Air Intake & Performance

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
fuzzytlam

I have noticed that there are very few after market performance parts for the G35 Coupe. Does anyone know where I can get an cold air Intake for the car. I've done so many searches but the only thing I can find is the Injen air intake, but it has been posted that there might be stalling problems with this intake with the 6MT at high speeds.

I realize that Infiniti owners might not be in the age bracket where there is alot of interest to modify their cars, but come on, there are so many after market air intakes for almost everycar on the market. It is an item that is cheap to make/purchase and easy to install.

The car performs beautifully, but a little better throttle response would be very nice.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I have looked too, but haven't found much. I believe taht Aries put one in his G35 sedan, but I don't know which he put in or where he found it. You may also want to call Joe the parts man and see if he can get anything. Otherwise, let me know if you find something.

juiceman

stillen and injen are the ones I have heard of

Alot of people are getting the stillen box and using the 350Z intake tube to reduce restriction. Better flow and throatier sound

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

the more research I do, the more it looks like you are not going to gain much over the stock airbox.

Nissan designs a damn good stock intake system.

my recommendation: stick on a 350Z duct and a K&N drop in and leave it until you do your exhaust system. that will probably be all you need until you go TC/SC/internal engine mods

Part of the problem is our ECU's do not react well with the increased air flow and cannot add enough fuel to take advantage of it.

Welcome to OBDII ecu's :D

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

juiceman wrote:stillen and injen are the ones I have heard of

Alot of people are getting the stillen box and using the 350Z intake tube to reduce restriction. Better flow and throatier sound
yep, that's what I did.Stillen Box and a Injen 350Z tube.

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

The ODB2 ecu still has some reserve and the factory safety reserve [richness] available if you can figure a way for the engine to injest more air.........to use up the extra fuel already available.

The Chapman replacement plenum seems to work and some exhaust replacements [Stillen] seem to add up to 5-6-7 HP.Meticulous tuning and external parts replacement can find the usual 10% reserve............without adversely affecting reliability and engine life too much.

The adverse reactions to air flow changes are more the temperature and shape [lack of smoothness] of the air flow confusing the MAF.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Aries wrote:yep, that's what I did.Stillen Box and a Injen 350Z tube.

How much did the parts cost for that? It is just a simple litle thing to do right? I haven't done anything in my engine compartment yet, plus I haven't had the time or money to mess with it. I am hoping to do something like the air intake this fall.

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

Do you mean Crawford plenum Q45tech? or did you simply misspell it? (not meaning to be pissy, I thought there was only one out there right now)

I have done dyno tests on the VQ35DE that showed both and improvement and a loss from both a WAI (frankencar) and a CAI (Hotshot) depending on my other mods. these tests done on an altima.

I also have dyno graphs proving the stock box out performed both (albeit with an aftermarket midpipe (trueflow by RM racing)).

the ecu's are weird. Not enough R&D has been done with these machines to say "for sure, blah blah intake is the best" as it can vary with your gas, the other mods you have etc.

that is why I recommended to stick with the stock airbox and a z tube. then when you finish out your exhaust system and headers you can get the intake that matches best.

DJames

-hey fuzzytlam

Injen has fixed that problem about stalling... they released a new one for the G36 6MT Coupes the model number is RD#1992 .. before that one came out people were putting the RD#1990 in and that was the problem but injen has just ficed it recently i just got my injen intake today. installing it this weekend

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Thinking of Crawford!

The problem with aftermarket intakes or air filters is the MAF calibration was done with oem! Different intakes/filters can flow the EXACT SAME AMOUNT [or less] but create air vortexes, swirls, and tumbles at the MAF sensor POINT creating measurement errors.

If the MAF voltage is a tiny bit lower than as designed the ecu may calculate a lower air flow..........this will make the injection time less so the engine runs LEANER..........This is where any power gains come from.........not any increase in real airflow!

In effect you are using up some of the oem safety factor by leaning the engine.

Read the grams per second of air flow from ODB2 to know for sure what's what.

When you can look in the factory intake and see the air filter element, you know the restriction is very minor.

Tested oem vs drop in filters ........very hard to measure any difference 1" of water column at max.......1/28=0.0357142 psi....something like 0.235% power gain~=~ 0.63 HP

nuttyprof

dont know if anyone is interested in this, but i have a K&N Typhoon intake system for my 6MT Sedan. had it for about 2000 miles and its perfect. seems K&N did a loot of R&D and has everything working perfectly, not like the other crap companies that rushed to get somethign out. i am selling it though as im making one out of carbon fiber for show. if anyone wants to buy it, email me at [email protected]

motordog1

I have been looking at the Nismo R cold air intake. Found one location that sells it for just 22.00 over dealer cost 269.00, (Academy Nissan in Colorado) Does anyone have experience with this cold air intake designed for the Z. Will it fit my G35 Sedan and if it will what are the warranty and performance consequences vs the Z pipe + k & n or Stillen.

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”