $2000 is pretty close. If you order 5 or 10 sets of those price is something like $400-500/each + shipping. this set is Basic.

Ride is nice, I love those. My previous set was Stance coil´s and it was too hard ride. This is much better than original, but softer than coil´s. It handles pretty good in corners. And I tested it on track, not so bad, but too soft.

Ride height is free, you just fill the bags as much you like. It Is set like that I can drive it if something happens, thats the reason it is not lower than it is

And there is an option, you can change airbags to springs whenever you want.

Modified by Judas at 1:05 AM 9/26/2008
Modified by Judas at 1:10 AM 9/26/2008

TIMELSS_vert

hmmm, thats some interesting information. I definitely have to wait till a US supplier gets them, because if some one from the states orders them at 1950 euros, we're gonna get shafted on the exchange rate. But maybe we should put together a GB on this if it can cut the price to a 1/4!!!

BigMACKenzie
Car: 1993 240sx convertible

for $2k I would rather get some coilovers, for $500 ballpark, I will push a nun down a flight of stairs to get that setup, its just too good a deal to pass on

TIMELSS_vert

I just e-mailed D2 USA about the product. I will post up when/if I get a response, and depending on that response, I will inquire about some type of group buy. It would be bank if we could get this done.

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

TIMELSS_vert wrote:I just e-mailed D2 USA about the product. I will post up when/if I get a response, and depending on that response, I will inquire about some type of group buy. It would be bank if we could get this done.
Let me know what you find out, I have a couple friends that I know that own/work at the biggest importer of D2 coilovers. So if you can't get it directly through D2 maybe they can set something up.

TIMELSS_vert

biggie wrote:Let me know what you find out, I have a couple friends that I know that own/work at the biggest importer of D2 coilovers. So if you can't get it directly through D2 maybe they can set something up.
Thats awesome man, this may be a good resource in case D2 isn't very keen on the prospect of a group buy situation.

So far, I have received a response from Jerry McGovem at D2 USA. The air suspension kits are available as "special order items" only. This means about a one month delivery period. No price was mentioned due to the lack of application in my first e-mail, but I have since responded, and as always, will keep you all informed.

TIMELSS_vert

OK, kits start at 2400 dollars to your door. If we had 5 interested parties, we would get 15% discount.

Judas, any info on how the hell you got the 75% discount? Thats the grind I need to be on.

Also, Biggie, if you think you could get them cheaper through your source, let us know!!!

biggie
Car: '16 Q70L/'14 Q60S Vert/'19 Armada/'09 FX35

TIMELSS_vert wrote:OK, kits start at 2400 dollars to your door. If we had 5 interested parties, we would get 15% discount.

Judas, any info on how the hell you got the 75% discount? Thats the grind I need to be on.

Also, Biggie, if you think you could get them cheaper through your source, let us know!!!
Actually, Jerry who you mentioned is one of the guys I know. So you are already in touch with him.

Influenced

if you had those collars adjusted all the way up with the bags fully deflated... wonder if you would be scraping frame?

either way, i am jealous and want a set!

madcowvert

Influenced wrote:if you had those collars adjusted all the way up with the bags fully deflated... wonder if you would be scraping frame?

either way, i am jealous and want a set!
my concern is more for when the bag is deflated if the back spacing is big enough to clear the wheels while driving at the desired lower hight? the last thing you want to happen is to be driving and a bag to pop because you tire was rubbing. Judas i love you wheels the compliment the vert very nicely and give that sweet look without the chrome baller lips . I was wondering what was the size and offset of your wheels.

and if you guy's can get a better price on the suspension count me in.

15% off MSRP for 5 people sounds like a b/s to me..
Judas wrote:If you order 5 or 10 sets of those price is something like $400-500/each + shipping. this set is Basic.
if i can pay $1000 shipped to my door consider then sold!!

240lookis
Car: 1990 240sx hatch

i've never seen this on a 240 before. looks pretty cool. as long as ride quality/handling is good, im down

Judas

As I said, bags full or empty, I can drive it, nothing scraping anywhere

Wheels are Ultralite Atec II 18". 8,5" ET35 with 15mm spacer in front and 9,5" ET35 20mm spacer in rear.

That 4-500$ is dealer price. Why I know this? I saw original dealers invoice by accidently +Shipping from china/taiwan whatever....

madcowvert

Judas wrote:As I said, bags full or empty, I can drive it, nothing scraping anywhere

Wheels are Ultralite Atec II 18". 8,5" ET35 with 15mm spacer in front and 9,5" ET35 20mm spacer in rear.

That 4-500$ is dealer price. Why I know this? I saw original dealers invoice by accidently +Shipping from china/taiwan whatever....
did you $ 400-500 euro or american? is it possible for you to buy it for us and just have it shipped to us?

on RACE.FI the suspension is 1950.90 € which is $2,803.54. so my questions is how did you get a group buy like that.

TIMELSS_vert

even at 500 euro, that price is atleast half of what D2 quoted me for a group buy of 5 units.

I was quite surprised when I checked my e-mail today to find a message from Nick at Ksport USA. Someone contacted him from "another company" about the air suspension stuff. Apparently, the kits from the "other company" are not DOT approved. Now, that really doesn't matter to me out side of availability and pricing. All of that aside, I'm in contact with Nick now, so when I hear from him, I'll update accordingly.

madcowvert

none of the suspension that is sold is DOT approved. thats why they all say "For Off Road Use ONLY!!! " lol there are many companies that make bolt on air ride kits for truck and trust me the only thing that sometimes is DOT approved are the air bags themselves. im wonder how mush just the suspension with the air bags by themselves would be? im sure that it would save you money one on shiping and you can buy all the valves compressors and tanks here.

are you saying that ksport is getting the same kind of kit?

TIMELSS_vert

from the vague message that Nick sent me, yes, it is the same kind of kit.

You can retro fit your own kit using Universal Air Suspension products. Their bags use a "bag over shock" design. This means all you have to do is remove the springs from the coil overs of your choice, dremel out a notch for the bag fitting in the perches and hook it all up. This is a technique that was pioneered by a very reputable member on here and on many other Nissan and VIP boards named "YokotaS13" If you go that route, you'll spend close to 1800 if you go with top notch, digital controls, compressors and what not. But you definitely have a lot more say in your setup, and will be cheaper, you just don't get the manufactured look.

Judas

madcowvert wrote:
did you $ 400-500 euro or american? is it possible for you to buy it for us and just have it shipped to us?

on RACE.FI the suspension is 1950.90 € which is $2,803.54. so my questions is how did you get a group buy like that.
I f remember correctly, it was US$. It was dealers price, not mine, I paid exactly 1560euros. I think Race.fi guys is getting little bit better prices than we are

And You have to count in that shipping by air, from asia to here, earths *******. It cost like 400euros to ship package like that (two big boxes) thats about $1000, then our customs want piece of the action, it takes ~28-29% of that, so we have like $1300, and shipping here in takes about $50, rest of it takes dealer

madcowvert

so if i gave you the money could you buy it for me at that price?

Judas

madcowvert wrote:so if i gave you the money could you buy it for me at that price?
You have to ask from Race.fi

madcowvert

Judas wrote:
You have to ask from Race.fi
do they speak english? if not i might need you to translate for me.

Return to “240SX Convertible Forum”