Air Conditioning - 2014 Rogue

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Bass4ever
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi all, just went on a trip with my 2014 Rogue SV. Air conditioning was on, blower at half speed. All of a sudden my passenger and I noticed the cabin was getting increasingly hot. Put out hands over the vents and noticedon't that practically no air was coming out. Cranked up the fan and still barely any air.

Decided to flick the air conditioning off while keeping the blower fan at the same speed and the air came rushing out.

Anyone else notice this?

Turned the airconditioning back on and ran fine for a while, then had to repeat a couple of times.

Any ideas???

D-Rock
Car: 2008 Rogue S AWD
2009 Rogue S AWD
2011 Rogue S AWD
2014 Rogue S AWD

I'm interested in the responses for this as mine did EXACTLY the same thing a few days ago. Mine's a 2014 as well with about 115K on it and this is the first time this has happened. It's been OK the past couple of days but that one time was very weird.

I did the same thing as you turning the A/C off and then the vents would work again. I would put the A/C back on and it would be fine for a few minutes but would fizzle out again. Strange.

Bass4ever

Very weird. Mine has 30k kms on the dash. Glad I'm not the only one.

Rogue One
Administrator
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX
2022 Honda Pilot Special Edition

Have you had the system checked to ensure the coolant doesn't need refilling? For most people, this is a DIY job.

Bass4ever

Wouldn't that not have anything to do with it? Car only has 30k on it. Also, when the fan is on, air comes out like crazy. When the AC is on for a little while, air slowly stops coming through the vent over time.

frijolito
Car: Rogue (Xtrail) 2020 Advance

Possibly condenser freezing up, this can also be to do with the level of refrigerant, not enough and system weirdly can freeze... when you turn it off, it defrosts, turn it on again, freezes etc.. just a idea.

Bass4ever

When the air stops coming through, I turn off the AC but leave the blower running and the air comes rushing out. Would that be the line freezing??

Bass4ever

Anyway to check this myself or needs to be done at the dealer?

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Watch the video.

Bass4ever

What video?

tsumeone
Car: n/a

I notice sometimes the AC comes on even though the AC light is not on (pretty obvious when the air is 20 degrees cooler than the outside air). I think the climate control software is just really buggy, like most of the other software in this car.

Bass4ever

I've got an appt with the dealer tomorrow. At least get it checked out while its still under warranty. I'll report back if any findings.

Bass4ever

They reset the vents, time to test!

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

Bass4ever wrote:They reset the vents, time to test!
What does that mean?

Bass4ever

Apparently they found a glitch in the opending, closing of the vents. They did a reset through software of the vents for recalibration. Seems to work for now! I'll let you know if the problem persists.

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

Bass4ever wrote:What video?
The one I posted above ▲▲▲
Rogue One wrote:Have you had the system checked to ensure the coolant doesn't need refilling? For most people, this is a DIY job.

D-Rock
Car: 2008 Rogue S AWD
2009 Rogue S AWD
2011 Rogue S AWD
2014 Rogue S AWD

Was there anything specific in the work order that could help as to what the specific repair was and the cost (I realize yours was under warranty but sometimes the price that it would have been is indicated)? I may investigate having this done, but since I'm outside of the warranty, and it's a company vehicle near the end of my time with it, it may not be a worthwhile venture and the fleet management company may not have it done. Thanks for your help.

Bass4ever

Vent reset door memory position. Took .4 hours. No price indicated. I'll be using it this weekend and I'll update on Sunday/ Monday whether the issue is resolved or not.

phmichel
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue S AWD
2017 Nissan Quest SV

A 2014 with 30k kms should still be under warranty, no?

Bass4ever

It is. But seems like the vent reset didn't work as I still have the same problem. Just wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing the same issue.

Koushtj
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

Hey i also have a 2014 and the same exact thing happened to me. you could hear the blower but absolutely no air was coming out. pressing the AC button to off it started going again. Also is just me or my 2009 Altima cools way more than this car, i find the AC very weak.

Bass4ever

So after the 2nd visit to the dealer, took the Rogue on a road trip from Montreal to just south of Plattsburgh (2 hours 1 way). A/C seems even worse then when I dropped it off the first time. Had to reset AC (turn it off/on) 6-7 times to get some cold air.. finally was just fed up and opened the windows.

Feels like after X time with the AC on the vents close; turn the AC off and the vents re-open.

No idea but starting to get fed up of dropping the car off at the dealer with no replacement vehicle offered by the dealer to get to and from work.

base0608
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

I own a 2015 Nissan Rogue that has around 9k miles on it. The AC will stop blowing cold air at times. It may stay off for 10 minutes, or the entire trip. There are other times the AC works fine. We have also noticed that the HVAC will switch between recirculate and fresh air on it's own. It will go back and forth for several minutes. I have taken it into the dealer and of course it wasn't acting up when they had it, so they are no help. I have been doing research and it seems that some others with 14-16 year models are having random AC/Heater issues. I called Nissan USA and they act clueless like they have never heard of HVAC issues on these vehicles. I am curious if anyone else has experienced issues like this before?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Merged with existing thread

kboo74
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium Pkg (Former)
2017.5 Nissan Murano SL Tech Pkg) (Former)
2019 Acura RDX A-Spec with Tech Pkg Performance Red

Try the search feature for the site. I believe this issue has been discussed before.

Ken

Rogue One
Administrator
2012 Nissan Rogue SL
2012 Honda CR-V LX

base0608 wrote:I own a 2015 Nissan Rogue that has around 9k miles on it. The AC will stop blowing cold air at times. It may stay off for 10 minutes, or the entire trip. There are other times the AC works fine. We have also noticed that the HVAC will switch between recirculate and fresh air on it's own. It will go back and forth for several minutes. I have taken it into the dealer and of course it wasn't acting up when they had it, so they are no help. I have been doing research and it seems that some others with 14-16 year models are having random AC/Heater issues. I called Nissan USA and they act clueless like they have never heard of HVAC issues on these vehicles. I am curious if anyone else has experienced issues like this before?

Thanks in advance.
We have an incredible SEARCH feature on this forum. Merged with existing thread.

--------> READ BEFORE CREATING NEW THREAD! <--------

base0608
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue SV

Hello. I am just check back to see if anyone has successfully gotten their AC issues resolved? Now that the weather is warmer here in VA, the issue continues. The dealer pretty much refuses to do anything until they can duplicate it.

marilynsanta
Car: Nissan Rogue 2016

2016 Rogue with 7,000 miles did same thing as original post after about 2 hours in Florida sunshine. Taking to dealer tomorrow. Searched for TSB's but didn't find any related to this problem. Expect dealer to not find a problem and charge me for the pleasure. If someone has a new idea, please share. THANKS.

Koushtj
Car: 2014 Rogue SL AWD

I have the same exact problem with my 14 Rogue SL. I also have been to the dealer multiple times and nothing has come of it. Don't understand why after so many calls and complaints from all of us they haven't recognised there is a problem with the system. This is going to be my last Nissan as well. the 1-800 people are as useless as the dealers.

Pager2015
Car: 2015 Rogue

I have a 2015 with the exact same problem. The ac works then without notice stops working. The blowers sounds as if they are working but no air comes out of the vents. Any thoughts?

zengshengliu
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue SL

I am not a mechanic, and I am not a HVAC guy, so what I said is only from my personal experience.
I had a similar issue before with my 08 Rogue, where AC works fine for short drive, but on long trip (4+ hours), about 3/4 into the trip, the AC will start blowing hot air, and stays there for like 5 minutes before switching back. What I found is that the AC system is "overcharge", along with high temperature and humidity which cause the drain the freeze up, result in the compressor to stop (to protect the compressor from overheating, I believe). What I did is I let some "gas" out from the AC line (low pressure port) and so far, I haven't have any issue.
Also, on a side note, if you use one of the commercial AC recharge kit, the pressure range is not correct for the Rogue (at least the first gen). If I charge the system to the green mark as indicated by the gauge, it is overcharged which cause the compressor to not work at all (you can hear compressor tries to kick in but stop in a second or two).
Again, this is from my personal experience on my 08 Rogue, so I cannot tell you if you have the same issue or not.

Return to “Rogue Forum”