Whistling/whirling noise

A great resource for Nissan Sentra, Infiniti G20, 200sx, Pulsar, NX1600, NX2000, Tsuru, Primera and Sunny owners.
Guy77
Car: 2009 Sentra SE-R

New member here. I looked around the web and this is definitely the best forum regarding Nissan vehicles.

I own 2 sentras both are 2009. One (2009 2.0L FE+)has 306,000 km and runs like a dream , all original parts.

I have a 2nd sentra (149,000 km) which is a 2009 SE-R (2.5L QR engine) that makes a type of whistling whirling noise on slight acceleration when it is on the highway or above 60km/hr . I purchased this car recently knowing about the noise before hand. Only happens if I touch throttle lightly, if I hit throttle hard or turn off O/D there is no whistling/whirling type of noise. I found the article below on this forum and it describes my issue exactly. The solution in article was to replace/repossition throttle body and gasket.

air-intake-suction-whistling-t334667.html

The vehicle in this article is a 2009 Murano. Could it be possible that my Sentra SE-R has the same issue?

Cheers
Guy

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

Hey Guy77, sorry for the delayed response/ notice of your thread. So, belated welcome to NICO Club!

Is the car still whistling and whirling? I think you could start by popping the hood, running the engine (while in park of course) and listening to your intake area. Maybe have a friend give it some throttle at times. See if you can't pinpoint the location of the sound.

Sometimes cars have similar issues and symptoms, sometimes they are close, but not the same. Maybe that Murano issue is a clue, maybe it's a wild goose chase down the wrong path. What you do say does make one think of leaks in the intake system. Could be near the air box (I've seen multiple people with check engine light on, only because the air intake filter box wasn't closed and latched all the way) or it could be near the throttle body.

You could try the old carb cleaner spray trick and see if your rpms change.

Good luck and again sorry for the slow reply. Please let us know how it goes.

Guy77

Thanks for all the suggestions centralcoaster33! I definitely need to get a second person to troubleshoot the issue while I listen under the hood. I will need to have the car on a lift since someone will need to accelerate while I listen under the hood. The noise only happens when the engine is under load ( in drive mood) so i will need to lift car. Noise appears to be coming from top of engine. My brother has an automotive repair shop and when he has time i will have him help me. I will update my post once we discover the cause. Otherwise my 2009 SE-R is a very fun car to drive. The sport tuned suspension and the sport tuned CVT transmission with paddle sifters really make the car fun to drive in the city .

Thanks again.
Gaetano

centralcoaster33

Hmm, if it only does it in drive and not otherwise, I'd be concerned it's the CVT. Hopefully not. Keep us posted please and good luck!

Guy77

Well. I decided to take the Car to Nissan dealership here in Toronto this morning.
I left it there and 30 min after getting home I got a call from them. They indeed said it was the CVT that was causing the noise.
They are replacing the CVT for me for free ..... parts and Labour! They will also do a software update for me.
So happy to get this news!

Cheers
Guy
:woot:

centralcoaster33

Aha! Sometimes I like being correct... but only sometimes. I'm glad they're taking care of you under warranty and that you'll be getting a new tranny. That's kind of exciting! It's kind of weird to be so happy about a failed transmission, but I get it. I have a Camry that seems to have an excessive oil consumption issue. Toyota did a recall and based on a test, they'll rebuild your engine for you with new piston rings and such. No charge! So, I went in actually hoping to fail the test. I'd like a rebuilt engine! But, no dice for me. They said it was not consuming enough oil. Sure, I can't make it between oil changes without the dipstick going dry, but that's not bad enough according to them.

Anyway, cheers and let us know the good news when it's all back together!

Guy77

Hi centralcoaster33, yes you were spot on. I also have a friend with a Camry with same issue as you, he has not gone to dealer yet.
I will post an update regarding my 2009 Sentra SE-R next week when i pick up the car. Will uber it for a few days lol.

Cheers!

Guy

Guy77

Got the car back recently and all the weird noises are gone! Car drives very smooth . Very happy with the results! They told me they installed a 2010-2012 model cvt even though my car is a 2009 model. They also inspected and cleaned out my transmission radiator that sits in front of my regular radiator, its a small unit that measures about 7 x 11 in .
Cheers
Guy

Return to “Sentra Forum / Infiniti G20 Forum / Pulsar / NX Forum”