air in brake line problems

Nissan 300ZX technical discussion forum: Maintenance, performance, installations, modifications, how-to's and troubleshooting.
Sdavne
Car: Nissan 300zx n/a 2+0 5 speed sliver

i have a 1990 300zx non turbo, i split the calibers apart in the front right wheel and when re sealed it i bled the lines in each wheel. this did not work so i did it two more times taking each wheel off at a time starting with the one farthest from the master cylender. (back right back left front right and than front left.) there was a little bit of air in the lines in the front left, but not alot. the brakes are still bad. i can just push them to the floor and they bairly work. unless i pump them then they will grab. any thoughts on what to do?

es.biggs
Car: 1990 300ZX 5sp NA

Keep bleeding them...there is still air in the system. As long as there is air in the lines, you will have to pump the brakes to make them work. Because liquid doesn't compress but air does, as you pump the brake pecdal, you compress the air to the point where it won't compress any more and that is where your brakes start working.

I had to bleed a new ish chevrolet pickup for about an hour and a half to get the air out of the lines. I have no idea what happened, but the air got stuck in there pretty good. Just keep at it man, there are really not a whole lot of options when it comes to getting the air out, and none of them are really easy, at least in my experience.

just make sure....NEVER LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN DRY!!!!

good luck man

Sdavne

i did that again and again and still have a little air in lines. when i bleed it does the cap have to be off the ,astercylender? casue i left it screwed on. also they sell a bleeding kit? do you think i swhould try that or does it not work?

thaixcore
Car: 1991 NA 300zx Slicktop

es.biggs wrote:NEVER LET THE MASTER CYLINDER RUN DRY!!!!

make sure it always has fluid. pump the brakes as much as you can before you loosen the bleeder. dont let go of the brake until it's tightened all the way, otherwise air will get back in. correct me if im wrong.

BigTDogg (MA)
Car: 1990 300ZX Twin Turbo

Don't forget to bleed the ABS unit. Located behind the passenger seat, opposite the headlight aimers.

Sdavne

wait how do you bleed the abs unit? and i dont think my abs works i have a unichip and my wheels lock up when i slam on brakes? it has done that since i got the car.? and where is the abs located?

tomtastic
Car: 1992 300ZX Twin Turbo

I changed my rear pads last week, took tires off about three times before I got it out. Helps to have a person in car and pumping them while you bleed. I removed the rubber cap so that it was uncapped and loosened the bleeding needle.

Have the person in the car pump three or four fast pumps and then hold it down, on the last hold down pump tighten the needle. Then repeat for the other side. That usually works for me. Make sure to fill with new fluid as you do it.

BigTDogg (MA)

Sdavne wrote:wait how do you bleed the abs unit? and i dont think my abs works i have a unichip and my wheels lock up when i slam on brakes? it has done that since i got the car.? and where is the abs located?
The ABS unit has nipples. I think the proper order is something like

LFRRR-ABS nippleRFRRF-ABS nipple

Ace2cool
Car: 1991 Nissan 300ZX TT
1966 Datsun Fairlady 1600
2005 Suzuki GSX-R 600
1974 Honda CB550 Four
2009 Ford F150 Lariat

The later years removed the ABS bleed nipples, IIRC. Not entirely sure which years, but I think it was '94.

BigTDogg (MA)

Yup, I think you're correct. I know they were removed at some point, and that year sounds about right.

Would help if the OP got a little more specific than "300ZX" as the type of car they drive.

Sdavne

no i do have abs, i asaid i had a 1990, and i looked it up and i do have abs, but it does not work and i think it has somthing to do with the unichip and the car was tuned. also where is the abs located?

BigTDogg (MA)

I meant year, 2+0 or 2+2 and TT or NA information.

Your ABS unit is located directly behind the passenger, under the 1/4 window, for a coupe.

I don't know where it is in a 2+2

Return to “300ZX (Z32) Technical”