Air Induction System Removal?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
ericthegreat

I'm wondering if anyone has removed the air induction system from their trucks. I've got an 84 2.4L and managed to lose the reed valve from the air induction box on the air filter. I must have dropped it when I took things apart to change the plugs. Lets just say that having exhaust venting directly into the airbox tends to destroy an air filter pretty quick!

I've been reading my Hayes and it looks like this is part of the emissions system and it allows cold air to go into the exhaust manifold to help with detonation of the exhaust. Since I can't find a replacement reed valve anywhere I'd rather just remove it. Has anyone done this? If so did you notice any performance difference? How did you plug the holes on the exhaust manifold?

Thanks!

PEZi
Car: Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX Mitsubishi Racing Edition

do you have pics? i have a general idea of what you're saying here... but mine in particular didn't have any holes on the exhaust mani....

pics will make this an easy fix.... i personally did a delete like you're talking about

offroadbob
Car: 96 240sx, 84 720 4x4

I removed it all from my truck! i just bought a one of those air filter trays for a chevy and the adapter pack from CSK. at first i just sealed the tubes off by cutting and welding them closed then I bought a header and it solved all my problems.

ericthegreat

Here's the pics:

ericthegreat

As you can see I don't have it hooked to the airbox any longer. I've got a plate screwed in there that you can't see here so the exhaust doesn't vent into the intake for the time being.

seang
Car: Ford Fiesta ST

If you downsize your pics to about 21% or a little less while they are still on your PC before you upload them to photobucket, it makes it way easier to see them. They are humongous.

ericthegreat

Thanks, first time I posted images to the forum.

dogred
Car: 1983 D720

This will be easy for the parts but hard for the install

Get your hands on a air cleaner for an 83 and the header for an 83 and install them.

flinterman2000
Car: 2000 Nissan Wingroad, 85 Datsun 720 Pick Up.

Cut, fold and weld the tubes from the manifold. About two inches from the manifold will be enough. You have already blanked off the air cleaner housing

Return to “Datsun 720”