Air Filter Up grade

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
GMachine
Car: cars, camping, sports

Just got my 2003.5 G35 5AT Sedan Aero 2 weeks ago and am loving it! Dusted a 330i the other day w/o even taking it past 5K in any gear!Just wondering if anyone has any info on HP increases with a switch to K&N airfiltercharger. I was told the G35 V6 is so optimized on air flow that the K&N would offer only about 2-3HP. Any info appreciated.

Gmachine

Aries
Car: LT1 240SS

this is true.the K&N filter only picked up 2 hp on our G35 coupe.

GMachine

Thanks Aries,I think I'll still get the K&N filter because I was told it will improve gas mileage by 1 - 2 mpg in town and about 1 mpg on the hywy.Next I'll be looking at chips to see if I can regain a bit of the 20HP lost from the exhaust over the coupes's HP output. Any ideas on good brands of chips?

Gmachine

Aries

I haven't really been playing much with the chips...Since I have a D-Link assembly and tuning software for the laptop I've just been toying with the settings to get everything where I like it.

My main reason for doing the K&N was that I wouldn't have to buy a new filter every year (I know you're only supposed to need to do the filter every 45k miles, but I do it more regularly) and a $75 filter was just perfect as a long term replacement :)

GMachine

D Link and tuning software? Sounds hard core, - can you use this with an ordinary laptop and limited computer knowledge?

I priced out the K&N here in Canada, and I can get it for $59.00 CDN or about $42 US, so maybe I should start selling to the states! Ha ha.

Thanks for the reply and I'm hoping to get some pics of my sedan on this week. Do you have pics of your coupe?

Gmachine

Aries

I would seriously not advise it if you don't have a good working knowledge of ECU Prom code.

I've got some pics arround here somewhere...I think they're under the wife's stack of time slips...

GMachine

Good advise on the D Link system, - I'm going to enjoy my G35 for at least a few thousand k's before doing too much to her. Great to have a wife who's into cars as well, - mine tolerates my passion, but isn't much of a car nut, - drives a 2003 Ford Focus SE wagon!

Anyway, thanks for the info - very helpful to confirm my thoughts on the K&N!Gmachine

DJames

i heard that the injen intakes adds 12-15 hp on the g35 :)

GMachine

Is that the K&N air filter by itself, or the K&N aircharger intake assembly etc? If it is the complete intake assembly, do you know if it voids the warranty?12 - 15 HP is a great increase if all you have to do is change out the air intake.

DJames

if you have the change the whole thing the intake cost about 300 i think check there site out :)

Aries

I paid $290 for mine, and it's going on this weekend.

I'll fire up the dyno Monday and tell you guys the gains :)

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

To make the gains realistic compare closed hood to closed hood.

I am not a huge friend of any oil based filter, I feel they will eeventually coat your MAF (w/ bad results) and in the meantime filter less.....

Fred...:)

Aries

I personally don't use the oil.After pulling the filter out of the box it gets washed to remove that crud befor it goes on the car :)

DenverG35c
Car: Motor sports, computer solitaire...

I heard an Infinti salesman talking up Advanced FLOW Engineering filters. The company was formed by a couple of guys who broke away from K&N. They don't make any specific claims on their site: http://www.afefilters.com Cost is $58.95. Anybody heard of them?

Aries

interresting, exactly like a K&N. I'd be willing to bet the gains are the same :)

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

Has anyone checked this out yet? The Advanced FLOW Engineering filter. I would be willing to give it a try, especially if the gains are the same and the price is lower. Keep me posted if you give it a try.

GMachine

Haven't checked out the Advanced Flow Engineering filter, as I'm not sure where to get in Canada. But I did check out website and it looks almost exactly like a K&N unit. I did check with my local Infiniti service dept and they advised that if I used a K&N ( or the aFE ) I should be sure to very lightly oil the filter and actually wash a bit off the factory prepped filter as they have had some problems with the oil causing problems with MAS in intake.I've ordered a filter and should have it in a week or so, so will let you know how it goes. Here in Canada the K&N is cheaper than the aFE unit so that's what I go with.

fungwun

GMachine: Hi there, I'm from Edmonton as well. Just got a question for you. Where did you order your air filter from? Also, does the air filter void the warranty. And lastly, are you putting it in yourself or are you getting the infiniti guys to put it in for you? I may be getting the coupe and am wondering if the air filter will push me close to the 300hp mark.

Cheers,

fungwun

ps which dealer did you deal with? I priced mine through Warren, he was really friendly without being pushy like the guys at Bavaria BMW.

GMachine

I got my G35 sedan at Erickson and my salesman was Warren, - he's ok, but they aren't discounting the cars very much due to the popularity and how great the cars are!

The K&N filter can be bought thru almost any parts store, like JBs, Bumper to Bumper, NAPA etc. I'm getting mine thru a friend who's in the business at a special rate, - sorry can't devulge source.On your coupe I've been told that the filter will add about 3 to a max of 6 hp, but will make the engine more responsive in the mid range to high range as it flows more air.It doesn't void the warranty, but if the dealership has to do repairs to MAS repeatedly, they may blame the filter and not pay for repairs. Best thing to do is reduce the amount of oil on the filter when installed and they say there will be no problems.

rydwhite

GMachine wrote:Is that the K&N air filter by itself, or the K&N aircharger intake assembly etc? If it is the complete intake assembly, do you know if it voids the warranty?12 - 15 HP is a great increase if all you have to do is change out the air intake.

I heard that Aries was going to install the aircharger intake awhile back and give us some dyno numbers. So, Aries, got any numbers for us?

How difficult is it to install? I installed a new intake on my Ranger a couple of years ago and it was pretty easy, but this is a much more complicated engine and compartment.

rydwhite

Has anyone put the K&N aircharger intake on the G35? I would really be interested in hearing of some numbers on increase. Does it really add 12-15 hp? Also, how difficult is it too install? It doesn't look too hard, but I haven't done any work on my G35 yet?

BlackJack40
Car: Women, Anime and Cars

Yeah, the boys at Mossy Nissan let me know that I should go the way of J. Wolf Technologies in terms of air filter setup. They tested the output at 6HP. I was thinking K&N but tested stats showed differently. K&N is great but sometimes different products yield better results.

rydwhite

I actually from someone through the grapevine, so, I don't know the accuracy, that the K&N airflow kit actaully took a couple of HP off rather than adding. The airflow system on the 35 is supposed to be almost perfect for the engine and any adjustment is either so small to help or actually hurts the hp.

Can anyone verify this?

BlackJack40
Car: Women, Anime and Cars

At Nissan, Oceanside, CA, they just said they had been working with another airfilter (J. Wolf in particular). For some reason, of which I haven't asked yet, they are using this other filter. I could ask them why the K&N filters/chargers are not optimal with the G35. I am going there next week. I'll ask when I go to get started on getting my air-unit placed.

Todd

BillR
Car: Offshore boating, cars, electronics

I installed the K&N filter and I changed out the G35 intake pipe for the 305Z intake pipe. Don't know (or care) if I got more power, but the sound past 3k is pure heaven!

nebijebi

rydwhite wrote:I actually from someone through the grapevine, so, I don't know the accuracy, that the K&N airflow kit actaully took a couple of HP off rather than adding. The airflow system on the 35 is supposed to be almost perfect for the engine and any adjustment is either so small to help or actually hurts the hp.

Can anyone verify this?
:help

COULD SOMEBODY LET ME KNOW ,IF THERE IS A CHIP OR AIR INTAKE SYSTEM TO ADD TO MY G35 SPORT SEDAN TO INCREASE MY POWER::help

Chris Krikorian

BillR. Does it sound like a deep racecar motor after 3K rpms? Cause my friend has a 1998 VW GTI VR6 and he ONLY has the Neuspeed P-Flo air intake pipe with the K&N cone air filter and it has the sickest sound after 3K rpms!!! It turns alll the heads around town, no exhaust no nothing.

-Chris

vq35de
Car: G35 Sedan Leather 6MT

this VQ engine sounds freaking awesome once you get some air to it

Had headers, racepipe, car sound cat, custom catback and stillen dual muffs on my altima with the STOCK airbox and the thing sounded like an F1 car. at 75 mph on the interstate you could feel the thing coming down the road.

OMG you must get headers to understand the VQ's potential OMG

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”