Aftermarket sunroof gasket

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
jertapper
Car: 1996 J30

Has anyone replaced their sunroof gasket/seal with some aftermarket rubber/weatherstripping and had good success? I'm going to try some rubber from mcmaster carr (https://www.mcmaster.com/door-weatherst ... b-on-side/). It seems like the only solution I can find. Not sure if it will fit.

Would love to hear from anyone that has done it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Amayama has stock on the OE gasket 91246-10Y10, $91 + $18 shipping. Monotaro in Japan shows to also have stock, $99 but I don't know what the shipping would ding you.
https://www.amayama.com/en/part/nissan/9124610y10
https://www.monotaro.com/p/1014/5179/

jertapper

Thanks! I'm glad I asked. I was not aware of those options and I searched a lot. Ordered!

I did not want to weld in a patch panel or put the old one back in.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. Happy motoring!

jertapper

~$100 feels like a steal. I got a catalog from a rubber company and measured and went through trying to find something to fit. REALLY appreciate it. I had watched some videos on patching sunroofs and was really close to going that direction. I also went around to all the nissan cars at the junkyard with sunroofs measuring them trying to find matching size on newer models to no avail.

I wonder what other questions I can come up with that you have the answer to :biggrin:

I also want to replace my power steering rubber lines since they have peculiar bends and are super old. What do you have for that?

I also wonder what the best sealant will be to use to keep the water out of the channel in the gasket so the metal doesn't rust in there? I'll take any suggestions on that also.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Vis your power steering hoses, if they aren't available from Amayama or some other JDM source, most hydraulics places can recreate or rebuild P/S hoses using your original for a pattern or parts. The best way to check both domestic and JDM suppliers is by using the Infiniti p/n. You can get that by visiting InfinitiPartsDeal.com and plugging in your VIN. Even if parts are out of production and grayed-out in the diagrams, the original p/n's will still show up in the text lower down the page.

Your sunroof gasket is an air dam, it isn't meant to stop water. Water goes past it and into the channels that surround the roof, then out to the pavement through a hose at each corner. If water is getting into the car it means the drains are clogged, not that the gasket is bad. Here's the layout for your drains (parts drawing):

96 J30 Sunroof Parts.jpg
The fronts usually exit underneath the cowl cover, the rears behind the back wheels. Rears are generally easiest to access from the trunk and blown out bottom-up. Fronts can often be blown out from the top, but since clogs almost always occur at the bottom, the surest way is to pop the cowl cover.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Ps - When installing the gasket, WD40 the whole thing. It will slide into place a lot easier and the WD40 will lock it in place after it dries out, just like it does with rubber hoses.

jertapper

I'm talking about what to use for this "butyl sealant".

On my sunroof water has got in there a bit and rusted some of that lip. I have to clean all that up and maybe weld it a bit in parts.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Oh, gotcha. That's a very old-school setup, I was expecting a gasket that pushed into a lip in the glass. I'd say bathtub caulk is your best bet. Use the clear stuff, fill up the whole cavity so water has noplace to go and just wipe off the excess after it's in place.

jertapper

Yeah, she's an old girl. I took it apart to deal with the rust issue and just don't want to put the old nasty gasket back on having done all this work. The drains work fine.

I'd like to get new a new (not worn down key) and key cylinders for the ignition, trunk and doors. Got a solution for that? I searched around and haven't found one yet.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The key shouldn't be difficult if the locks are still original, the dealer can cut you a new one using the factory Key-Cut Code instead of a trace. If the cylinders are worn out that's a different story, but I'd try a fresh key and some graphite lube in the cylinders first.

jertapper

Got a new key from the dealer. It works in 2 of the 4. At least it's the 2 most important ones.

I need to try to put some graphite lubricant in them and see if I can get them going.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”