Air Intake

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
JeffinSC

What performance gains can be expected by upgrading the air intake on a 2004 Pathfinder? What types/brands are recomended? Are they difficult for a novice to install?

Onizuka
Car: 91 coupe w/s13 SR20DET 89 hatch w/s14 SR20DE

Air intakes are a very basic install. A simple K&N cone filter from pepboys will do nice or on top of that you can go all out and buy metal tubing to replace the stock plastic. My guesses are you could adapt a Z31 intake kit to fit your pathy with relative ease.

Jack44

It's probably worth 10 HP to go to a custom CAI...

REACTOR '03
Car: Off-roading, detailing, blowing stuff up!

Check this site out. It is one of the better ones that I have seen. It's what I am planning on putting in my '03. I think it's good for at least 6 extra horses. Also shows you how to install it so you know what you are getting into. There are a lot more things to do compared to a 3.3l on the older pathfinders but I think it will be worth it.

http://www.knfilterchargers.co...-1087

I think it looks a little cleaner than just having a cone filter just dangling there and the heat shield should prevent hot too much hot air from the engine bay being redirected into the intake. I also saw one on NOPI's web site by Weapon R. There are lots of choices. You can get a Jim Wolf pop-charger, but it does not have a heat shield or tubing that will help straighten out the Air Flow. The K&N charger replaces the accordian like hose between the filter and the throttle body, adds a heat shield and of course their Cone shaped filter. It's a little pricey at about $250 from what I have seen in my area, but it should be a good investment. My Paht only has 8k on it so I am only giving her the best. Still debating if I want to add an exhaust to get some more extra horses, but don't really want to void any warranties. I think between an exhaust and an intake one could probably get at least 10+ extra horses, but I don't think the intake by itself will get you there. I would love to be wrong abou that though.:icesangel R3

leeQX4
Car: 04 I35/03 G35

REACTOR '03 wrote:Check this site out. It is one of the better ones that I have seen. It's what I am planning on putting in my '03. I think it's good for at least 6 extra horses. Also shows you how to install it so you know what you are getting into. There are a lot more things to do compared to a 3.3l on the older pathfinders but I think it will be worth it.

http://www.knfilterchargers.co...-1087

I think it looks a little cleaner than just having a cone filter just dangling there and the heat shield should prevent hot too much hot air from the engine bay being redirected into the intake. I also saw one on NOPI's web site by Weapon R. There are lots of choices. You can get a Jim Wolf pop-charger, but it does not have a heat shield or tubing that will help straighten out the Air Flow. The K&N charger replaces the accordian like hose between the filter and the throttle body, adds a heat shield and of course their Cone shaped filter. It's a little pricey at about $250 from what I have seen in my area, but it should be a good investment. My Paht only has 8k on it so I am only giving her the best. Still debating if I want to add an exhaust to get some more extra horses, but don't really want to void any warranties. I think between an exhaust and an intake one could probably get at least 10+ extra horses, but I don't think the intake by itself will get you there. I would love to be wrong abou that though.:icesangel R3

Good find. I am going to replace my stillen Ram intake with the k&N AirCharger system. Seems like a better buy. I just wished i knew about this a year ago, before i bought the stillen one.

Thanks

usc45
Car: 2001 Mercedes W210 E55 AMG

this forum rocks! going by this thread (since i didn't think anyone made a cai for the pathy/qx4), i purchased the K&N aircharger kit #63-1087. funny, this part # is not in K&N's 2004 catalog. i called them up to make sure the part # was still valid and ordered it since we have an account with them at work. once installed, the throttle response is crisper and it feels like there's more power in the upper rpm ranges as well. installation is pretty straight forward, although in the instructions it tells you to do a few steps backwards :rolleyes but if you've done cai installs before, this should be a breeze. i can post some pics if anyone wants to see this cai installed. special thanks to reactor '03 for bringing this intake to my attention :ylsuper

larryt
Car: 2002 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4X4

Please post some pics if you've got them.

Does the K&N use all the stock connections that the stock box did?

Also, I called K&N a while back and they said they were in the process of getting the aircharger emissions-approved. Keep your receipt and they'll certify it when it happens.

leeQX4

usc45 wrote:this forum rocks! going by this thread (since i didn't think anyone made a cai for the pathy/qx4), i purchased the K&N aircharger kit #63-1087. funny, this part # is not in K&N's 2004 catalog. i called them up to make sure the part # was still valid and ordered it since we have an account with them at work. once installed, the throttle response is crisper and it feels like there's more power in the upper rpm ranges as well. installation is pretty straight forward, although in the instructions it tells you to do a few steps backwards :rolleyes but if you've done cai installs before, this should be a breeze. i can post some pics if anyone wants to see this cai installed. special thanks to reactor '03 for bringing this intake to my attention :ylsuper

Hey usc45, have you had a CAI in any of your previous cars? I am just wondering about the sound of the k&N system at WOT and upper rpms. I am looking/aiming for this particular sound that happens when the air traveling through the pipes. It should only happen at high rpms or full throttle. If you had a previous CAI you would know what i am talking about.

I just ordered my k&n aircharger and I want to know if the sound is good or do i go with larryt's find on the frankencar.

thanks

MidwayParts
Vendor
Car: 2011 Titan

I'm going to be checking out the Airaid Replacement Filter on my 99 Pathy. Ill let you guys know how it works. It seems like a great idea.

http://www.airaid.com/see.asp

:toilet

usc45

i had a dinan cf intake on my bmw before, and that sounded awsome. but the sound from the intake will vary from engine to engine. cam profiles, compression, and basically the whole architecture of the engine will dictate what sound the intake will produce. i doubt our qx4's will sound like the video provided by frankencar. they should provide a video clip of the intake on a qx4, not another car with maybe the same VQ engine (obviously they were not using a qx4 because you can hear him shifting gears). thats good marketing tho....get something like a g35 with the frankencar intake, and record that on video and ppl will think that their car will sound like that. with the k&n intake, it is noticeably louder than stock, especially at mid to upper rpm's. and you can hear that cone filter sucking the moment you start the car(unlike some other intakes on other cars). my butt dyno felt some power gains as well. all in all i am happy with it and the sound it produces. but i didn't buy it for the sound, i bought it for alittle more power.the frankencar intake,imho, looks like just that. a frankenstein intake for your car. you could probably make one for cheaper at home depot. i went with the k&n simply because thier setup look ed better as far as fit and finish. installation was easy, and all sensors and vacuum connections are re-used. you can see some pics in my photo gallery (listed as my homepage).

larryt

usc45, Thanks for posting those pics. That really is a clean install. BTW, you've got a super sweet ride. Did you combine that intake with any other mods (exhaust, etc)?Please keep us updated with any impressions you have after continued usage.

usc45

thanks larryt. i don't have any more mods besides the intake and the wheels. i was thinking about a custom exhaust, but i don't want this truck to be loud at all. i will let you guys know if i come into any problems. so far so good.

Jack44

Granted...A custom cold air air intake will give you maybe 8-10 hp diffrence...Who you trying to race?..another QX4?..It's a beautiful running SUV...Take the $200 plus dollars and have a nice dinner and tell yourself, I made a great decision to by this "Truck"...You really won't notice a difference with a CAI...

leeQX4

It's funny you mention that. Before, I said the same thing, coming from a 0-60 in 6.3 sec stock car. Who am i going to race in a Qx4? Well just so happen, soon as i picked up my truck I have had more people trying to race me in domestic trucks, civics, other nissans, other import trucks etc ... than I have ever had in any of my previous cars. That to me is funny. When my cousin in his 2000 auto max said my truck was slow, I decided to look for mods. After modding my truck and he kept his maxima auto stock we would race a couple times like: he follow me, or I follow him or maybe a few stoplight to stoplight races. Now that I am modded, I edge him out everytime. I actually like racing civics and cars that are in the 8 sec range. I bought a g20 mainly for modding it for the track, and my qx4 with mods runs all over it. Same with my other cousin with a 240sx. I run all over his car too. It's fun modding and making the possible out of impossible stats. The look on Tahoe/Expedition/explorer/mountaineer/navigator and other domestic trucks driver's faces = PRICELESS when i race them from a stoplight.:D Heaven help I get my hands on a fx45 or 35 and mod/supercharge it. ;) :D

larryt

usc45,I just ordered the Aircharger for my Pathfinder. Did you disconnect the battery to let the emissions control unit reprogram? Is this necessary?

usc45

i did disconnect the battery, but not for the intake as i was installing foglights on the little pushbar at the same time. i usually never disconnect the battery for intake installs unless it is in the way. there was a discrepency in the instructions on step 13 however. once you get the intake, post here or pm me and i'll go more into detail. but i'll let you know now that the bolts and spacer they want you to use won't work. these bolts are for a bracket that help holds the intake tube in place more securely. the spacer is too high and the bolts are too short. i omitted the spacer and re-used the stock bolts. even without the spacer, everything lined up perfect once you tighten all the bolts, unless they changed this in the kit. this wasn't a biggie to me, but it'll save you from "wtf is going on here?" headaches.

larryt

usc45, thanks for the head-up. I installed my K&N Aircharger last night. The spacer seemed to work fine and with the included bolts, everything bolted right on, including the spacer. They must have corrected it after feedback.

Overall, it was an easy install, even where the instructions are less than clear, you can figure out what to do.

The materials are solid and seem well engineered, it's a really clean finished product. The filter is HUGE compared to the stock filter.

As for driving with it, I can't wait to get out of work and get back behind the wheel. It pulls a little harder than before, and sounds awesome at higher revs. It definitely sounds more like that video on the Frankencar website (though I think you'd need an exhaust to complete that sound). Coming from a V8 SUV with exhaust, intake, etc., the relatively quiet engine was killing me.

I'll post later to see if I can report any increase in MPG (after I stop mashing the gas all the time to hear it flow), and any potential problems with the MAF.

I am a little disappointed that I couldn't try the Frankencar. E-mails to both their contact people went unanswered, and the two provided cell phone numbers were never answered. I got a little nervous with what any future problems, warranty, or tech support would be like.

usc45

glad everything worked out for you larry :ylsuper

leeQX4

Hey guys, just got back from vacation. Frankencar sent out the CAI and I received it on 7/3 by usps (Utterly.Slow.parcel.shipping) and I didn't get a chance to put it on before my long trip. Anyway, I got back on 7/9 and decided to put it on before i relaxed. Well let's get to the CAI. First off, I hope you guys know your engine bay, I had to do a couple refitments and parts pulling but wha-la. I told the guys at frankencar that I pretty much knew my engine bay so, instructions were not with the item. I didn't take pics yet because i am still testing and making sure i have fitting problems corrected (remember this is still a prototype/fix as you go item). Well anyway, all piping was removed all the way up to the throttle body. I decided to use some of the stillen parts along with frankencar to create a really nice CAI.

Now for the testing, after an 1 hour for install (stupid bolts and hoses and me not having all the correct tools.) Anyway, when you start the truck, you get the instant sucking sounding (like what you get from all cais). The sound of fresh air passing through a dry filter. I had the battery unplugged for about three hours so, I am hoping that had reset the ECU. Now it was time for the revs. I did three hard revs to 5,000rpms and the sound was unbelieveable. VRROOMM VRRROOOMM CAI noise, Impressive. I closed the hood and took the QX4 on the nearest interstate rt50 for about 2 miles. Man the rush of the CAI and no restriction for Air Intake along with my complete exhaust overhaul was just unbelievable. Words can't describe the QX4, this truck should have been made like this from the get go. The truck takes off from a stand still and as it climbs rpms the roar of the CAI just takes over, it's a beast. Like most CAIs (AEM, K&N and Hotshot, Injen) the CAI roar only kicks in on WOT or upper RPMS.

I will get some 0-60 videos with speedometer/tachometer footage and highway sprints for you guys. Trust me, last night i pulled on a murano from a stoplight to stoplight race. Highly impressive for a 4200 pound truck. I will give you my complete review at the end of the week with vids.

Oh and usc45, the install and intake might not look the best, but from my butt dyno, it is the best intake so far that i have tried for the qx4. Extra pluses and kudos for the dry dual-funnel Apexi cone-airfilter too.

lee

leeQX4

Here is the unfinished product of the frankencar intake. Bare with me as i fix it up a little.

:D :ylsuper

Jack44

Does anyone make a true Cold Air Box, one that is not open just sucking in "Hot Air"???

larryt

Assuming you are talking about the AirRaid-type replacement intake boxes for GM and Ford, where it actually replaces the old intake box and draws from the wheel well or other cool source, I haven't seen one for Nissan/Infiniti.

The probable reason for no such intake is because all of the air from the stock box is drawn through the small hole at the bottom of the box in the Path/QX4. To take advantage of isolation from the engine compartment while drawing more air, one would need to open that hole up considerably.

A couple of observations from my new K&N kit regarding intake of hot air: The heat shield seems to be doing its job very well. The shield itself gets hot after lengthy use, yet the top of the filter (which is stainless or aluminum) doesn't seem to warm up at all. Just by looking, I can see that air is being drawn from behind the head light, the hole from the stock intake, and from below the heatshield, all seem to be pretty cool sources.

leeQX4

There is no true CAI for the pathfinder/Qx4. I on the other hand, will be creating one with parts from the Frankendcar intake and my good friends at kelley's muffler. I am going to have a custom pipe bended and molded to my truck hole where I removed all of the air restrictions to the wheel-well. THERE is NO true CAI when the weather is really hot an humid. Studys show that even cai's on hot days reduce the cars performance because, the car is now sucking in alot of hot-air. HOW can there be a true cai when the weather is hot. Even the wheel-well of my g20t and previous cars i have owned, air is pretty hot by the tires. You have the tires being hot, brakes and rotors hot and the hot air from the weather. So basically, your car is going to be breathing in hot air no matter where it's located. Not only that, when you have your wheel splash guard trim on, foglights, splashdam etc... how is the cai going to breathe in such little room? I really think there is no true cai. Unless your cai is sitting in a cooler or has a constant rush of REAL cold air as if it was 40 degrees outside. I am going to have my custom built CAI put on this weekend. I will give you guys impressions later. Meanwhile, any Intake on the market is better than driving STOCK and if you are driving stock, then you won't know what you are missing until you try something, even if it's a 'Hot Air' Intake.:pface ;)

Oh and the Frankencar intake does not come with a heatshield and it still performs well. Unless there is a shield or something that COMPLETELY ISOLATES the filter from the heat in the engine bay, and makes the air 10-20 degrees cooler, a heat shield that is only taking off two or 4 degrees of heat is really not going to make the CAI perform that much better than a cai that does not come with one. 80-90 degree weather and under your hood is even hotter because of the engine and parts so let's say it's now 100 degrees in your engine bay and the heatshield takes off maybe 1-10 degrees keeping the car at 90 in the engine bay, how much heat is the shield actually protecting? Anyway, just for bells and whistles, I was going to have my shop make me a custom heatshield this weekend but, I have decided to go full custom CAI to the wheels instead just to see how much of a difference in performance an extra foot of pipe would do. :rolleyes

REACTOR '03

Hey everyone its been a while since I have posted, I do a lot of lurking though. I have some input that may be of interest. Air Aid does make a box for Nissan but its for the X-Terra it replaces the whole bottom part of the box. Here is the link http://www.airaid.com/520-130_nissan.aspNot much help for up Pathfinder & Qx4 owners.

The other thing is that I have found that the black plastic that is next to the fog light on the newer Pathfinder like the '03 for example is not just a solid piece of plastic like the ones in the 96-99's.I know of two people on cardomain that cut that plastic on the '96-99, and run hose from it up to the intake, similar to what you would find on the back of a clothes dryer, to make a cool air intake. I suspect it would help alot on the high-way and have similar characteristics to having a RAM Air Intake. I think a similar solution could be made for our Pathfinder's that would minimize drawing hot air for the wheelwell and engine bay. as LeeQX4 pointed out. The only problem would be finding the best way to isolate the intake itself from the engine bay. I think that even with that by the time the air gets to the intake it will still be warm from the ambient temperature in the engine bay.Weapon R has a RAM intake kit that comes with some thing like a funnel that wraps around the filter and sends the air that is sucked directly from outside to the intake without just sending it up into a section of the engine bay and would seem to minimize heating of the air once in the engine bay. It does not just send air into the a section of the engine bay which is essentially what a heat shield seem to do, divide the engine bay into a smaller section to help isolate the intake from the ambient engine temperature. I'd like to try it but I am away from my Path right now and she only has 8k on her. Still breaking it in. :)

Go to the link below and click on RAM Air and you well see a picture of the funnel I was talking about, it only seems to fit on Weapon R Dragon Filters though.http://www.weapon-r.com/

larryt

While tightening and adjusting the K&N Aircharger last week, I briefly unplugged the MAF connection with the key ON (I know, a bonehead move). The Service Engine Soon light came on and has been on since.

How do I reset it?

Everything runs fine as it did before, and I've seen various posts re resetting the light for other vehicles, just wondering how for the Pathfinder.

Do I need to take it to a repair shop or Autozone to clear the code that is likely stored?

REACTOR '03

If you unhook one terminal from the battery for 5-10minutes everything should be reset, and the light should be offwhen you recconect. R3

qdao

Does anyone have a picture of the K&N Air Charger in their 2001-2004 QX4? Thanks.

larryt

I think usc45 has some on his homepage.

qdao

USC45,

Are you out there? I have a 2001 QX4 and I am thinking to install the K&N CAI kit. Do you have a picture and what kind of performance did you get? Thanks.

larryt

Scroll up about 11 posts, and click on profile at usc45's last post.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”